Thermal paste on after market fan - how to

LPJ

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Newbie question - I'm putting together my first build and have a E6300 CPU (OEM) and Thermaltake TR2-M21 RX fan. The fan has paste already applied to the heat spreader (?). I have two questions:

1) the Intel website shows the paste being applied in three strips, but the fan has the paste on the whole bottom (circle around size of a quarter). Is this OK to use or should I remove it and put on after market paste.

2) Being a newbie, I didn't realize that it was paste and accidentally shmeared it. Whats the best way to smooth it back out, or is it fine as is?

I do not plan on over clocking.

Thanks.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
The underside of the heatsink should have a small very thin amoumt os paste applied ti it, about the size of a quarter(maximum). You could spread the existing paste flatter with a screwdiver blade, razor blade or even a credit card!

I think a picture of a heatsink with 3 x strips is a newer type, where the paste is on 3 x very thin self adhesive strips, and purports to do the same job.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Well, i wouldn't go as far as using a screwdriver, but stock thermal compound should definitely be replaced with something better. Arctic Silver 3 or 5 for instance. Remove the old stuff from the base of the heatsink (dont scratch it) , and apply a small amount to the top of the cpu. spread it as thing as possible with a credit card, then install the heatsink, and move it around a bit. this adjustment will squeeze out the extras (if there any)

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
With something like AS5 I think you usually see a 3-5 degrees jrop in temperatures. I think if you dont plan on OCing then I think you dont need it and you can just apply the HSF as it is.