Administrator Account Error when trying to install a program

January 6, 2005 3:37:13 PM

I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have had
no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
following error message:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration
modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
account."

I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the only
user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other user
accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game card
which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:52:32 PM

All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD. Does your PC have a sticker
on it with a barcode that says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and a
product key? Any PC that comes with XP preinstalled must have one of these
stickers somewhere on the case.

"The Truth" <truth@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
> I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have had
> no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
> following error message:
>
> "You do not have access to make the required system configuration
> modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
> account."
>
> I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the only
> user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other user
> accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game
card
> which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 6:52:33 PM

In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:

> All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
> some type
> of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.

No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
can do this in one of three ways:

1. An OEM copy of Windows

2. A restore CD

3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
contact your vendor to find out.

Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
operating system.

Please reply to the newsgroup
January 6, 2005 7:36:30 PM

This is not a new PC. I built it about 4 years ago. The XP operating
system was a new/fresh installation by me. I have the CD and the product
key.

Is there something I can do?

Thanks

"Dan DeStefano" <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> wrote in message
> All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
> media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD. Does your PC have a
sticker
> on it with a barcode that says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and a
> product key? Any PC that comes with XP preinstalled must have one of these
> stickers somewhere on the case.
>
> "The Truth" <truth@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
> > I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have
had
> > no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
> > following error message:
> >
> > "You do not have access to make the required system configuration
> > modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
> > account."
> >
> > I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the
only
> > user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other
user
> > accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game
> card
> > which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.
> >
> > Any help appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:49:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Dan, but you did not address the question in my
original post. This is a fresh/new installation of Windows XP on a home
built computer. There are no OEM venders. I have the XP cd and product
key. There are no hidden partitions.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem I submitted in my original
post, not the one implied by Dan when he replied to my question? I think
you are replying to Dan's post and not to my question.

Thanks

news:o oOzy%23D9EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:
>
> > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
> > some type
> > of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.
>

> No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
> give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
> can do this in one of three ways:
>

> 1. An OEM copy of Windows
>
> 2. A restore CD
>
> 3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.
>
> If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
> contact your vendor to find out.
>
> Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
> choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
> unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
> operating system.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:19:00 PM

Dan, what I don't understand is why, after 6 months, and I now getting this
error message.

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration
modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
account."

How can I rerun this installation from an administrators account when I am
already running it from the only account on the computer, and one that I sat
up?

thanks

> Thanks for the reply Dan, but you did not address the question in my
> original post. This is a fresh/new installation of Windows XP on a home
> built computer. There are no OEM venders. I have the XP cd and product
> key. There are no hidden partitions.
>
> Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem I submitted in my original
> post, not the one implied by Dan when he replied to my question? I think
> you are replying to Dan's post and not to my question.
>
> Thanks

> news:o oOzy%23D9EHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> > Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:
> >
> > > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
> > > some type
> > > of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.
> >

> > No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
> > give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
> > can do this in one of three ways:
> >

> > 1. An OEM copy of Windows
> >
> > 2. A restore CD
> >
> > 3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.
> >
> > If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
> > contact your vendor to find out.
> >
> > Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
> > choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
> > unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
> > operating system.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:01:28 AM

Salut/Hi Dan DeStefano,

le/on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:52:32 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
>media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.

Not my new Toshiba Tecra laptop.

However, it does come with have the ability to make what it calls "recovery
disks" and has a product code stuck underneath. I made them, all 5 recovery
CDs and an "applications CD". God help me if I ever need to reinstall!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare