Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Balloon message on boot-up

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:26:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
"Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
all the data for file C:\$Mft.
Try to save the file elsewhere".
I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
Bill

More about : balloon message boot

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:31:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi William,

That is the master file table for the drive, you should run a chkdsk /r on
the drive. You might also run a drive integrity check using a utility from
the manufacturer to check the state of the drive.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o KQhDK%238EHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
> "Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
> all the data for file C:\$Mft.
> Try to save the file elsewhere".
> I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
> it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
> Bill
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:34:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> That is the master file table for the drive, you should run a chkdsk /r on
> the drive. You might also run a drive integrity check using a utility from
> the manufacturer to check the state of the drive.
>
Thank you, Rick. I've done both and they come up clean.
Bill
Related resources
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:02:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Could you please give me more info on the OS/SP you are using?
Thanks
"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o KQhDK%238EHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
> "Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
> all the data for file C:\$Mft.
> Try to save the file elsewhere".
> I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
> it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
> Bill
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:25:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Rany ElHousieny [MSFT] wrote:
> Could you please give me more info on the OS/SP you are using?
> Thanks
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> news:o KQhDK%238EHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
>>For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
>>"Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
>>all the data for file C:\$Mft.
>>Try to save the file elsewhere".
>>I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
>>it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
>>Bill
>
>
>
Using Windows XP---upgraded to SP2 several months ago.
Rick said to run chkdsk/r and Western Digital
diagnostics. Both failed to report any problems.
The balloon message has appeared twice in the past
week, but that's twice out of at least 20 cold starts.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:50:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You already know you are having problems with your hard drive. You state so
in numerous earlier posts.
Solve your hardware problem!

When I have a customer with sporadic problems such as you complain about I
install a new hard drive, reload the O/S as a CLEAN install. They start over
and I don't hear from them till they screw something up - yet again!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o KQhDK%238EHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> For second time, on cold boot I get a balloon message,
> "Delayed write failed. Windows was unable to save
> all the data for file C:\$Mft.
> Try to save the file elsewhere".
> I can't find the file, and I don't recognize
> it as one of mine. Useful suggestions welcome....
> Bill
!