Help, 1st Build and stuck

phar31

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hey there. this is my first time building a computer ( in fact first time installing any part on a PC) and i am doin good so far got everything hooked up accept im stuck on how to hook my Fans up that came with my case.

I got a Centurion 5 Case and a Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard. i got all the other jumper and f panel pins in the right place. and there is a spot on my MB for "SYS FAN" with a 4 pin connecter but the fans inside the case are not. i assume i connect the 2 fans together then i would connect 1 plug in that spot but nothing is matching up.

anybody with similar build or anybody experienced know what i am talking about?

thanks in advance.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Hey there. this is my first time building a computer ( in fact first time installing any part on a PC) and i am doin good so far got everything hooked up accept im stuck on how to hook my Fans up that came with my case.
I got a Centurion 5 Case and a Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard. i got all the other jumper and f panel pins in the right place. and there is a spot on my MB for "SYS FAN" with a 4 pin connecter but the fans inside the case are not. i assume i connect the 2 fans together then i would connect 1 plug in that spot but nothing is matching up.
anybody with similar build or anybody experienced know what i am talking about?
No, you don't hook 2 fans togethers onto a single fan circuit....
Building a pc is not all plug n play, now comes the time where you must use your ingenuity and craftsmanship to overcome the obstacles and adapt to yor surroundings, depending on the board you might have 4 fan channels on the motherboard where you can hook up fans using a modular connector, directron and others sell adapters for people that can't build a connector or you can do it right and rewire all the fan leads with the proper connector (3-pin modular)
Please read thru some of the links i posted for BYOPC located here:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Build-pc-links-click-ftopict212126.html

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Aren't the 4 pin connector fans 5-12 volts ... I think those can only be plugged into the powersupply 4 plug female connectors.

Smart fans for the mobo are only 3 pin and look totally different, and provide things such as fan rpm, (aux, and system fan connections) that I know of (well atleast that's how my mobos have been setup)...

You can only plug a 4 pin fan into a 4 pin powersupply connector with one of the free powersupply 5-12V connectors ...

I'm a bit rusty with it though lets see what others say... :roll: