Noob seeking Overclocking advice...

TRiPNoTiiZ

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Morning guys/gals.

I've just completed building my first rig and am seeking some advice as to how I can maximize its horsepower, so to speak.

The specs are as follows:
Core 2 E6600, P5B systemboard (in retrospect, I probably should have gone with the deluxe model), Arctic 7 Pro CPU fan, Arctic Silver paste + 2 other fans. I'm running 2GB of Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM (4 X 512) and a EVGA 8800GTX video card.

I've tried researching overclocking settings - including wusy's post on this very board. I do understand that settings are changed via the JumperFree menu in the system BIOS, though I'm having trouble understanding precisely which settings do what.

I'm certainly not looking for someone to do it for me, as I would very much like to learn how to use the BIOS features for this and future builds. Any overview in laymans terms would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
well first of all, Bios isn't really a feature, its the most basic software your system used and is more or less just for system settings, second, why'd you get 4 sticks of 512, 2x1Gig sticks would have been alot better for overclocking Wusy also explains everything about overclocking and the FSB frequency's CPU multipliers etc, re-read

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Sorry mate your'e out of luck on this particular forum. You will recieve the stock answer which is "Check out Wusy's guide and if you don't understand how to use it then you are lower than the dirt on my shoe". Seems like this guy Wusy has recieved ultimate cult status on these boards and anyone who doesnt understand his deep and meaningful prose and do his masters deed do not deserve any other advice.
Wusy is obviously trained in the dark arts of all things computer related and good luck too him but to question his work any deeper and even suggest another guide to help the more noobish types (like me) then his acolytes round on you and persecute you and torture you like the zealots they are. In other words don't come here on these boards and question anything to do with Wusy's guide or you shall be humilliated.
Ha ha ha ha don't you understand the words of the great Wusy?
ps. be sure to bow your head when you utter the holy ones name.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You may need to scrutinze the forums specifically for those who have overclocking experiences with your P5B. Also, there are many alternatives to THG forums. You can check the Asus forum, or Google your questions, or check other sites such as AnadTech, ClubOverclockers, ExtremeOverclocking, GamePC, HardwareAnalysis, MadShrimps, OverclockersClub, X-bit, and XtremeSystems, just to mention a few.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your overclocking endeavors. :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Sorry mate your'e out of luck on this particular forum. You will recieve the stock answer which is "Check out Wusy's guide and if you don't understand how to use it then you are lower than the dirt on my shoe". Seems like this guy Wusy has recieved ultimate cult status on these boards and anyone who doesnt understand his deep and meaningful prose and do his masters deed do not deserve any other advice.
Wusy is obviously trained in the dark arts of all things computer related and good luck too him but to question his work any deeper and even suggest another guide to help the more noobish types (like me) then his acolytes round on you and persecute you and torture you like the zealots they are. In other words don't come here on these boards and question anything to do with Wusy's guide or you shall be humilliated.
Ha ha ha ha don't you understand the words of the great Wusy?
ps. be sure to bow your head when you utter the holy ones name.
Don't pout, pick your bottom lip up off the ground. Wusy's O/C guide is there for a reason(and yes..he knows his sh!t). It's there to prevent 100's of posts explaining the very same thing...over and over. The way he has it laid out, helps to eliminate a lot of the what-if's.