Webcam Feedback Needed

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
October 2, 2004 4:34:27 PM

Hi group,

I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder, and I'd
really appreciate some comments.

Good, bad, or in-between. :-)

What I'd really like to know is;

Did you have any trouble connecting?
Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
Is the color OK?
Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of a fish
tank.)
What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?

http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm

Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with your
comments. Either way works for me.

TIA,

Thom

More about : webcam feedback needed

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 8:52:20 PM

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:34:27 -0400, "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid>
wrote:

>Hi group,
>
>I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder, and I'd
>really appreciate some comments.
>
>Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>
>What I'd really like to know is;
>
>Did you have any trouble connecting?
>Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
>Is the color OK?
>Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of a fish
>tank.)
>What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>
>http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>
>Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with your
>comments. Either way works for me.

Never saw a video, just buffering..., video clip....,
buffering..., etc.
October 2, 2004 8:52:21 PM

Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:34:27 -0400, "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi group,
>>
>>I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder,
>>and I'd really appreciate some comments.
>>
>>Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>>
>>What I'd really like to know is;
>>
>>Did you have any trouble connecting?
>>Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
>>Is the color OK?
>>Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of
>>a fish tank.)
>>What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>>
>>http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>
>>Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with
>>your comments. Either way works for me.
>
> Never saw a video, just buffering..., video clip....,
> buffering..., etc.

Hmmm. Perhaps I over-tweaked. :-) Are you on a dial-up connection?

I've made further adjustments. Hope you'll try again.

Thanks for the reply,

Thom
October 2, 2004 9:23:06 PM

Thom <Thom@no.invalid> spewed:
> Did you have any trouble connecting?
Nope.
> Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
Very much so. No choppies at all.
> Is the color OK?
Very nice as well.
> Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of
> a fish tank.)
Looks good... more like video from a camcorder than a cheap webcam.
> What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
55k/sec

Kinda makes me wanna stream on my cam page now. :)  I'm just nervous
about leaving ports open on the firewall.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

Robert J Batina <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Thom <Thom@no.invalid> spewed:
>> Did you have any trouble connecting?
> Nope.
>> Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
> Very much so. No choppies at all.
>> Is the color OK?
> Very nice as well.
>> Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of
>> a fish tank.)
> Looks good... more like video from a camcorder than a cheap webcam.
>> What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the
>> cam? 55k/sec
>
> Kinda makes me wanna stream on my cam page now. :)  I'm just
> nervous about leaving ports open on the firewall.

Thanks for the reply.

And I don't worry about the open port. There isn't a darn thing on this
machine worth stealing. Excepting the bandwidth, of course. :-)
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 9:24:16 PM

FYI, I was viewing on a RoadRunner cable connection.

--
The Toe Pages:
http://www.rubbertoe.com

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:09:56 -0400, "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid>
wrote:

>Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:34:27 -0400, "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi group,
>>>
>>>I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder,
>>>and I'd really appreciate some comments.
>>>
>>>Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>>>
>>>What I'd really like to know is;
>>>
>>>Did you have any trouble connecting?
>>>Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
>>>Is the color OK?
>>>Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of
>>>a fish tank.)
>>>What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>>>
>>>http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>>
>>>Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with
>>>your comments. Either way works for me.
>>
>> Never saw a video, just buffering..., video clip....,
>> buffering..., etc.
>
>Hmmm. Perhaps I over-tweaked. :-) Are you on a dial-up connection?

Cable connection.

>I've made further adjustments. Hope you'll try again.

I can now see the video at ~55kbps.
October 2, 2004 9:41:02 PM

Si Ballenger <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:09:56 -0400, "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid>
> wrote:

> Never saw a video, just buffering..., video clip....,
> buffering..., etc.

>> Hmmm. Perhaps I over-tweaked. :-) Are you on a dial-up connection?

> Cable connection.
>
>> I've made further adjustments. Hope you'll try again.
>
> I can now see the video at ~55kbps.

Thanks again.

Thom
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:59:35 AM

"Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder, and
> I'd really appreciate some comments.
>
> Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>
> What I'd really like to know is;
>
> Did you have any trouble connecting?
> Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
> Is the color OK?
> Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of a
> fish tank.)
> What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>
> http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>
> Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with your
> comments. Either way works for me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Thom

Thom,

It's looking good @ 29.3 fps and 65 Kbps in the HTTP protocol. It even looks
good in full screen mode!
(I'm on a 8Mbit line)

All I need now is some sound and I'll have my own fish tank :-)

I would not do anymore tweaking on that stream. What you could do now is
start adding one for some slower connections.

Keep up the good work!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

Noël® <n03l@h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote:

> "Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message

>> Hi group,
>>
>> I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder,
>> and I'd really appreciate some comments.
>>
>> Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>>
>> What I'd really like to know is;
>>
>> Did you have any trouble connecting?
>> Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
>> Is the color OK?
>> Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side
>> of a fish tank.)
>> What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>>
>> http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>>
>> Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with
>> your comments. Either way works for me.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Thom
>
> Thom,
>
> It's looking good @ 29.3 fps and 65 Kbps in the HTTP protocol. It
> even looks good in full screen mode!
> (I'm on a 8Mbit line)
>
> All I need now is some sound and I'll have my own fish tank :-)

Ya know? I can DO that! The only thing stopping me is that you might hear
me swearing as I try to set it up properly. :-)

> I would not do anymore tweaking on that stream. What you could do now
> is start adding one for some slower connections.

Gotcha. ;-)

> Keep up the good work!

Thanks.

Thom
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 1:03:39 AM

65k actual 67k
29 fps actual 15
loads and runs fast enough
now you need to house break those fish and make them polish up that water
with a diatom filter

"Thom" <Thom@no.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I've been messing around with the settings in Windows Media Encoder, and
I'd
> really appreciate some comments.
>
> Good, bad, or in-between. :-)
>
> What I'd really like to know is;
>
> Did you have any trouble connecting?
> Does the stream looks close to "real-time"?
> Is the color OK?
> Is the image quality OK? (Remember you're looking through the side of a
fish
> tank.)
> What "bit rate" is being reported by the info-bar underneath the cam?
>
> http://www.crampy.com/webcam.htm
>
> Feel free to use the email link on the page, or post back here with your
> comments. Either way works for me.
>
> TIA,
>
> Thom

October 3, 2004 1:03:40 AM

bumtracks <justaposter@usenet.bud> wrote:

> 65k actual 67k
> 29 fps actual 15
> loads and runs fast enough
> now you need to house break those fish and make them polish up that
> water with a diatom filter

LOL!

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Thom