Updates and XP

I've had XP installed for about 2.5 years and have kept it up to date
with all patches and SP's.
Despite this, I am getting more and more 'blue screens' without a
consistent cause, so it seems that a clean install is called for. But,
as all updates have been done automatically, I have no CDs etc to
provide the updates, which must, by this time, amount to hundreds of
Mb.

Perusal of the Windows folder offers plenty of opportunities to
uninstall various updates, but I can't see any 'update' files or
folders.

Is there a way to save all the updates before formatting and
reinstalling Windows?

Tony.
2 answers Last reply
More about updates

    The BSOD's are often caused by unsigned and outdated drivers. Right click
    on Start>My Computer and select Manage. Expand the event viewer, choose
    System, and see what messages are related to the BSOD (they will have red
    X's). Right click on such messages and choose Properties. Follow any links
    that appear to identify the offending driver(s).

    Tony wrote:
    > I've had XP installed for about 2.5 years and have kept it up to date
    > with all patches and SP's.
    > Despite this, I am getting more and more 'blue screens' without a
    > consistent cause, so it seems that a clean install is called for. But,
    > as all updates have been done automatically, I have no CDs etc to
    > provide the updates, which must, by this time, amount to hundreds of
    > Mb.
    >
    > Perusal of the Windows folder offers plenty of opportunities to
    > uninstall various updates, but I can't see any 'update' files or
    > folders.
    >
    > Is there a way to save all the updates before formatting and
    > reinstalling Windows?
    >
    > Tony.
    You can contact Microsoft and they will provide a copy of SP2
    on CD for free or you can download it from their site. It includes
    all previous fixes. That said, it's usually not necessary to do
    a reformat and reinstall. What error messages are you getting
    when you get the BSOD?

    gls858

Clean Install Microsoft Windows XP