Sign in with
Your question

CNet Editor James Kim found dead.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2006 3:51:05 AM

Yes, I know this is the CPU forum, and yes, I know maybe you don't give a damn, but for once, as fellow technophiles, and computer enthusiasts, we can focus on something more important than Intel vs AMD. More important than whether 4x4 will do any good under Vista.

A good man died sometime this week. He died with honor, and a heroism that anyone would aspire to leave the earth with. He died, doing what I pray anyone of us would do in the same situation. Trying to, and succeeding in, saving the life of his wife, and two young children.

To the family of a fine man, I and the rest of my clan offer our deepest condolences.
Juan.
December 7, 2006 3:55:31 AM

May he rest in peace. But he left a legacy which more than most of us aspire for.
Is there a link where I can read the full story from?
Related resources
December 7, 2006 4:02:22 AM

A beloved c*net editor...and a tragic story.

A very sad story only because it all happened around the time of thanksgiving weekend while we all enjoyed a hearty meal around the table and spent the warm afternoons with our families.

They never made it to the destination and two days later they were reported missing. This brave man fought the intensly harsh cold in efforts to save his family, only to die trying.

Our hearts lie with his family and the heoric efforts of this brave man as he did everything within his god given power and will, in hopes of saving his family.

His efforts were not lost as his family is still alive, but may his memory live on as a hero and nothing less.

May he watch over his family during this time of despair. :cry: 

~3lfk1ng
December 7, 2006 4:13:21 AM

Yeah, it really sucks, i first read about the disappearance of the Kim family on engadget, at least his wife and kids are ok. my thoughts are with his family.

I though about posting something about this in the community section btw, i could figure out what to say though.
December 7, 2006 4:22:39 AM

You understand why I'm a bit more mellow tonight, right my friend?
December 7, 2006 4:35:57 AM

Rest in peace, James Kim. It chokes me up that this happen to him, at lest his family is safe.
December 7, 2006 4:40:08 AM

Quote:

Yes, I know this is the CPU forum, and yes, I know maybe you don't give a damn, but for once, as fellow technophiles, and computer enthusiasts, we can focus on something more important than Intel vs AMD. More important than whether 4x4 will do any good under Vista.

A good man died sometime this week. He died with honor, and a heroism that anyone would aspire to leave the earth with. He died, doing what I pray anyone of us would do in the same situation. Trying to, and succeeding in, saving the life of his wife, and two young children.

To the family of a fine man, I and the rest of my clan offer our deepest condolences.
Juan.
Yes, very sad. Condolences to the family. It goes to show, that tragedy's like this can happen to anyone...life is very precious. :( 
December 7, 2006 5:16:32 AM

condolences to the wife, kids, family, friends,
this is really ****** up :x
December 7, 2006 5:30:37 AM

I thought he looked familiar, and his name rang a bell. I just read the article you linked. I remember him being on "The Screen-Savers"(Tech-TV) IIRC, many times. He usually did photoshop type stuff on pictures of his family. Pity. :( 
December 7, 2006 5:34:31 AM

Edited by request. RIP, James Kim.
December 7, 2006 5:41:17 AM

Quote:
please edit that statement,in death lets give grace,in life lets give them hell.
The mistake was made,and it has hurt many;and the obvious is clear to all.
Yeah, what-if's serve no purpose in these kind of circumstances. :wink:
December 7, 2006 5:46:48 AM

EDIT

True. And I repeat, I want to in no way besmirch his memory.
December 7, 2006 5:48:42 AM

Quote:
You understand why I'm a bit more mellow tonight, right my friend?

There are 2 sides ninja,one that mourns and one that rejoices a good soul brought to the realm of eternal purpose.

the material side mourns,as it can no longer communicate,and the spiritual side rejoices as his essence is one with all.And like the air; we breath in his life through words and spirit.

he is now a part of the grandest collection of any age,our superconciousness.hes not gone,just not available for this planes communication.Yes, i sort of agree about this...not exactly the planes part..but. My sister passed away 2 yrs. ago this Jan...(brain tumours).She was the only person close to me to ever pass. I told my parents that... to this day, i've never shed a tear... but i mourn her death. While others are sad that they will never see her again...i'm happy for her, that her pain and suffering have ended. That's the only way that i can really look at it. :?
December 7, 2006 6:44:24 AM

Condolences to his family, love ones and friends. May his soul rest in peace.
December 7, 2006 12:38:44 PM

Inna~Lahay Wa Inna~Alihay Rajioon.
December 7, 2006 12:44:28 PM

I was thinking of posting this, meh...

He was a true hero, he deserves credit and recognition for the actions he took, and I hope everyone honors him.

Just for future reference though, coming from an eagle scout and someone who's spent a ton of times in the outdoor, if anything like this happens to you, NEVER, EVER go out on your own, even if it is to find help. It's always better to stay in once place, and be prepared to signal rescurers. Everyone knows the adage it's always harder to find a moving person... and to stay put.

James Kim, I salute you.

“Nothing is given to man on earth - struggle is built into the nature of life, and conflict is possible - the hero is the man who lets no obstacle prevent him from pursuing the values he has chosen.”
-Andrew Bernstein
December 7, 2006 12:48:22 PM

I couldn't imagine losing someone close to me, I never have and I know some day I will. My prayers and warm thought go out to his family and once who loved him.
December 7, 2006 1:22:38 PM

I didnt know Kim- but the more I have read, the more I realise we would have got on. As a father of 4 year-old twin girls, he did something incredibly brave, and put his families walfare before his own. This is something he will always be respected for, and never forgotten.

A loss to the community as well his family; my thoughts are with them.
December 7, 2006 1:26:43 PM

:cry: 
December 7, 2006 1:39:49 PM

To the family,
A dhama-llahu ajraka, wa sabbarak.
Our hearts go out to you.
December 7, 2006 1:50:09 PM

I've followed this story as well. I'm very sad to see it end in tragedy for his family's sake. I feel like many others have said though in that at least his family made it and I'm sure thats all that was on James' mind as he took the actions he did.

He will be missed by many and my heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with his family/friends.
December 7, 2006 2:46:31 PM

I will also keep his family in my prayers. This is a very sad ending to quite an ordeal. However, as unpopular as this will be, we should be careful in calling him a "true hero". I live in oregon near where this happened and when he stopped for information the locals told James to take the main highway and not the scenic back roads becuase they are dangerous in the winter. If he would have heeded these warning he would not have put his wife and very young children in grave danger as he did. I think he was noble to set out alone in the back country to find help, something that almost any parent would do. However he ignored advice from the local residents and decided to drive on back roads, of which is was not familiar, over the mountains at the end of a very stormy period in oregon. These were incredibly poor decisions that ended in the loss of his life and almost the lives of his family.
December 7, 2006 3:10:00 PM

May he rest in peace, condoleances to his family, its very hard for them right now.
December 7, 2006 3:32:31 PM

Very sad news :( 
will miss seeing him on cnet giving me the info on all the new mp3 players
December 7, 2006 3:35:53 PM

i found a nice video retrospective of some of James Kim's work at CNet.
In Memoriam
December 7, 2006 4:07:41 PM

So did I get that right?

His car with his family inside got stuck in the middle of nowhere and he went off to call someone for help?

If so, well, THAT is what a real hero is, nothing else.
December 7, 2006 6:07:30 PM

Everyone of us commits mistakes, daily.
Most of the time we just get away with it, but one day it happens that it is *your* day...
What matters is that he fought with his life to recover from his mistake and saved his family.
And that makes him a hero.
May he rest in peace.
December 7, 2006 6:46:40 PM

Quote:
I will also keep his family in my prayers. This is a very sad ending to quite an ordeal. However, as unpopular as this will be, we should be careful in calling him a "true hero". I live in oregon near where this happened and when he stopped for information the locals told James to take the main highway and not the scenic back roads becuase they are dangerous in the winter. If he would have heeded these warning he would not have put his wife and very young children in grave danger as he did. I think he was noble to set out alone in the back country to find help, something that almost any parent would do. However he ignored advice from the local residents and decided to drive on back roads, of which is was not familiar, over the mountains at the end of a very stormy period in oregon. These were incredibly poor decisions that ended in the loss of his life and almost the lives of his family.

edit this ,save the cynicism for the living.
pointing out the obvious is nearly disrespectful.I am sure its hard enough for his wife to accept his death and mistake without plastering it in front of the world. :evil: 
if you want to call him a moron make another thread.
edit that garbage please.

he made a mistake and gave his life to try and correct it and save others lives=hero.

I completely disagree. It is absolutely essential that others are told what he did wrong, so that they know not to do it themselves. I am now living in the US, but am from Australia. Before this message, I would have been like James Kim, ignoring locals advice in cold country not thinking that it could really be that dangerous - especially as I don't have experience being in these conditions. Knowing what happened, I will now definitely heed advice to stay away from the back roads in such situations.
December 7, 2006 6:50:27 PM

I think he's trying to keep a lesson in mind here, so that we'll learn from this story and this tragedy won't be repeated. Yes, we should honor the dead, but we need to learn from this too. Always be prepared for anything to happen, have an emergency survival kit, and stay still when you're lost.

Either way, the sheer fact he ran off in the cold alone makes him a hero, regardless of the events that led up to this.

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.”
-Joseph Campbell
December 7, 2006 7:01:35 PM

Quote:

Making a mistake doesn't make someone any less of a hero. It just makes him more human. Standing up to that mistake and trying to make amends with the mistakes that you do makes you a hero.
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2006 7:22:13 PM

A tragic series of events and my heartfelt condolences go out to the family.
December 7, 2006 10:53:37 PM

i used to read this guy's reviews. it helped in many times when i had to decide what to buy. rest in peace james kim. :cry: 
December 7, 2006 11:37:03 PM

Me too, he convinced me to buy the iAudio X5 (good choice, too). Cnet and the whole tech community has lost one of its best.
December 7, 2006 11:44:25 PM

I live in Oregon, and I've been down that same road a couple times to go rafting. That area goes from sea-level to 2000 feet in about a half mile. I'm in pretty good shape, but I couldn't climb around on those slopes and rock faces in the summer, much less with 2 feet of snow all over.

He must have been really driven. That's for sure.
December 8, 2006 12:04:12 AM

have been watching the news about him for 3 days now.
and just found from your post, that he was an editor for cnet.

:oops:  was hoping they would find him alive.
he is in no pain but his family suffers most :cry: 
December 8, 2006 12:43:27 AM

Quote:

He back tracked the road he was on for about 10 miles I believe, then went off the road (down hill) for about 10 miles and ended up about 2 miles down hill from where his car was. This was after about a week with no food and not dressed for the cold.

I grew up hunting and packing in Montana and live in Portland now. I have done things that could have turned bad quickly but didn't. Anyone who can sit here and judge him in retrospect while knowing as little about what happened as we do is the real moron. Learn what you can from this and don't be a know it all.

A man died an aweful death trying to save his family. His last thoughts were probably that he failed them and they would die the same horrible death.

RIP
!