Administrator Account Error when trying to install a program

I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have had
no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
following error message:

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration
modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
account."

I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the only
user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other user
accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game card
which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about administrator account error install program

    All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
    media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD. Does your PC have a sticker
    on it with a barcode that says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and a
    product key? Any PC that comes with XP preinstalled must have one of these
    stickers somewhere on the case.

    "The Truth" <truth@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    > I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have had
    > no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
    > following error message:
    >
    > "You do not have access to make the required system configuration
    > modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
    > account."
    >
    > I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the only
    > user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other user
    > accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game
    card
    > which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks

    In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:

    > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
    > some type
    > of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.

    No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
    give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
    can do this in one of three ways:

    1. An OEM copy of Windows

    2. A restore CD

    3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.

    If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
    contact your vendor to find out.

    Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
    choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
    unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
    operating system.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    This is not a new PC. I built it about 4 years ago. The XP operating
    system was a new/fresh installation by me. I have the CD and the product
    key.

    Is there something I can do?

    Thanks

    "Dan DeStefano" <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> wrote in message
    > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
    > media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD. Does your PC have a
    sticker
    > on it with a barcode that says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and a
    > product key? Any PC that comes with XP preinstalled must have one of these
    > stickers somewhere on the case.
    >
    > "The Truth" <truth@Elkestr.com> wrote in message
    > > I have had the Home Edition of XP on my computer for 6 months and have
    had
    > > no problems installing hardware or softwear until today when I got the
    > > following error message:
    > >
    > > "You do not have access to make the required system configuration
    > > modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
    > > account."
    > >
    > > I don't know what to do here as this is my home computer and I am the
    only
    > > user---ever. I am listed as the administrator and there are no other
    user
    > > accounts set up. I am trying to install the drivers for a digital game
    > card
    > > which I used with no problems for years under Windows 98 SE.
    > >
    > > Any help appreciated. Thanks

    Thanks for the reply Dan, but you did not address the question in my
    original post. This is a fresh/new installation of Windows XP on a home
    built computer. There are no OEM venders. I have the XP cd and product
    key. There are no hidden partitions.

    Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem I submitted in my original
    post, not the one implied by Dan when he replied to my question? I think
    you are replying to Dan's post and not to my question.

    Thanks

    > In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:
    >
    > > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
    > > some type
    > > of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.
    >

    > No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
    > give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
    > can do this in one of three ways:
    >

    > 1. An OEM copy of Windows
    >
    > 2. A restore CD
    >
    > 3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.
    >
    > If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
    > contact your vendor to find out.
    >
    > Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
    > choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
    > unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
    > operating system.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Dan, what I don't understand is why, after 6 months, and I now getting this
    error message.

    "You do not have access to make the required system configuration
    modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators
    account."

    How can I rerun this installation from an administrators account when I am
    already running it from the only account on the computer, and one that I sat
    up?

    thanks

    > Thanks for the reply Dan, but you did not address the question in my
    > original post. This is a fresh/new installation of Windows XP on a home
    > built computer. There are no OEM venders. I have the XP cd and product
    > key. There are no hidden partitions.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem I submitted in my original
    > post, not the one implied by Dan when he replied to my question? I think
    > you are replying to Dan's post and not to my question.
    >
    > Thanks

    > > In news:uXpolGD9EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    > > Dan DeStefano <ddestefanoATiagrDOTnet> typed:
    > >
    > > > All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with
    > > > some type
    > > > of media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.
    > >

    > > No, OEM vendors are required by their agreement with Microsoft to
    > > give you a means of reinstalling, should it be necessary. They
    > > can do this in one of three ways:
    > >

    > > 1. An OEM copy of Windows
    > >
    > > 2. A restore CD
    > >
    > > 3. A hidden partition on your drive, with restore information.
    > >
    > > If you don't have 1 or 2, you should have 3, but you should
    > > contact your vendor to find out.
    > >
    > > Personally, I find both 2 and 3 unacceptable, and would never
    > > choose to buy a computer that came with an operating system
    > > unless I got a complete generic installation CD for that
    > > operating system.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Salut/Hi Dan DeStefano,

    le/on Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:52:32 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

    >All new PCs that come with XP preinstalled should come with some type of
    >media, whether it is the XP cd or a recovery CD.

    Not my new Toshiba Tecra laptop.

    However, it does come with have the ability to make what it calls "recovery
    disks" and has a product code stuck underneath. I made them, all 5 recovery
    CDs and an "applications CD". God help me if I ever need to reinstall!

    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

Windows XP