monitoring birds in a nestbox

Johnboy

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001

Dear group
Each spring I have great tits (chickadees) nesting in a box in my
garden.

Next year I'd like to adapt the box so that I can film the parents
raising their chicks. I wondered whether a webcam might be the best
way to do this. Can anyone advise about this?

I'd like:
- a camera small enough to design into the nest box;
- a 'see in the dark' camera;
- the computer is around 30 feet from the nest box. Will the signal
travel that far without corrupting?

Many thanks for any help offered.
Best,
Johnboy

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:13:13 GMT, JohnBoy <johnBoy@some.net>
wrote:

>Dear group
>Each spring I have great tits (chickadees) nesting in a box in my
>garden.
>
>Next year I'd like to adapt the box so that I can film the parents
>raising their chicks. I wondered whether a webcam might be the best
>way to do this. Can anyone advise about this?
>
>I'd like:
>- a camera small enough to design into the nest box;
>- a 'see in the dark' camera;
>- the computer is around 30 feet from the nest box. Will the signal
>travel that far without corrupting?
>
>Many thanks for any help offered.
>Best,
>Johnboy

Below is a cheap cam that might work. If you want closeups, then
you will need a cam that has a focusing lens. Otherwise, you will
need to extend the top of the box sufficiently that the birds
will be infocus. Other cam sources are below. If you use analog
cams, you will need a video capture card/device for your
computer. I've got a webcam for my bird at the bottom link.
Select the P/T-Cam and click the mouse preset.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

http://www.supercircuits.com/
http://www.matco.com/
http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html