Dell 2407FPW or Westinghouse LCM-22w2 or?

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hey Guys,

Long time poster, under another handle, but haven't been here in a long while and can't for the life of me remember the email I used for my previous username!

Anyway, I'm having some issues selecting a good LCD for both gaming and work (mostly PS and office crap). It'd also be used to view DVDs on occasion.

I've actually received a Westy LCM-22w2 as a gift recently and have yet to open it because just prior to getting it as a gift I was looking at the dell 2407FPW. Not gonna open up the box of the westy because BB will charge me 15% restocking.

Anyway, I'm looking for some feedback on these two monitors from people who use them for the same thing I'm gonna be using them for.

Also, any other suggestions on any other monitor. Obviously the 24 incher sparks my interest more, but I don't want to trade quality for that if a smaller monitor will get me less ghosting or better text.

So chime in please. I've read reviews until I'm just confused as to which to go with. I guess I'm looking for someone to encourage me to go for the dell, but if someone can convince me to stay with the westy...great.

Let me know
Thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The Dell is much much better, but you can't beat free...

I got the Samsung 225BW, the best 22" widescreen monitor I thought of (Acer, Viewsonic, Spectre, and Westinghouse are the others ones I looked at) and it works perfectly fine for my purposes (gaming, movies, office apps, etc...)

The Dell monitor is hard to beat, but... it is fairly expensive, weighing in around 600 bucks. My suggestion, save the money, and keep you're 22".

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have the original receipt for the westy. They got the 3 year warranty from BB as well so the total comes to just over 600 bucks. Hence the reason I'm toying with the idea of switching over to the Dell.

Of course on black friday the westy went for 200 bucks, but they didn't know this.

So I have the funds to switch over to the dell when I take back the westy.

Thanks for the input, btw.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Good review. Thanks.

Also it cleared up something that I had wrong. I thought the dell was 14ms respons time. That was a previous model.

Hell yah I'm going with the dell, now. That whole response dealie was throwing me all this time.

Oh and yah, the warranties at BB are a joke, unless the particular item you warranty goes out of production. Then they give you a "like" item of same value. That can be good.

It was a gift, and you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Come to think of it, I've never looked any horse in the mouth, so I'm really wondering about that saying :)

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I think back in the days you can tell how old a horse is by looking it in the mouse or some shiz like that...

Shrug, yeah, that 22" Westinghouse is definitly not worth 600 bucks.. hope you like your new 24" monitor!

MisfitSELF

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I personally own the Dell 2407 and am quite pleased with it. I use it extensively for gaming. I almost wished I bought two! I know nothing about the Westy monitor.

If you can look up other posts by me you'll find one or two that give a pretty good review of the Dell monitor. (i'm just feeling too lazy to look them up myself).

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Already returned the westy. BB is screwing me there, however. Gotta wait up to 10 days for the return check. Anything over 200 something dollars has to be returned by check.

Anyway, Dood, I'm getting a Dell!

Thanks for all the help guys!

BTW, MisfitSELF,.......I might get two :)

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
ok, so I'm settling into the new monitor and I start thinking of all my options of entertainment.

So I wanna hook this up to my xbox360. Cool, I have the component cables....erm.. Small issue.

Where do I get sound from?

So to all the gurus out there who might have had this same idea (and I know it's possible, just not how), maybe you can throw me a bone and tell me what I'm gonna need to get the console experience on my 24inch monitor?

I have a Audigy2 zs soundcard, x800 graphics card. IS it possible somehow with this rig or am I looking at upgrading?

Maybe the creative DDTS-100? A tv tuner card if they are at all possible of handling HD?

Obviously I'd like to get as close to an HD gaming experience as possible so any help is appreciated.

Thanks