DVD writer no longers writes dvds. Any way to fix?

starkie24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I have an emprex 16x dvd writer, I've written a few dvds (about 30-40) and now when I write dvds they don't work and don't show up in the cd or dvd drives. Can anyone suggest a fix or a dvd writer that will write more dvds without dying?
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Have you updated the DVD drivers, and removed the old ones?

Also, check your media burning package is up to date, and installed properly.

starkie24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Hey, yeah all the drivers are up to date and properly installed. I've had no problems till now I figured its the dvd writer is bung from having written so many dvds.

ThePimp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Try reflashing with / to the latest firmware. This works well with a lot of drives that stop recognising media. Numerous times I have saved myself money in replacing a optical drive by reflashing the firmware (and some of the drives are in use now still, 4 years after flashing!).

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hey, yeah all the drivers are up to date and properly installed. I've had no problems till now I figured its the dvd writer is bung from having written so many dvds.

I have an Aopen DVD drive and have written 350+ DVD's with it and it is still going strong. Did you install anything new or change any settings right before this happened?

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i hope that u already have been tryoed other soft to burn dvds.
did u use your sift propertly ,i means(did u colse the dvd).
a good thing is to reflash the drive
(or better check if new firmware is avaible) ,
use quality media, reduce wriring speed to 8x.
i have a nec drive for 4-5 years ,i have burn 1000+ dvd's still works like the first day,so if you still have problems get a nec drive.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Does the drive read other DVD's ??? and can the DVD's be read by other drives?

The laser used to read the dvd's may has failed. A different laser is used to read cd's.

starkie24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
No nothing that I imagine could effect it like this. It still writes and reads cds no problems and reads dvds its just writing them thats the problem. And we haven't removed anything that could have effected it either.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

I have an Aopen DVD drive and have written 350+ DVD's with it and it is still going strong. Did you install anything new or change any settings right before this happened?

Hello

I have a question for you. What software do you use to break encryption from sony motion pictures. I can not copy movies from sony motion pictures. Can you tell me.

Thanks.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I use dvd decrypter then dvd shrink to fit them onto one disc instead of using dual layer discs.

You can not copy all of the dvds with these two. Have you ever tried movies from sony motion picture. I can not burn dvds from sony motion picture. Do you know how to burn them.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I use anydvd with any other software. DVD shrink is my software of choice. I like it because of its ease of use. Anydvd is $40 from slysoft.