Security Center Reporting Wrong Anti-Virus Status

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center in SP2
says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known. I have norton
Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which includes norton anti -virus.
I have all the latest updates for it and windows itself. Norton is
reporting that its automatic updates are on and that the virus definitions
are up to date. What could be the problem here? If any one knows what's
wrong please leave a post on this group. Thanks.

Jake

"Jake" <jake@home.com> wrote in message
> My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
> reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center
> in SP2 says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known. I
> have norton Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which includes
> norton anti -virus. I have all the latest updates for it and windows
> itself. Norton is reporting that its automatic updates are on and
> that the virus definitions are up to date. What could be the problem
> here? If any one knows what's wrong please leave a post on this
> group. Thanks.
> Jake

Your anti-virus is too old to give the information Windows Security Center
needs to recognize it. Don't worry about it as long as you update your
anti-virus every day.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I have systemworks 2003 and when I updated it fixed the problem. It sounds
like you have a software problem. Is all the updates loading? Do you go to
the one button page and click on live update. That is where it updates the
program and not just the virus definitions.
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Jake" <jake@home.com> wrote in message
>> My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
>> reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center
>> in SP2 says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known. I
>> have norton Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which includes
>> norton anti -virus. I have all the latest updates for it and windows
>> itself. Norton is reporting that its automatic updates are on and
>> that the virus definitions are up to date. What could be the problem
>> here? If any one knows what's wrong please leave a post on this
>> group. Thanks.
>> Jake
>
> Your anti-virus is too old to give the information Windows Security Center
> needs to recognize it. Don't worry about it as long as you update your
> anti-virus every day.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

I don't have a problem I never install anything from Symantec or McAfee.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
> I have systemworks 2003 and when I updated it fixed the problem. It
> sounds like you have a software problem. Is all the updates loading?
> Do you go to the one button page and click on live update. That is
> where it updates the program and not just the virus definitions.
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Jake" <jake@home.com> wrote in message
>>> My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
>>> reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center
>>> in SP2 says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known.
>>> I have norton Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which
>>> includes norton anti -virus. I have all the latest updates for it
>>> and windows itself. Norton is reporting that its automatic updates
>>> are on and that the virus definitions are up to date. What could
>>> be the problem here? If any one knows what's wrong please leave
>>> a post on this group. Thanks.
>>> Jake
>>
>> Your anti-virus is too old to give the information Windows Security
>> Center needs to recognize it. Don't worry about it as long as you
>> update your anti-virus every day.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

I have systemworks 2003 and when I updated, it fixed the problem. It sounds
like you have a software problem. Is all the updates loading? Do you go to
the one button page and click on live update. That is where it updates the
program and not just the virus definitions. Sorry I posted last one in wrong
spot apparently, thanks Frank.

"Jake" <jake@home.com> wrote in message
> My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
> reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center in SP2
> says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known. I have norton
> Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which includes norton
> anti -virus. I have all the latest updates for it and windows itself.
> Norton is reporting that its automatic updates are on and that the virus
> definitions are up to date. What could be the problem here? If any one
> knows what's wrong please leave a post on this group. Thanks.
>
> Jake

Hi Jake,

See Symantec FAQ: Why does the Windows Security Center say that the status of my Norton security product is "unknown." ? at http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

FAQ about Windows Security Center:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792

Antivirus Partners Currently Supporting Windows Security Center:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/fulllist.mspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Jake" <jake@home.com> wrote in message news:Ou0AEi%238EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
My problem is that recently after reformatting my hard drive and
reinstalling windows xp pro I have noticed that the security center in SP2
says that the status of my anti-virus program is not known. I have norton
Systemworks 2003 Professional installed, which includes norton anti -virus.
I have all the latest updates for it and windows itself. Norton is
reporting that its automatic updates are on and that the virus definitions
are up to date. What could be the problem here? If any one knows what's
wrong please leave a post on this group. Thanks.

Jake

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I looked on the symantec site and it says that norton anti-virus has a
anti-tamper device that stops programs from reading its status. It says
that the patch for this will be available on live update. But I have
already updated it and when I run live update it says there are no updates.

[...]

No idea, Jake. Perhaps a complete uninstall / reinstall NAV / applying the WMI update would help. Other than that, you may try contacting Symantec support.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User