Problems with setting up home network

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
hi, i have a billion 5100 4 port router and have been trying to setup a home network - with the desktop computer and laptop, but it doesn't seem to work. I can share internet connections(i just plug the network cables in and it works - no setup) but cannot share files or the printer. I have tryed to place them into the same workgroup but the computers still doesn't reconize each other. would it be something to do with the router-like a configuration i need to do.
i also have norton internet security 2005, but have tried turning it off and still ins't networking properly.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Make sure you have MS File Share turned on and the folder "Shared Documents" or any you desiginate active. PC's must be in the same group and subnet if you want MS to display them in Network Places. Without adding them as a network places.

Run the Connection wizard, enter the IP of the pc you are tryng to connect to.

Norton and MS firewall will prevent access, it you don't add your subnet into the trusted zone.

And some routers have an option to prevent pc from seeing each other, too.

rxzero

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
hmm... can u provide a more indepth? i've tried putting files/folders on sharing, same workgroup n all, but the router still doesn't detect anything.

where do you go to input the IP addresses? is it them options available on the left bar in the "network connections"? (e.g. 'create new connection' ..'setup home or 'small office network' ..etc) as i tried them but they didn't work still.

where do u configure the subnets?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Make sure simple file sharing is turned on.

Add Network Place wizard, enter IP instead of name or link.

Some Router have a flag that makes each port private.