P5B Deluxe Install Questions

RU_469

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Hi and thanks for your help.

I have a couple of install questions/confirmations.

1) With the Q connector the "speaker" should be connected with the text outward so its covered by the Power switch and Reset switch

2) Why do they have the 4 pin power connector? Not sure of its purpose & its not connected.

3) Anyone every have any issues installing one of there where it powers up (including the fans) but doesnt do anything? No beeps, no video out, no BIOS. I have a more detailed explination in the HOMEBUILT section.

Thanks again.

Hi and thanks for your help.

I have a couple of install questions/confirmations.

1) With the Q connector the "speaker" should be connected with the text outward so its covered by the Power switch and Reset switch
It depends on what case you are using. Generally, the black wire goes to the "-" and the colored wire goes to the "+" on the motherboard. On the P5B-D, "-" is on the edge and "+" is 4 pins towards the middle. Also, the power switch should only be halfway covered, double-check your front panel connections.

2) Why do they have the 4 pin power connector? Not sure of its purpose & its not connected.
Which 4-pin are you referring to? The 4-pin that plugs in next to the 20-pin main power or the 4-pin that is separate and powers the CPU? Either way, they should both be connected. Also, the P5B-D has the option for 8-pin CPU power. Do you have an extra 4-in that is meant to go in the second set of 4-pin connectors for the CPU?

3) Anyone every have any issues installing one of there where it powers up (including the fans) but doesnt do anything? No beeps, no video out, no BIOS. I have a more detailed explination in the HOMEBUILT section.
I see this problem everywhere on here. It's generally one of the following:
RAM
Power Supply
Mobo grounding on the case
Bad connection or something isn't plugged in that should be.

Without RAM installed, do you get any beep codes from the case speaker?

RU_469

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Thanks for the 411 and the reply.

I've narrowed it down to a bad MoBo & a bad CPU. I'm so bummed I have no system.

I had another sockett 775 board laying around so I tested the CPU in it and it doesnt work. So I took my P4 out of my Dell and tried it in the board and it worked. Then I took the working chip and tried it in the ASUS board, no luck. Gah.

Oh well.

:twisted:

Sunder

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Did you plug in the 4-pin before you determined that the board is bad?

Are you sure the CPU is compatible with the other board you have? It has the same socket but that doesn't mean it supports the latest CPU...

RU_469

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Yea, the 4 pin was connected. The new ASUS doesn't fire what so ever with both power connections with both chips. Disconnect the 4 pin and at least the fans go on.

Both boards support the E6600 and the P4 that I have. The crappy board worked with the E6600 and I'm 100% positive the P5B Deluxe works with it as well :)