nelinjo

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hello,I have a problem with my recently bought SATA WD 800Caviar.After some time of working on computer it just freezes and i have to reboot or shut down by button reset or power off.After that it gaves me BOOT DISK FAILURE and i cant enter in windows.After couple of times from time to time I ve checked in BIOS and motherboar or BIOS is constantly moving my SATA on Third place for boot.When I manually move it on first it boots like it neve happened.This is really annoying so if anyone had same problem I would appreciate if you leave some resolutions of this particular problem.
BIOS A8N-E: Version 1013
HD:WD SATA I 800Caviar 80Gb

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Screenshot your Device Manager with HDD section and IDE Masters section expanded.

If your board has both SATA and IDE controllers it may be mapping SATA 0/1 over IDE Primary Master and IDE Primary Slave.

This can cause some issues at times.

Bad news is GUID in registry for HDD might be screwballed, and you may need to re-install your OS after correcting your HDD / Controller(s) configuration.

There are several possible combinations to cover.

I'd also recommend posting a link to the .PDF for your mainboard manual, and its IDE/SATA/RAID controllers manuals, etc

8)

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
temp1.PNG

So it would appear you have multiple Primary controllers listed.

What BIOS options are set, specfically for HDDs, IDE Controllers, SATA Controllers, RAID, ACHI, etc ?

There might also be a 're-map SATA to IDE 0/1' or something similar in the BIOS.

Avoid changing the settings, just check over them and list the results.

If you need images / small files / etc hosted, and do not have any webspace feel free to e-mail them, (use WinZIP or WinRAR so it is all one file) to: darkpeace@internode.on.net and I'll host them using the 'better' method (demonstrated above for the image of Device Manager on your PC).

I may have time to go over it this weekend or next, but maybe someone else is less busy.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
OK you haven't installed the chipset and/or IDE drivers for your mainboard, this is a fairly common mistake.

It isn't something you did, it is something you didn't do. - 8)

Pretty easy to fix, assuming this is the cause of the HDD fault:

Since that board uses an nVidia nForce 4 Ultra chipset go here:
http://www.nvidia.com/
Select Drivers,
Follow the on screen instructions Select chipset (nForce 4 Ultra) and OS (Windows XP Pro or Home most likely)
Download and install the drivers.

Failing all that, just jump to this page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html ; as I am 99% sure you want that driver package for your nForce 4 Ultra based mainboard.

You'll likely notice a speed improvement all around, and it might just fix that issue you're having with the HDD(s) too.

8) - Tabris:DarkPeace

After doing it, e-mail a screenshot of your Device Manager over to me (darkpeace@internode.on.net) and I'll double check it's changed situation (may be able to see cause of other fault if it doesn't fix it).

pat

Expert
OK you haven't installed the chipset and/or IDE drivers for your mainboard, this is a fairly common mistake.

It isn't something you did, it is something you didn't do. - 8)

Pretty easy to fix, assuming this is the cause of the HDD fault:

Since that board uses an nVidia nForce 4 Ultra chipset go here:
http://www.nvidia.com/
Select Drivers,
Follow the on screen instructions Select chipset (nForce 4 Ultra) and OS (Windows XP Pro or Home most likely)
Download and install the drivers.

Failing all that, just jump to this page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html ; as I am 99% sure you want that driver package for your nForce 4 Ultra based mainboard.

You'll likely notice a speed improvement all around, and it might just fix that issue you're having with the HDD(s) too.

8) - Tabris:DarkPeace

After doing it, e-mail a screenshot of your Device Manager over to me (darkpeace@internode.on.net) and I'll double check it's changed situation (may be able to see cause of other fault if it doesn't fix it).

Drivers are irrevelent to POST problem because drivers are used by the OS, not the BIOS.

Sinse the problem often happen at POST time (boot device not found) then the problem is more probably a bad or loose SATA data cable or power cable. This will cause that kind of problem at post time, as the HDD don't start, so it don't appear in the BIOS drive list.

If it is there after a failed boot attempt, it won't be listed as a boot device, because BIOS reconfigured the boot order the last time while it was not present, and now put it somewhere, thinking it is just a new drive recently added.

Once booted, a bad cable will cause the OS to freeze if contact is lost with the HDD.

So, first thing to check is the cable. Then, it could be your PSU quietly failing too.. once you get it to show at post everytime, then the OS problem will be fixed too.

If you are sure that the cable are good, then it may be time to backup and replace...