Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New computer what do you think?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 7, 2006 4:07:32 PM

Hi i was in the process of building a new computer for xmas wanted to know your guys opinion on the part combos



ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400PRO - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

LIAN LI PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I have yet to pick out a power supply and a video card but those are the main parts right there? Please leave me your comments or concerns. Thank YOU!!

More about : computer

December 7, 2006 4:31:14 PM

go for a core 2 duo proc. preferably a e6400. it'll outperform what you have now for about the same price and it overclocks extremely well. the harddrive is a bit small too. anything less than 160gb is a waste unless its a raptor. the ram and case are good though. also of note is not going cheap with the power supply.
December 7, 2006 5:26:23 PM

yea hard drive is small i was also looking into a 10000 rpm but not sure... but core 2 duo really better? any other comment appreciated! thanks!

Quote:
go for a core 2 duo proc. preferably a e6400. it'll outperform what you have now for about the same price and it overclocks extremely well. the harddrive is a bit small too. anything less than 160gb is a waste unless its a raptor. the ram and case are good though. also of note is not going cheap with the power supply.
Related resources
December 7, 2006 5:36:53 PM

a core 2 duo is really that much better. check out benchmarks from anandtech or tomshardware. it shouldnt be too hard to find. i think a e6400 outperforms an x2 5000. and the videoencoding is way superior. just better value. getting a raptor will definitely help responsiveness. it all depends on how much you can spend but definitely get a core2duo over a x2 whenever possible.
December 7, 2006 5:43:10 PM

yeah, C2D ftw! are you going to be oc-ing at all? if so, you should get an aftermarket hsf, the Tuniq Tower 120 and Scythe Infinity are two really good ones. That HDD is pretty small, and if your getting a C2D then you'll need a sata drive instead, 250gb drives are around $70.
December 7, 2006 6:05:34 PM

if you can afford to get the E6600 then go for it! great proc. as for the mobo you might want to get the Asus P5B Deluxe, great board, oc's pretty well, and mine should be here sometime today.
December 7, 2006 6:15:42 PM

Red = BAD
Green = GOOD
Blue = COOL GUY

Drop the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and the ASUS M2N-SLI and get a Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 and a Asus P5B Deluxe mobo, you'll be much much happier.

Best of luck
~3lfk1ng
December 7, 2006 6:43:40 PM

Quote:
Hi i was in the process of building a new computer for xmas wanted to know your guys opinion on the part combos



ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400PRO - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

LIAN LI PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

I have yet to pick out a power supply and a video card but those are the main parts right there? Please leave me your comments or concerns. Thank YOU!!


Really dont get an IDE hard drive. :idea:
You could even go for an e6400 and still out perform the x2 4600. But your choice if you prefer AMD. Dont get me wrong the 4600 is still fast but not as fast.

What will you be using this computer for??/

For a high end motherboard
EVGA 680i sli
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
December 7, 2006 7:01:44 PM

basically I have found out that currently the intel C2D is better but what about when AMD comes out with their new AM2 CPU batch... will it conquer intel again you think?'


And basically I will be using this computer for gaming... world of warcraft etc....

Quote:
Red = BAD
Green = GOOD
Blue = COOL GUY

Drop the Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and the ASUS M2N-SLI and get a Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 and a Asus P5B Deluxe mobo, you'll be much much happier.

Best of luck
~3lfk1ng
December 7, 2006 7:20:51 PM

Your are speaking of AMD and their 65nm process???
Basically it is the same architecture only smaller, so you will have more overclocking potential. It will more that likely use less power than existing 90nm processors. How much has yet to be determined as no one has any to test yet.
December 7, 2006 7:42:45 PM

Get intel at this point unless you are getting the mobo+CPU at half the price of a C2D E6300 (just the CPU) and budget is THAT tight (as in no money to spare?)
I think certain AMD configs can reach that price, but performance will be a bit questionable perhaps...

and then there is the 80GB IDE HDD's... are you buying it for your kids/school facility [if you do then the XMS2 RAMs... 8O]? some SATA drives are cheaper than IDE drive these days and unless you are getting raptors you may want a lower cost/GB (like those 250GB-400GB have like $0.3-$0.4 per GB) unless you need parental control or something (less space=less downloads for your kids?)
December 7, 2006 7:50:37 PM

The refresh for the AMD x2's will reduce the die to 65nm which will reduce the amount of power the processor consumes....which will reduce the heat...which will in turn allow for a slightly higher oc potential because the heat is reduced. Beyond that there will be absolutely no performance gain.

The Intel Core 2 Duo will be the best dual core processor for a long time.

Here is what I recommend you get.

-A different hdd that uses sata and will provide a lot more room and insanly fast speeds to match that insanly fast processor (The Intel core 2 duo e6300 or the e6400 or the one I recommend the e6600).
-Here is the best psu that will power your system for the best price
or step up to a 700watt for $24 more in case you want to have a little more "Future proofing"
-Here is a good graphics card that looks like it is well within your budgetfor the type of system your building or step up to the r580+ core and get a serious performance boost with this card (I just bought one for myself 2 weeks ago)
If you go with Nvidia...get and evga or xfx 7900+ series card.

I prefer these H.I.S. cards over any other videocards because they are factory overclocked, have a uv reactive shell, a blue led fan, they are silent and us independant heatsinks for the memory and the video card that are connected using a SINTERED(the best kind of heatpipe) heatpipe. The bundles are always nice too :) 

Best of luck
~3lfk1ng
December 7, 2006 7:54:03 PM

Quote:
yeah, C2D ftw! are you going to be oc-ing at all? if so, you should get an aftermarket hsf, the Tuniq Tower 120 and Scythe Infinity are two really good ones. That HDD is pretty small, and if your getting a C2D then you'll need a sata drive instead, 250gb drives are around $70.


Exactly, C2D FTW and 250GB or bigger drive.
!