Need Help Getting Right Ram For Specific Motherboard

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I plan on purchasing an Asus Crosshair motherboard and am looking at what RAM to purchase with it.

I want two gigs worth.

One person told me that the Crosshair is for 1.8v ram but I can't find that anywhere.

That being said, how can I tell if the ram will be compatible with this motherboard at the best timings available.

For example one said 4-4-4-12 but then found out that is at 2.1v and 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v.

I just want to get a good value for what I purchase. Please help.

Thanks.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and either scan your hardware or better yet look up your motherboard in their memory finder. This will give you all the info you need about the supported memory for your board. You can then use this info to make the right choice.
:idea:

PS Crucial offers a line called BALLISTIX that is their premium line of memory.

G

Almost all the ram with tighter than 5 timing at DDRII 800 is over the 1.8v JEdec spec.

Usually it will fall back at 1.8V with looser timing and you have to manually adjust them.

I heard Ballistix is a pretty good match with the AM2.

I mainly suggest looking at review on the web where they test DDRII on AM2 platform. The memory is much more platform Dependant then motherboard Dependant.

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I already went to the manual and it didn't help me out much in terms of Ram. I can't scan because I don't have it yet. But the information that ram is more platform dependent that anything else really helps. So if I look at reviews and see what they used, I know it will work.

Thanks for all the suggestions and any ideas on a specific brand and type that you feel is a good value and preforms well would be much appriciated.

Also is their any danger with raising the voltage for the ram, and is it worth it to raise the volts to get better timings? I couldn't find any articles specifically on voltage and ram.

Thanks again.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Any decent OCing memory will take 2.1v easily. There is no danger raising to the voltages specified by the memory maker.

2 major factors in your memory decision will be budget and how fast you want to go.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006