Webcam VS Video Camera ???

I was in a video chat room & a person was using a "Maxell Max Cam Pro video
camera with webcam capability. This person's video resolution was excellent.
So was their color renditions. I was surprised to discover that their cam
uses a cmos sensor. Is it normal for a video camera with a cmos sensor to
have better resolution & color than a stand alone webcam with a ccd sensor?
Her video was vastly superior over those using a philips toucam pro & 3com
home connect webcams!
1 answer Last reply
More about webcam video camera

    The main difference between CMOS and CCD is the light sensitivity. CCD
    has much better color fidelity in lower light. CCD has about the same
    sensitivity as the human eye. CMOS sensors on the other hand need much
    more light - for example office lighting or outdoor lighting.

    CMOS sensors are simpler and much less expensive than CCD sensors so
    manufacturers can make higher resolution CMOS cameras at a much lower
    cost.
    If the lighting is good and if the software driver is good at
    automatically adjusting gain and white balance then you can get good
    video quality with CMOS.

    "Radio Man" <puns@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<Hr77d.15363$Cn.4455@trnddc04>...
    > I was in a video chat room & a person was using a "Maxell Max Cam Pro video
    > camera with webcam capability. This person's video resolution was excellent.
    > So was their color renditions. I was surprised to discover that their cam
    > uses a cmos sensor. Is it normal for a video camera with a cmos sensor to
    > have better resolution & color than a stand alone webcam with a ccd sensor?
    > Her video was vastly superior over those using a philips toucam pro & 3com
    > home connect webcams!

Webcams Cameras Video Peripherals