DVD-Rom no longer reading DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
It still reads CDs ok, but drop a DVD in there and it just spins and never recogizes a DVD. This is a Lite-On 163D from a few years back. I just played around with some newer firmware to see if that did anything, and it is still the same. Are there any tricks to getting DVD-roms to work again?

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
try cleaning your drive with cd lens cleaner,
it isd not ligical to read cd's and not read dvd's.
is these happens with every dvd you try to read?
are dvd's original(means movies) or self autoring(write by u)?
try these dvd's on some other dvd.if you are anable
to figure a way to read dvd buy a new one.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You can try this method below, it might work but if the problem is either on the circuit board or the laser head then it won't help.
Remove the 4 screws at the bottom cover of the DVD-Rom, try to move the circuit board to the side so you can have a little access to the two stainless beams that support the central laser head. The 2 steel thing that support the moving laser head, get some CRC or WD-40 and a little screw driver. squart a little of lubricant on the screw driver then little by little each time apply it on to the 2 steel thing that support the laser head, this will help the laser head to read the disc more efficiently.

You can also do this on PS2 that don't read discs very well. It works great, especially when the warranty for your PS2 already expired and they are going to charge you $100 to fix the reading disc problem. If there are some dust around the area where u going to apply lubricant you can try clean it off very gently with a cloth or vacume cleaner, but becareful not to thouch the laser head or apply too much force. And of course try not to touch any components on the circuit board either, because they are sensitive to static electric charge on ur hand.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I thougth that there might be a different part that reads DVDs as opposed to CDs. Should it really read both if it reads one?

I have lots of extra CD-Roms around, so I do not need this one if it does not read DVDs; I might just take this DVD-Rom apart and try to figure out what you mean by the two steell thing...

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You will see what I mean after u have a look at it inside. It's all the same inside, DVDrom, CDRW, DVDRW. There is always 2 cylindrical steel that support the Laser head in mid air, so the laser head can move forwards and backwards to read the discs you put in. Sometimes the laser head can't move smoothly so you can't read some discs properly, so applying some CRC or WD-40 will help.

stefan238391

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I once had an Asus DVD-ROM drive that would not play any DVDs. It didn't have any problems with CDs (at least not any obvious ones). After several trips to the shop (thay told me it was on the wrong IDE cable, that i needed to install some software, that my DVDs were bad, that it was actually working fine, that it's "not logical" for it to not play DVDs and play CDs) they admited it was defective and they replaced it.

G

I know this thread is old, but if your like me trying to fix this problem and found this googling it, here is what worked for me. I read the response about pulling the DVD-rom apart and lubing it up, but knew with my lack of skillz i would do much more damage then good no matter how "easy" it is. So i just sprayed the crap out of every crack with compressed air. It is working great now. I am so happy this has been broken for months.

meconomos

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
This seems to be an entirely new problem that is populating the net. Something non-mechanical is going on. Much of what people are finding as a fix is a Reg mod, some having to do with nuking the UpperFilters an LowerFilters in the HKLocalMachine\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then unistalling the driver for the DVD/CD-ROM, rebooting and letting the OS reinstall the drivers, or doing it manually.

I have not gotten this to work. I don't intend the above as instructions, I wish to point out that there is a problem that is prevalent, not hardware-related, and, I'm guessing, WinVista (or broader) Update Related.

Still looking.

Basically, any data CD or DVD that I have, that I have created, is just fine.

Any purchased DVD, brand new or old, readable everywhere else, cannot be read. The DVD is not recognized at all. The OS spits the tray out just as it would if you asked for a directory of the DVD/CD device but had no DVD in the drive.

Putting in the DVD, it'll gronk-gronk, as if in an earnest attempt at reading the disc (and for a long time, knowing there is something to be read) - ultimately determining the disc is not really there. It is not even given a chance at being blank (formatting is not entertained), the determination is that:

there is no DVD in the drive.

My Vista Home Prem 32 on an HP dv2660se was fine until about a week and a half ago. At one point, it did recognize one movie DVD, but not another, continuing to think that that DVD volume, and no other was still there.

Anything I find that helps, I'll report back. If anyone finds more on this, I'd appreciate it.

examples of solutions that haven't worked for me:
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-109591-my-lg-dvd-rw-reading-cds-but-not-dvds
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-72997-dvd-drive-will-not-read-write

Microsoft's "fix" didn't do it for me, but here it is gang:

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

For information about your hardware manufacturer, visit the following Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/vendors/en-us

Help!

AnnaIntoxication

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I bought the Witcher for PC today and put it in my Disc drive and it's not reading it, at all. It does not see a disc in the drive. When I click on The E drive it just ejects my tray saying to put a Disc in. It reads Another game, Morrowind, so it's not making sense as to why it's not reading this. I've tried:updating/disable-reenabling/uninta… the dvdrom drive. I've tried going into registry edit and deleting the "upper" and "lower" filters as many sites suggested and rebooting and re installing the driver, all to no avail. I have spent hours trying to fix it and do not know what to do next. I have an Asus K5OIJ running windows vista and a Slimtype dvd a ds8a3s cd rom drive. If you can help me at all or give me any solutions to try, please give me as detailed as possible step by step solutions. I really want to play this game! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS