Sign in with
Your question

Installing Hard drive...

Last response: in Storage
December 7, 2006 10:50:47 AM

I have one IDE cable going from my DVDburner to my hard drive, then to the motherboard. Am i supposed to put a jumper on one of the drives?

the reason i ask this is because i keep getting the error message "failure to boot disk, insert system CD and press any key"

i reformatted the hard-drive and installed a fresh copy of XP and i still get the message. If i restart the computer or just go into my BIOS then exit, i will not get the error. Only ifi completely turn off the computer and turn it back on. For me to bypass this error, i would go into the BIOS, then just leavewithout making any changes,,, and it works fine

More about : installing hard drive

December 7, 2006 11:33:13 AM

on your drives you have 3 positions:
MA = master
SL = Slave
CS = Cable select
your DVD burner should be slave
your hard drive should be master
also make sure the HD has a active boot partition and the first boot device.

so jumper on both drives, but different location
be careful if you google master slave :wink:
you could get some weird answers

edit: some hard drives use slave when they haven't got a jumper, so maybe you should post the brand and type of hard drive and DVD-R you are installing. so we can help you some more
December 7, 2006 11:55:19 AM

Meh, I have nothing more to add except do not google master slave at work... unless you're looking forward to unemployment checks... =P
Related resources
December 8, 2006 4:37:39 PM

Proper physical layout on your cable dictates that the DVD should be on the middle connector (jumpered as Slave), and your hd on the non-blue end (jumpered as Master or Single).

You should have an 80 wire cable, with one blue end which goes into the mobo.

Your boot order in the BIOS should have the CD-R drive, (which should be Mastered on the Secondary channel) as the first boot device; floppy second (if present); hd third.

If you just have the DVD, this has to be moved to the Secondary channel. You cannot have two masters on one cable.
December 9, 2006 5:05:03 PM

Quote:
Proper physical layout on your cable dictates that the DVD should be on the middle connector (jumpered as Slave), and your hd on the non-blue end (jumpered as Master or Single).

You should have an 80 wire cable, with one blue end which goes into the mobo.

Your boot order in the BIOS should have the CD-R drive, (which should be Mastered on the Secondary channel) as the first boot device; floppy second (if present); hd third.

If you just have the DVD, this has to be moved to the Secondary channel. You cannot have two masters on one cable.

position on the cable only matter on the cable select position, doesnt matter for master/slave..
December 9, 2006 8:46:14 PM

This may be a good discussion Pat.

You may be right if both items are hd's.

On your point, if both pieces of hardware are jumpered for cable-select, why would it matter what position they're in?

I'm just going by my past teachings, as I was learning, that the Master should be at the end to avoid glitches. Most especially if one is mixing hard drives with CD's (or DVD's as in this case).
December 9, 2006 10:03:48 PM

Here is a better thing to google in getting the answer...
Hard drive jumper settings

(I haven't tried it myself, but I assure you it will give more appropriate stuff than master and slave)
:wink:

as for the Cable select goes, stuff from some vendor may have odd behaviour if both drives are set to "Cable select" (any decently new stuff shouldn't have this problem though)
December 9, 2006 10:17:42 PM

Quote:
This may be a good discussion Pat.

You may be right if both items are hd's.

On your point, if both pieces of hardware are jumpered for cable-select, why would it matter what position they're in?

I'm just going by my past teachings, as I was learning, that the Master should be at the end to avoid glitches. Most especially if one is mixing hard drives with CD's (or DVD's as in this case).

I've never used cable select. I always use master/slave because jumper allow for easier drive management. So I know that position on the cable for master slave operation don't matter.

As for cable select, well, if both device are configured as sush, well, there is still a need for master/slave to know which device is what.. so the position on the cable determine the master device as well as the slave one.
!