Qx: How to detect webcam without a system reboot?

When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
indicator lite is on.
Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images, whenever
the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if the
webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I must
reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the webcam
software.

Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting? I
am running Win98SE.

TIA,
DanlK, FYI Services
www.FYIS.org
Visit our re-opened eBay store @ http://tinyurl.com/35wgv !

"FYIS.org/estore" <FYIS.org/estore@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
> indicator lite is on.
> Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images, whenever
> the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if the
> webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I must
> reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the webcam
> software.
>
> Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting? I
> am running Win98SE.

What make/model webcam?

usb ? webcam, maybe unplug and plug it back in
or maybe
Device Manager Refresh
Hopefully reboot the cam rather than the whole computer.

In news:Tm%8d.6058$cd1.1741@trnddc03,
bumtracks posted:
> "FYIS.org/estore" <FYIS.org/estore@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
>> indicator lite is on.
>> Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images,
whenever
>> the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if
>> the webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I
>> must reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the
>> webcam software.
>>
>> Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting?
>> am running Win98SE.
>

> What make/model webcam?
>
> usb ? webcam, maybe unplug and plug it back in
> or maybe
> Device Manager Refresh
> Hopefully reboot the cam rather than the whole computer.

Replug of camera did relight the indicator lite, but neither a refresh
of DM or reopen of any webcam software would detect the camera. I
don't recall the make/model of the webcam, it is a year old USB
inexpensive model branded under the GE label.

Looks like I'm resigned to rebooting the system.

Thanx,
DanlK, FYI Services
www.FYIS.org
Visit our re-opened eBay store @ http://tinyurl.com/35wgv !