Squeeling TV! I know this isnt the right forum...

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
So, my roommate and I have a 27" CRT TV that is only a couple years old.

When we turn it on, it works just great for about 20-40 minutes and then it begins to emit a high pitched squeel for about 5-10 minutes and then the squeel fades.

We are curious if anyone knows why this happens, and how we can fix it?

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
The parts inside the TV can kill you even when disconnected from the power. Do noy attempt to make repairs to the unit.
Best bet: take it to a TV Repair shop.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
From my experience, this sound comes from one of the capacitors, I'm not exactly sure why it occurs, but usually a good cleaning from all the dust can quiet it down a bit. Possibly look around inside and check if any of the caps or transformers are broken. If they are, then either get some place to repair it for you, or you can do it yourself if you know how to do it properly.

HTH, Good luck

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks guys! I figured it was the same thing as when a PSU goes bad (I know much more about PCs than TV's.) Thanks for the headsup Mobius! I will poke around inside after it has been unplugged for the weekend. Clean some of the dust and check for bloated, broken or leaking caps. It's a cheap TV so probably not worth it to bring to a repair shop, unless it is really inexpensive to fix.