Balloon message on boot-up

For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
"Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
all the data for file C:\$Mft.
Try to save the file elsewhere".
I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
Bill

Hi William,

That is the master file table for the drive, you should run a chkdsk /r on
the drive. You might also run a drive integrity check using a utility from
the manufacturer to check the state of the drive.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> That is the master file table for the drive, you should run a chkdsk /r on
> the drive. You might also run a drive integrity check using a utility from
> the manufacturer to check the state of the drive.

Thank you, Rick. I've done both and they come up clean.
Bill

Could you please give me more info on the OS/SP you are using?
Thanks

Rany ElHousieny [MSFT] wrote:
> Could you please give me more info on the OS/SP you are using?
> Thanks
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
>>"Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
>>all the data for file C:\$Mft.
>>Try to save the file elsewhere".
>>I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
>>it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
>>Bill

Using Windows XP---upgraded to SP2 several months ago.
Rick said to run chkdsk/r and Western Digital
diagnostics. Both failed to report any problems.
The balloon message has appeared twice in the past
week, but that's twice out of at least 20 cold starts.

--
William B. Lurie

You already know you are having problems with your hard drive. You state so
in numerous earlier posts.
Solve your hardware problem!

When I have a customer with sporadic problems such as you complain about I
install a new hard drive, reload the O/S as a CLEAN install. They start over
and I don't hear from them till they screw something up - yet again!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)