Seemingly a display problem.. but not help!

jonnyd

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Hi all first time post on these forums so go easy, not entirely sure if this is the right section.

My specs are as follows

Opty 146 CACJE @ 2.8
Artic Freezer CPU Cooler
4X 512 3200 Micron RAM
X800xt ICEQ Cooled
DFI UT Ultra Lan Party 939 Mobo

I have had my system overclocked at this for the past year with no problems or crashes with encoding, demanding games etc
Then all of a sudden this appears on my screen without warning yesterday:

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

Initially I assumed it must be a graphics problem so swapped my x800xt for an old 9800Pro. However the problem persisted. There were no beep error codes, in fact in the background the system seems to startup like normal.
I have since cleaned all the dust off any of the components and reset the CMOS via removing the battery. However the problem still persists. Is this a motherboard AGP slot problem, or something else? Any advice anyone could give me would be most appreciated as I am at a loss!

Regards

jd

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Cold boot, power off at mains for 3 minutes, hold [INSERT] down, then power back on while holding the [Insert] key down until the POST beep happens.

Do you get video during the boot up, and then when XP splash screen appears it then goes all funny ?

If so Hold F8 after the single [OK] POST beep, then - assuming text modes work - try booting with VGA Mode flagged.

jonnyd

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
have done as suggested and tried the 'DFI Street Cold boot Method' however neither of those show any success. Having tried it several times, once i got into BIOS but within seconds the screen had reverted to its haywire state. It is literally a case of power on - messed up screen. really am at a loss!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Re-attach your NorthBridge chipset heatsink on mainboard, and GPU heatsink on video card.

Getting to the point of RMA here - :cry:

:?: Power or Monitor cable ?

It is either mainboard, video card, with the ever so slimest chance it could be PSU (but prob less than 3% chance that it is).

jonnyd

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
have reattatched both heatsinks with fresh coats off thermal paste... still no luck :(
have tried a different monitor cable + different monitor and also different power cable. going to try and borrow a pci card tomorrow to check if it is just the AGP bus on the mobo that is gone. Looks like it could be time to go for a new pci express mobo, although that means a new GPU as well. can't believe its only been a year as well. doubt RMA will be an option as i've OC'd it etc...