need to upgrade

tronica

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Lately all my hardware has died on me and i kept putting it of replacing it . I only have $300 to spend. Heres what i have already:

amd 3000+
1GB stick pc3200
2x 512 pc3200
and i have the hard drive and case psu.

i don't have a graphics card now.

Ok so I want to know if i should upgrade the processor. or keep it and get a new board and video card. I would appreciate your suggestions. THanks

i forgot to mention that i do some gaming

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
So you're asking if you should
a) keep the processor and buy a new motherboard and video card, or
b) buy a new CPU, video card, and motherboard?
c) something else? (explain)

I'd say probably just buy the motherboard and video card, your cpu is old, but far from useless, .

For gaming, video card is more important than CPU, generally. A better CPU (say, a 3800+) will probably eat 1/3 of your budget, and not give you too much advantage in games. But you can probably get a pretty respectable motherboard and video card for $300.

Good choices for your budget.

If you wanted to upgrade your cpu as well, the best I could find for your budget is a 4000+ oem boxed. $95 at newegg, and you would have to reuse your old cooler.

tronica

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
do you think a amd 3000 1gb ram and that board and vid card will be a nive combo. Maybe i can overclock it a bit.

I am shure you will be able to game on it just fine, but your video card will probably be cpu bound.

As far as overclocking it, that is all luck of the draw. My 3000+ will not give me more than 80Mhz extra, where as my friend's is at 2500Mhz.

Please note that he has a good cooler on his cpu and mine is not mutch more than a stock cooler.

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Don't know much about the mobo, just check the reviews. That card does have SM3, like all current gen cards (as far as I know).