DS3 HSF not working (no post either)

Link649

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hey guys, im having a bit of trobule with a computer im building. Here is my setup.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (revision 1.0)
C2D E6400
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 PC2 6400 (2x1GB Dual Channel)
Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS
FSP AX500-A 2.0 version 500W PCI-e
e-VGA 7900GS KO PCI-e

I had originally used a Zalman 9500, but switch to the Intel stock fan for reasons exlained below.

After i installed everything with the Zalman HSF, I turned on the power and it would not POST at all. There were continuous short beeps lasting for a while and the HSF on the Zalman would not spin. The LED light on the HSF would flicker when the beeping restarted and the fan would jump a little showing it was trying to move but it wouldnt actually start up. The PSU fan and the case fan (hooked up to a molex connector) worked fine. In the manual it says the continuous short beeps are a power error but i couldnt find any solutions to this anywhere.

I figured I had just installed the Zalman wrong, so i took it off, cleaned the thermal grease, double checked my CPU to make sure it was instered right and no bent pins, put on the intel stock fan and tried again. This time instead of continuous short beeps, i got just 1 really long beep being repeated everyone once in a while but still no post. Manual says this is a DRAM error, but along with that the HSF still wouldnt start. Same thing with the Zalman, it would stutter once the beeping started, but never actually start up.

Ive check to make sure that my 20+4 pin ATX power is plugged into the motherboard, the 4-pin CPU power is plugged in, the PCI-e is plugged into my video card (monitor is DVI), the speakers and front LEDs are plugged in and work fine. Is there anything I am overlooking. Is it a problem with my memory, and if it is, would that cause my HSF not to work properly. Cant figure out why i would get the BIOS beeping error along with HSF not working. Any help is greatly appriciated.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Hey guys, im having a bit of trobule with a computer im building. Here is my setup.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (revision 1.0)
C2D E6400
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 PC2 6400 (2x1GB Dual Channel)
Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS
FSP AX500-A 2.0 version 500W PCI-e
e-VGA 7900GS KO PCI-e

I had originally used a Zalman 9500, but switch to the Intel stock fan for reasons exlained below.

After i installed everything with the Zalman HSF, I turned on the power and it would not POST at all. There were continuous short beeps lasting for a while and the HSF on the Zalman would not spin. The LED light on the HSF would flicker when the beeping restarted and the fan would jump a little showing it was trying to move but it wouldnt actually start up. The PSU fan and the case fan (hooked up to a molex connector) worked fine. In the manual it says the continuous short beeps are a power error but i couldnt find any solutions to this anywhere.

I figured I had just installed the Zalman wrong, so i took it off, cleaned the thermal grease, double checked my CPU to make sure it was instered right and no bent pins, put on the intel stock fan and tried again. This time instead of continuous short beeps, i got just 1 really long beep being repeated everyone once in a while but still no post. Manual says this is a DRAM error, but along with that the HSF still wouldnt start. Same thing with the Zalman, it would stutter once the beeping started, but never actually start up.

Ive check to make sure that my 20+4 pin ATX power is plugged into the motherboard, the 4-pin CPU power is plugged in, the PCI-e is plugged into my video card (monitor is DVI), the speakers and front LEDs are plugged in and work fine. Is there anything I am overlooking. Is it a problem with my memory, and if it is, would that cause my HSF not to work properly. Cant figure out why i would get the BIOS beeping error along with HSF not working. Any help is greatly appriciated.

The HSF is working. It won;t spin until the processor heats up. And the processor won;t heat up until you POST successfully. And the reason it won't post is because of your DRAM. Try booting with just one stick, then get into the BIOS and add voltage to the memory bus/

feuerfrei

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I have system almost identical to link's, same mobo, same grx same processor, 650watt power supply, except i initially had kingston 512 sticks which worked fine, i then upgraded to the corsair 1 gig 800mhz C4 and now i have the same problem.
using only one stick it still occurs and even swicthing back to the kingston it still has the same problem. I'm thinking it might be a bios issue.

Any feedback would be appreciated.