Webcam VS Video Camera ???

I was in a video chat room & a person was using a "Maxell Max Cam Pro video
camera with webcam capability. This person's video resolution was excellent.
So was their color renditions. I was surprised to discover that their cam
uses a cmos sensor. Is it normal for a video camera with a cmos sensor to
have better resolution & color than a stand alone webcam with a ccd sensor?
Her video was vastly superior over those using a philips toucam pro & 3com
home connect webcams!

The main difference between CMOS and CCD is the light sensitivity. CCD
has much better color fidelity in lower light. CCD has about the same
sensitivity as the human eye. CMOS sensors on the other hand need much
more light - for example office lighting or outdoor lighting.

CMOS sensors are simpler and much less expensive than CCD sensors so
manufacturers can make higher resolution CMOS cameras at a much lower
cost.
If the lighting is good and if the software driver is good at
automatically adjusting gain and white balance then you can get good
video quality with CMOS.