address book

I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information except
address book in outlook express. I have copied the file wab.exe to another
drive but after reload address are not there. Any help on this matter is
greatly appreciated.
12 answers Last reply
More about address book

    Rick & Deb wrote:
    > I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information except
    > address book in outlook express. I have copied the file wab.exe to another
    > drive but after reload address are not there. Any help on this matter is
    > greatly appreciated.

    To save your addresses you need to export them. Open OE,click File then
    click on export. You can export addresses and messages. The file you
    copied is the file used to execute the address book program.

    gls858

    "Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    > I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information
    > except address book in outlook express. I have copied the file
    > wab.exe to another drive but after reload address are not there. Any
    > help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

    You saved the Address Book executable, not the data file. See
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab
    Backup Windows Address Book Entries
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/exportwab.htm

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Thanks guy's for all your help.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    >> I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information
    >> except address book in outlook express. I have copied the file
    >> wab.exe to another drive but after reload address are not there. Any
    >> help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > You saved the Address Book executable, not the data file. See
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab
    > Backup Windows Address Book Entries
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/exportwab.htm
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Here is something to ponder. I went to article list in above message. I did
    a search, put in the string "*.wab" and the search came up empty. I searched
    all drives. I exported file from outlook express. Did a search and it found
    one, went to it. When I opened it, was empty. I checked my address book in
    outlook and address are still there. ? Is there another extension that it
    could be using? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    >> I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information
    >> except address book in outlook express. I have copied the file
    >> wab.exe to another drive but after reload address are not there. Any
    >> help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > You saved the Address Book executable, not the data file. See
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
    > http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab
    > Backup Windows Address Book Entries
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/exportwab.htm
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Instead of the wab.exe file you need to find a file like
    "Rick.wab". You might want to take a look at the address book
    section here:

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,68767,pg,2,00.asp

    You should place this file in the C:\Documents and
    Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book folder.

    If you didn't back up any of your .wab files then you may be out
    of luck.

    Nepatsfan

    Rick & Deb wrote:
    > Here is something to ponder. I went to article list in above message. I did
    > a search, put in the string "*.wab" and the search came up empty. I searched
    > all drives. I exported file from outlook express. Did a search and it found
    > one, went to it. When I opened it, was empty. I checked my address book in
    > outlook and address are still there. ? Is there another extension that it
    > could be using? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information
    >>>except address book in outlook express. I have copied the file
    >>>wab.exe to another drive but after reload address are not there. Any
    >>>help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>You saved the Address Book executable, not the data file. See
    >>http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
    >>http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab
    >>Backup Windows Address Book Entries
    >>http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/exportwab.htm
    >>
    >>--
    >>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >>http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >>Protect your PC
    >>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    When you export it use the save as csv option. Hit the browse
    button and save it to your desktop. you should find a file
    there with the name you gave it followed by .csv (comma seperated
    values). On the new install import this csv file to OE.

    gls858

    Here is something to ponder. I went to article list in above message. I did
    a search, put in the string "*.wab" and the search came up empty. I searched
    all drives. I exported file from outlook express. Did a search and it found
    one, went to it. When I opened it, was empty. I checked my address book in
    outlook and address are still there. ? Is there another extension that it
    could be using? Any and all help greatly appreciated. I keep posting in
    wrong place, sorry.

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Rick & Deb wrote:
    >> I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my information
    >> except address book in outlook express. I have copied the file wab.exe to
    >> another drive but after reload address are not there. Any help on this
    >> matter is greatly appreciated.
    > To save your addresses you need to export them. Open OE,click File then
    > click on export. You can export addresses and messages. The file you
    > copied is the file used to execute the address book program.
    >
    > gls858

    Okay that took care of it, thanks again.

    Rick & Deb wrote:
    > Okay that took care of it, thanks again.
    >
    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rick & Deb wrote:
    >>
    >>>Here is something to ponder. I went to article list in above message. I
    >>>did a search, put in the string "*.wab" and the search came up empty. I
    >>>searched all drives. I exported file from outlook express. Did a search
    >>>and it found one, went to it. When I opened it, was empty. I checked my
    >>>address book in outlook and address are still there. ? Is there another
    >>>extension that it could be using? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >>>"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >>When you export it use the save as csv option. Hit the browse
    >>button and save it to your desktop. you should find a file
    >>there with the name you gave it followed by .csv (comma seperated values).
    >>On the new install import this csv file to OE.
    >>
    >>gls858

    Glad it worked. Thanks for reporting back.

    gls858

    In Win2K and WinXP the WAB file may be hidden. Set Search to search hidden
    files and folders.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > Here is something to ponder. I went to article list in above message.
    > I did a search, put in the string "*.wab" and the search came up
    > empty. I searched all drives. I exported file from outlook express.
    > Did a search and it found one, went to it. When I opened it, was
    > empty. I checked my address book in outlook and address are still
    > there. ? Is there another extension that it could be using? Any and
    > all help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Rick & Deb" <sparky1957@itwonthelp.net> wrote in message
    >>> I have had to reload a couple of times. I can save all my
    >>> information except address book in outlook express. I have copied
    >>> the file wab.exe to another drive but after reload address are not
    >>> there. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> You saved the Address Book executable, not the data file. See
    >> http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
    >> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab
    >> Backup Windows Address Book Entries
    >> http://home.earthlink.net/~kuaytim/exportwab.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    That was how I found it. Thanks again

    > That was how I found it. Thanks again
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    > message news:e7L9ziF9EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    >> In Win2K and WinXP the WAB file may be hidden. Set Search to search
    >> hidden files and folders.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

    You're welcome.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP Books