I need some help and some suggestions

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok here my deal

I Have a 3.4 Prescott 650

Im wanting to convert to AMD, but im on a budget

So I was wondering if a Athlon FX-55 would be better than my current cpu.
I know I know i should prolly just buy a AM2 setup or a core duo 2. But Intel makes me mad, and when my FX-55 goes out of date I'll just get a FX-60 Dual core super cheap :) So lets hear all there is to hear..

Thanks Alot Guys

P4 PRESCOTT 3.4
DUAL CHANNEL KINGSTON 2GB DDR 400
BFG 7900GS
WD 120 SATA 3.0
ECS 915PL-A2 DUAL PCI-E
E-POWER 550 DUAL RAILS
ZALAMAN COOLING
SB AUDIGY 7.1

WizardOZ

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Since you are going to have to repalace your MB to go with the AMD CPU anyway, you should seriously look at one of the lower end Core2Duo CPUs from Intel. They seriously outperfom anything from AMD at present. You would be able to recycle all of your components except for possibly the RAM. Only issue is does your budget allow for replacing your RAM. Also, as funds permit you could upgrade the CPU without having to worry about the other components.

If your budget does allow for the purchase of a complete new system, you may wish to consider getting a Keyboard/Video/Mouse swithch, and running the two systems in parallel, one running Windows, the other Linux. If you do decide to go with this option, I recommend setting Linux up on the older system. It is a more efficient OS and you will be able to leverage more performance out of your old system. And learn a bunch of useful stuff.

If your budget doesn't allow for a complete new system, I would still recommend the C2D CPU and MB, keeping the old parts and buying components to rebuild a complete system as funds permit, then stting up as described above.

Hope this helps.

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I would like to get a 6300 but I would

Have to get a new board and it seems that i cant find any board that support ddr and have a pci-e slot that runs at full 16x. "I hate when board say there 16x but only 4x"

So that would mean I would have to get ddr2 ram which I can't afford.

My budget right now is around 250-275

If you guys can find me a board that will suit me more power to you!!!!
Can someone who knows these things please tell me if this board is 100% pci express 16x and not one of those 4x because i dont know also I dont know if i even know what im talking about :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813135023

Also another note would a E6300 be better for gaming than my 650 Prescott 3.4. And how much

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Well intel mad me mad because I ordered a 805 Pentium D from newegg and it just up and quit on me within 60 days so I already knew newegg would not rma it so I called Intel and they said they kn longer provided warranty for those cpu because basically they were worthless to them now which mad me real mad because it wasnt worthless to me it was for all my important record keeping and ran my ventrilo server. So thats why I hate intel but I guess ill have to bear with them because of there supremacy of amd at the moment.