AMD Elaborates on PS4's Custom ''Jaguar'' APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]"(17 GB/sec of bandwidth)"That seems somewhat low, particularly for a GPU[/citation]
very low indeed....AMD really needs to work on their coding....they are lagging big time

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
[citation][nom]EXT64[/nom]"(17 GB/sec of bandwidth)"That seems somewhat low, particularly for a GPU[/citation]

That's exactly what I was thinking.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
17 GB/sec is too low for GDDR5 memory, I mean a geforce 8400gs has more o_O! Actually a more real number would 170 Gb/sec, my HD6950 is about that number with 1330 memory clock... Which is about the bandwith of a HD 7850 and therefore the suspected performance of the APU....

This is awesome, a partial gaming computer on that console will be great for ports and the raw power looks awesome compared with the PS3 hardware and what it can do by now.... So it may last pretty good. Imagine what developers can do with such power actually "used" or better said, optimized! yeah! :D

You guys have GOT to start checking things Toms says instead of just nagging on whoever the article is about. how can you read news here and not know they always mess it up? If it sounds wrong it probably is. From their own article that they linked.

"The 8GB of unified memory is shared between the CPU and GPU and supplies over 170GB/s of bandwidth."

They just screwed up their copy and paste again

bossferas

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I am confused... are they going to have an apu (with its gpu on-die) and another separate gpu in the system totaling two gpu's? or will it just have a strong apu?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bossferas[/nom]I am confused... are they going to have an apu (with its gpu on-die) and another separate gpu in the system totaling two gpu's? or will it just have a strong apu?[/citation]

From what I researched, there were no mentions of a separate GPU. Besides, it would make sense to have a single GPU than a more cumbersome dual GPU system (think micro-stuttering).

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]From what I researched, there were no mentions of a separate GPU. Besides, it would make sense to have a single GPU than a more cumbersome dual GPU system (think micro-stuttering).[/citation]
Well, they mention that there is an enhanced GPU and I dont know of any APU's that come even close to a 7850 in performance, so its likely an APU and a GPU (they also mention parallel processing, which is what that would involve)

forces

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Wii U, xbox 720 and PS4 all have AMD Radeon graphics... well done AMD... you have a lot of work to do... things look better now

[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]Well, they mention that there is an enhanced GPU and I dont know of any APU's that come even close to a 7850 in performance, so its likely an APU and a GPU (they also mention parallel processing, which is what that would involve)[/citation]

It's a custom APU. From what I've read, they basically integrated a Jaguar CPU into a Pitcairn-like GPU.

Also, modern multi GPU gaming is actually not using multiple GPUs for enhanced parallel processing, at least not in the way that the word seems to imply to me. That would be splitting a frame between the GPUs whereas modern multi-GPU technology lets each GPU take turns rendering entire frames on its own. Maybe that still counts as parallel processing, but it's not what the phrase seems to imply to me. I think that they were just throwing that term out there for work between the CPU and the GPU.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]Its internal gpu so its clear to be less capable compare to dedicated gpu[/citation]

Well dedicated GPU's are usually more powerful, that's kind of a "duuuh" thing to say. But that shouldn't matter in this case because its pretty obvious from the specs its a fairly capable machine.

Does this mean the GTA V port to PC will be super optimized?????

considering the reduced overhead on the hardware side and the optimized software platform we would ideally see gaming capabilities close to a highend piledriver/7950 desktop rig in terms of pure gaming... should be awesome

Domination of the console market is a big feather in AMD's cap. There are megabucks to be made in that space and the extra revenue will greatly aid AMD's R&D department in coming out with a CPU that doesn't stink to high heaven.

[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]You think?....[/citation]

Being integrated doesn't mean that it can't beat a dedicated/discrete model. It all depends on the exact models that you are comparing. For example, if you compare an integrated Radeon 6550D from a Llano A8 to a discrete Radeon 6450, the integrated will kick the crap out of the discrete. If you compare an integrated Radeon 7660D from an A10-5800K, an even more powerful APU, to a discrete Radeon 7770, then the discrete will beat it badly. However, if you compare that discrete Radeon 7770 to an integrated Radeon 7870 like is theoretically comparable to the PS4's GPU, that integrated GPU will again win even without considering how consoles have an extreme optimization advantage.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]Its internal gpu so its clear to be less capable compare to dedicated gpu[/citation]

An integrated GPU can match or even outperform (due to reduced latency in communication with the CPU) a dedicated GPU with the same chunk of silicon, if two conditions are met:

1. A very fast system RAM is used. In this case, the PS4's GDDR5 system RAM blows even DDR4 RAM out of the water in bandwidth performance.

2. Sufficient thermal dissipation, because cooling one hot silicon is harder than two smaller pieces. I'm fairly sure Sony took precautions so the APU doesn't overheat and burn out.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT:

And if you still think integrated GPUs suck, how about the GT 610m? Sure, it's a discrete GPU with its own memory system, but a worthless one because an Intel HD 4000 matches it in performance.

And yes, there was an i7 laptop that had the GT 610m paired with it. Seriously.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
If the CPU is a Kabini like CPU, then either Kabini will be really powerful....or the PS4 would have pretty weak CPUs compared to even an AMD A4 or Intel Celeron B830 system

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I see a future lawsuit coming from Atari with the Jaguar system they tried to market back in 1993. It didn't sell well, and the platform failed, but the name could be lucrative for Atari if they sit on this for a while and wait for future "damages" from Sony.

[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]I see a future lawsuit coming from Atari with the Jaguar system they tried to market back in 1993. It didn't sell well, and the platform failed, but the name could be lucrative for Atari if they sit on this for a while and wait for future "damages" from Sony.[/citation]

I don't think that would work with chip codenames, especially since it's AMD's codename, not Sony's.

Status
Not open for further replies.