Updating windows

keeper999

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hi,

I have upgraded form windows 7 home prem to windows 8 pro and got the following problems:

1: Updates in store does not download at all but it states its downloading.

2: Security patches kb2769165 and kb 2770917 does not install through windows update or manual patch ( just stated patch not installed )

I tried hiding Microsoft services and disabling stated items still not luck.

Using MTN USB modem, no problems with online gaming or other downloads.

Hope someone had the same problems and can help.

Here is what I experienced:

On the fourth computer that I upgraded to Windows 8, I chose the “Keep Settings” option during the installation instead of the “Clean Install” that I did on the other three computers.

The “Keep Settings” installation went fine and the programs like Microsoft Office were saved fine. After this I tried to search for Updates. This is where I ran into problems.

There were a total of 11 important updates and I went through the normal download and install steps. Then I restarted the computer as directed to do so. Windows restarted and went through the “Configuring Updates” step. After this, I got the message “Failure to update; reverting changes”

My next step was to install these updates individually. Some worked, some failed. It was late and I decided to pick it up the next morning.

The next morning, today, the updates are installing fine. Absolutely nothing was done to the computer between last evening and this morning!

HTH!

keeper999

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply. So you say its a windows/ Microsoft problem and not software that was installed before I installed win 8. I was thinking to reformat and do an clean install.

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
You will have to leave the Windows to download some updates automatically.

Normally its a good practice to give Windows 8 a couple of days, lets say a week to sort out some updates automatically. Just make sure Windows Updates are set to AUTOMATIC

There are some updates you can't forced, and certain Updates also require other Updates first or Windows Restart.