Just got a new PSU

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I upgraded to a 700W PSU from a 430W to allow for future video card expansion as well as the fact that I have 4 hard drives and 3 optical drives...

I went through last night, and removed all of the old PSU stuffs of course and followed up by installing the new power supply.

When I went to turn on the machine, it did nothing. No case lighting, not even anything from the PSU. The mobo does have some lights that light up, however, I am not too sure what they are...

One thing I was concerned about when building it was the main power to the board, the connection from the PSU was smaller than the connection on the board by 4 pins, howver, I doubt they'd have PSU's that don't work no matter how many pins that don't match on the board...

Of coruse, I believe I am fairly certain that I connected everything, what could I have missed, perhaps a small connection somewhere?

Any ideas? I am at work and not in front of my computer, but I can try to answer any questions that come on. I didn't do much troubleshooting last night as I was tired and didn't really want to deal with it right then, so any thoughts going in to tonights troubleshotting would be great.

Thanks!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Uh... there should be an additional 4 pins that's next to the main ATX power line from the PSU... are you sure you connected everything? What brand/model PSU did you get?

There are also 20-24 pin adapters...

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Sorry, meant to include that in original post...

I got a OCZ 700 GXS SLI 700W.

I was unaware of the 20-24pin adapters, should I pick one of them up?

And I know for a fact I got the 4 pin next to the 24pin...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Did you get the orientation of the 4-pin next to the 20-pin correctly. Yeah, the main ATX power cord should have come with an additional 4-pin connector that you clip on to the side of the ATX cable. Double check that and see if that's your problem.

ewooding

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I'll double check for that addon to the 20pin tonight... Also, not sure what you mean by the orientation of the 4 pin below it... I put it in how it fit, don't think it would have gone in any other way than how I did...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The 20 pin can pretty much only go in one way. That additional 4 pin adapater is designed to only go in one way, but it is fairly easy to jam it in the wrong way also... shrug.