Sign in with
Your question

I think i just broke my AMD x2 5200, 8O need conf or ideas

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 7, 2006 9:43:24 AM

Hi boy's 'n girls!

I've been reading tomshardware for a couple of years now but i've never came around to actually start posting... But as so many others i now face a problem that i am unable to pinpoint myself.

I think i just broke my AMD x2 5200 8O

I started out to build my next rig from scratch and got everything up and running, and it sure ran nicely! Then i decided to get a aftermarket cpu cooler. 'Zalman 9700 Led", into it to reduce noice and see if i could push it over 3.0ghz.

The first time I booted, after installing the cooler, a couple of wierd things happened:
1. my image is distorted, i think the correct term is that i have a multitude of artifacts? Across the screen i get a couple of hundreds of lines around 2cm long each... these are orientated in colums so they're not completly random. these lines consists of dots of diffrent colors.
2. during post my bios reported that there was a cpu change. this only happened once.
3. windows boots in failsafe, with distortion, but not in normal mode, bluescreen. during boot the distortion temporary changes form to squares and briefly disappears when the computer temporary stops sending signals, then reapears before blueie.

now... my first thought was overheating but the temps are around 35 degress celsius on cpu and motherboard acording to onboard sensors (motherboard: M2N-SLI Deluxe). besides the distortion appears instantly and are pretty solid even as temp change.

Which lead me away from heat to physcal damage. After removing and inspecting everything (and i do mean EVERYTHING... even HDDs :lol:  ) i still cant find no faults.

I currently fear ESD damage. i was pretty, obviously not enough though, careful when installing but thinking back i did put it down on my carpet with spikes down and i guess it's possible that a minor ESD could've resulted.

...oh! thats right... when removing the stock cooler it was stuck, i started pulling an itty bitt hard i guess (next time i'll try twisting more instead) since the cpu came up at the same time as the cooler, it required a skalpell and steady hand to seperate them! The socket still was in locked mode. As previously stated i cant see any damage and the cpu goes in and stays there.

Opinions as to what the problem can be? And no... i do not have any friends with am2 sockets to troubleshoot towards, we're all poor students and it's loneley at the top :D 

jeez... this became long! Sorry 'bout that.
December 7, 2006 10:36:26 AM

Power the PC off

Unplug from mains for 3 minutes

Crack case open, reseat video card, CPU and RAM.

Confirm each PSU cable connection is good (reconnect them all).
- Try cable ties (If 20c can save you $200 it is worth it).

Try cold booting with the CPU, Video Card, and RAM removed
- Re-add each one, going through above process each time.

Put it back together
Hold [INSERT] down
Power it on
Wait for a single BEEP from POST - OK
Release [INSERT] key.

See if this helps.
December 7, 2006 10:50:50 AM

Try like Tabris said, but restore BIOS at defaults settings.
IMO you RAM caused the crap you see on the screen. It is also possible that you have damaged it. What hardware do you have (mainboard, RAM, graphics card) and what settings have you used for OC?
December 7, 2006 11:21:48 AM

Weird ass graphics all over your screen, I want to say your graphics. Failure to boot correctly, then I would point at ram. Highly doubt it's your CPU, these problems don't sound like issues a dead CPU would cause. Could also be something with your mobo... but yeah, its a good idea to test everything you have. Don't forget, test each individual stick of ram also (if you have more than 1 stick...)
December 7, 2006 11:25:35 AM

:wink: That's what holding Insert does, but it is more 'industrial' in that it'll work even if you can't boot.

Dates back to around.... days.
'New' as in the 1985 edition. - Talk about backwards compatible, we've had the BIOS for ages, it'll be replaced by an EFI soon enough though.

8) - Tabris:D arkPeace.

Some other tips you all might find useful:

Ctrl+F1 and/or Ctrl+F6 when sitting at main menu of BIOS often unlocks more features in the sub-menus than a typical DFI BIOS has - if you get my gist, After 'extreme tweakability' ? (to get those insane overclocks working - 100% stable - when no-one else can seam to touch your rigs performance).

Increasing Video RAM timings (I have a list of which ones somewhere) also permits very high speeds on GDDR3, 1.75 to 1.80 GHz on most 1.6 GHz GDDR3 cards is fairly easy after doing it.

Since I don't compete in games anymore, I feel may aswell share the tips.
December 7, 2006 11:42:43 AM

alright! thanks a bunch for the replies!

i tried the suggestions TabrisDarkPeace came with... with no luck unfortuatly. i was really carefull this time to do everything 100% proper. unplugged power cables and removed all parts. cold boot. insert next... boot and so on. not sure about the insert key though... got a usb keyboard and the insert key does not result in any feedback. what was i supposed to do?

gOJDO, i reset the bios both software style and hardware, no luck... as for the specs:
mb: M2N-SLI Deluxe
cpu: amd x2 5200
ram: corsair XMS2-6400 (xms64v1.2) (2*1024mb)
gpu: nvidia geforce 7900gtx
psu: thermaltake toughpower 750W
hdd: wd raptor 74gb (+ wd caviar rev2 500gb storage)
odd: pata dvd

bios: updated

as for OC, i haven't done any myself actually (yet) but i understand that PEG, linkbost, sli memory does some oc'ing themselves. it should be inactive when reset, gonna play around with it though.

i got the same message about cpu again though.
"warning cpu has been changed"
"please reenter CPU settings in the BIOS and remember to save before quit"
did that... it's reported correct in bios.

thanks again... any more suggestions?
December 7, 2006 12:10:44 PM

managed to finally find my camera!

this is the distortion i'm talking about... rings any bells?

oh sorry Doughbuy missed your reply! hmm... tried the diffrent ram sticks. remove one, boot, try the other one, boot. no luck... i agree that the cpu seems wierd, thats whats bugs me so much! after all that was the only component i touched.[/img]

edit: corrected the last link.
December 7, 2006 12:39:31 PM

I notice that you are using Vista OS
Have you got all the necessary Vista drivers ie chipset, CPU and graphic ? I don't think Nvidia has a vista driver for nForce 570 SLI just yet. AMD has no Vista CPU driver.

Your problem may be software related suggest you get rid of Vista and re-install XP, other than that reinstall the stock CPU cooler if you suspect hardware issue.

Good luck
December 7, 2006 12:55:09 PM

I don't think Vista has anything to do with a corrupted BIOS screen. What I think though, is that the mobo itself may not have taken kindly to seeing the CPU swapped. Have you tried another CPU? If the results are the same, I'd say your mobo needs to be replaced.
December 7, 2006 1:05:24 PM

try with other VGA also
December 7, 2006 1:05:39 PM

i think your nvidia geforce 7900gtx is busted.RMA it
December 7, 2006 1:30:04 PM

Ok. From those pictures and your discription, this is Definitely not a CPU problem. As a shop tech I see this more then a few times a month and you either have a bad video card, or mobo.

If your video card becomes damaged, due to heat, or a scratch, or just DOA, you will see these artifacts all over the screan, overlaying any image, including bios. As the resolution changes, you may see different patterns or the curruption can disapear entirely.

However, it can be problems in the AGP/PCI-E slot. This is usualy not the case, but it does happen. Either the correct voltage can not be maintained, or the bus has been damaged. The best way to test this is to put in a PCI video card, then put your new card in someone else's machine.

Just make sure to give yourself enough time to RMA the card cause thats going to be whats wrong.

Woosh, that CPU would have been expencive to replace.
a c 125 à CPUs
December 7, 2006 2:10:12 PM

Looks like when my video ram went bad(GeForce4 Ti)

Try to find a PCI(or pci-e) video card from an old computer(or from a computer no one will want when they find the video card is gone...) and see if you can boot with that?

It does not look like a damaged cpu. I am leaning towards video then ram.....
December 7, 2006 2:12:17 PM

you did a poor job at Summarizing my lengthy post which delvs into why, what causes, and what can be done.

Its not hard to read people posts before you post again. If people did this, we wouldnt have 100 posts All saying the exact same thing.
December 7, 2006 2:18:58 PM

Quote:

...oh! thats right... when removing the stock cooler it was stuck, i started pulling an itty bitt hard i guess (next time i'll try twisting more instead) since the cpu came up at the same time as the cooler, it required a skalpell and steady hand to seperate them! The socket still was in locked mode. As previously stated i cant see any damage and the cpu goes in and stays there.

Opinions as to what the problem can be? And no... i do not have any friends with am2 sockets to troubleshoot towards, we're all poor students and it's loneley at the top :D 

jeez... this became long! Sorry 'bout that.

So when removing the CPU cooler from the CPU you inadvertantly ripped the CPU out of a locked CPU socket?!

I would definitely suspect that you damaged the CPU socket on the motherboard. Yes, the CPU will still drop into the socket, but if the traces to the socket are damaged from pulling the socket away from the motherboard, the motherboard is toast.

The alternative is that you cracked a pin on the CPU pulling on it.

Find a mom and pop computer store near you and have them test the CPU in a board. If the CPU checks out, you overmonkeyed your motherboard.

Sorry for your loss. We've all done the He-Man thing on hardware at one time or another.
December 7, 2006 2:19:57 PM

Quote:
managed to finally find my camera!

this is the distortion i'm talking about... rings any bells?

Those artefacts look like graphical corruption, I saw that on defective or loosely fitted video cards, disconnect any power connectors, remove the card, clean the contacts with isopropanol (AKA Contact Cleaner) and a lint free wipe, reseat it and connect the wires back.

If it fail to fix your problem, that card of yours could be defective, just RMA it...
December 7, 2006 2:25:24 PM

Can you elaborate a bit more on what happened when you pulled the H/S and CPU out of the socket?

Being in the locked posistion when you pulled it out is definetely not good. I fear you damaged the socket even tho it map appear the chip is seating when you reinstalled.

As you stated, prior to the H/S Fan swap everything was in perfect order.

How long had your rig been running prior to changing out the H/S?
December 7, 2006 2:43:15 PM

Quote:
Ok. From those pictures and your discription, this is Definitely not a CPU problem. As a shop tech I see this more then a few times a month and you either have a bad video card, or mobo.

If your video card becomes damaged, due to heat, or a scratch, or just DOA, you will see these artifacts all over the screan, overlaying any image, including bios. As the resolution changes, you may see different patterns or the curruption can disapear entirely.

However, it can be problems in the AGP/PCI-E slot. This is usualy not the case, but it does happen. Either the correct voltage can not be maintained, or the bus has been damaged. The best way to test this is to put in a PCI video card, then put your new card in someone else's machine.

Just make sure to give yourself enough time to RMA the card cause thats going to be whats wrong.

Woosh, that CPU would have been expencive to replace.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2006 3:40:15 PM

One thing I didn't see is that to high PCIe frequency could also cause this.

Except for the obvious, dead/not properly seated video card, I would say the ram is another direction really worth investigating. Had this problem with early P5WDH /P5B Dlx (intel board but whatever) and OCZ RAM, had to tweak some memory parameters and it went away.
December 7, 2006 6:14:09 PM

sorry guy's about taking so much time replying, i accedentially past out while trying to read my math book (i started crying looking on my broken computer :cry:  ). this is really emotiaonal for me!

i can confirm that there are no drivers for vista, java netbeans doesnt even work. it's cool though and i got to much study to do that prevents me from playing anyway so. Mitch074 has right in that this during post, so i doubt that's the source of this problem.

mm... there's a vast majority considering an faulty graphic card, that would be something i can troubleshot! gonna have a friend rip up his rig tomorrow and see what wonders my card can do in his. someone might even have a pci card lying around if that turns out to be ok.
hmm.. faulty ram? guess the very same pals ram is in my targetsight.
and i guess the same goes for trying the psu.
big thanks to all who pointed to this, on it tomorrow since friend sleeps now!

Cruentus
the cooler removing hi-man style was actually quite nescessary, the socket protects against twisting and i tell you... the stock coolers cooler paste is glue! so basicly i pulled just a bit more than i would like to do and *plop* out came cpu and everything. i didn't wait until the coolerunit cooled down, it was still a little warm so i guess that could be it. i ve been looking quite carefull at the pegs and recivers but my eyes are not perfect and thats some small details.
the rig had been up for 2 weeks with no OC.

i really appreciate all the help you've given so far! i waited for 4months (true! honestly) for that cpu and paid a small fortune, with a downed rig as result, so i pray that is not the injured part :D 
December 7, 2006 6:38:22 PM

It looks as if you've got one or more damaged memory modules on your videocard.
December 8, 2006 11:11:36 AM

it was the bloody graphics card... :( 

after an adventure involving tons of rain, a rented car, lots of begging and finally a bit tinkering with my friends computer, it turned out too what soo many of you pointed too (actually im pretty sure everyone pointed to it!), changing the graphic card resulted in a normal screen.

as too how the **** that's even possible is completly beyond me, i never even touched the little crybaby! gonna see if the warranty is gonna help me out, which i actually thinks it should since i really didn't do anything with that one (as opposed to the cpu, who i've abused at least a little bit :D  )

BIG THANKS! too all ye wonderfull souls, who haunts this here forum! Without you i would've RMA'd a fully functional cpu without results.

See you around!
December 8, 2006 12:41:35 PM

Np we are here to help all who tresspass.

Glad to have saved you some trouble.
!