Jun 9, 2004
I recently got a new pc:

CPU: AM2 3800+ - with stock fan
VGA: 256mb 7600GT
HDD: 250G SATA2
PSU: Antec 500W NeoHe
MB: Ga-m55sli-s4
Case: ThermalTake Soprano

Now i've got a better pc, i want to make it silent. The back and front 120mm case fans are fine, the PSU and VGA fans don't make an noise at all, but the stock AM2 CPU fan is...noisy. I am looking for a silent or very very quiet fan to replace the stock one, i'm assuming it's possible to take the other fan off and install another.

The place i'm getting it from doesn't have many options - so i've narrowed it down to Zalman or Thermaltake. I've seen pictures of these fans, and i'm not sure if i can even put them in my case, because on my motherboard the ram slots are directly next to the CPU. Will it fit???

Also, approx. how much will they charge for installation?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
yeah, zalman and thermaltake make a bunch of different hsf's, which one's do you mean? just install the thing yourself, its not that hard, it would be a waste of money to pay someone to do it for you.

HaZ

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
i meant any, but specifically Zalman CNPS: 7000-cu/7700-cu/9500LED

or Thermaltake: Golden Orb 2/ BLue orb 2/beetle/ Big thyphoon/Mini-tyhpoon/typhoon vx.

i know it's not too hard to D.I.Y, but the biggest thing i've done is put ram in, so i wouldn't trust myself enough to replace a CPU fan.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
maybe you've got a friend who can do it for you, and you can look how he does it?
at least that's how i started with computer building.
like; hey, i can do that myself, let's try it.
watch out with the orbs, they can occupy the first 2 ram slots on some mobo's they go very wide
maybe this one is good for you:

Thermaltake Big Typhoon

(not too big and good cooling capacity)

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
thermaltake BT, had one for about 4 months... i love the thing, absolutely silent (in comparison to the rest of my PC)

Ara

HaZ

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
k I've got it down to: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX or Zalman 9500LED.

Can you turn the LED lights off? So the fan still runs but doesn't flash colours everywhere? I'm guessing not though. Because if i download something overnight i don't want light coming out the window of my case.

The other CPU fans aren't as good, or they're designed very wide, and the RAM slots on my MoBo are directly next to the CPU.

Thanks for all the replies, all of them have been helpful.

edit: AWESOME rig Chuckshissle!