CPU Fan Advice

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
So before I went on CPU Fan buying run, I wanted to poll the forumz to get some advice/opinions.

I currently have a CPU with a 478 socket and the current fan I have on it is making a racket, so I'm wanting to replace it with something quieter and more effecient at cooling (I'm constantly getting near 65C). However, I also plan on building a whole new rig in the near future with much needed updated parts.

So here's the part where I need opinions.

Should I...

1) buy a good but not great CPU fan for now and get a killer one for the new rig
2) live with my current fan until the upgrade
3) buy a good fan that would fit my current mobo and fit a socket for a new mobo

If you answer 1, 2 or 3 could you also please suggest a fan based on your opinion. Thanks!

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
If it's making a racket - then chances are its the ball bearings, about to fail. They are noisier than sleeve bearings, but just before failing - they give you a sign.
So, if you don't want your CPU to burn - just change the fan.
Or, buy one of those super coolers, like Zalman 9700, because they come with mounting brackets for all sockets. When you upgrade - just use another bracket from the set, and trust me, this hell of a cooler will take care of any CPU

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The Zalman 9700 is a bit overpriced for what it delivers. If you can find it for $50 then it's a good deal. However, it's usually in the $60 range and there are better air coolers for the money at that price. Avoid the Zalman 9500 unless you can find it for $35.

The original Ninja is running $40 right now at Newegg. It will easily outclass the 9700. This version however is not AM2 compatible but it doesn't sound like you were interested in going the AM2 route.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I too would pass on the Zalman coolers, the older ones CNPS7700, and 7000 are ok because they are fairly low profile and can fit in small cases, htpcs and such... but the big heatpipe ones dont really compare with the heatpipe offerings from others, like the scythe, thermaltake, or thermalright ones, etc.