RAM heat spreaders

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Some company just released a line of memory with waterblocks already built onto them... just add the pump, tubing and radiator... personally, I think that's going overboard.

If memory temps were keeping you from reaching your desired overclock AND you had good air flow, I guess I could see buying them.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
If you're trying for a clean look, they will nicely cover up the ugly RAM chips. You RAM will get warm to the touch under load, probably the spreaders won't make much of a difference unless you're overclocking.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Modules only start heating up considerably at DDR-800 and above, so if youre below that limit the case airflow can handle it.

PS.: Kickas$s bunny! A survivor from the good times!

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
As memory gets faster, heat becomes more of an issue because DRAM transistors generate heat when they switch: the faster they switch, the more heat is produced.

Heat becomes an issue because as transistors get warmer, they get slower, meaning that performance can be sometimes less-than-optimal if you've pushed a memory module too far with improper cooling.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Heat becomes an issue because as transistors get warmer, they get slower, meaning that performance can be sometimes less-than-optimal if you've pushed a memory module too far with improper cooling.

thats where the phase change comes in!

the heatspreaders look nice, and i guess they would help cool faster ram by a few °C.

Mondoman

Splendid
Almost all heat generated by the RAM goes through the metal traces on the DIMM. Remember, plastic chip bodies and fiberglass PC board material both don't conduct heat very well.

www_MyEmoticons_com__finger.gif

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
your ram modules can heat up with high ambient temps even at stock speeds.
its not a bad idea for heavy gaming.
it pays to be safe with any investment.

Dario&Ninja
thanks for the laughs :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can always count on you two .... to lighten the mood