Qx: How to detect webcam without a system reboot?

When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
indicator lite is on.
Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images, whenever
the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if the
webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I must
reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the webcam
software.

Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting? I
am running Win98SE.

TIA,
DanlK, FYI Services
www.FYIS.org
Visit our re-opened eBay store @ http://tinyurl.com/35wgv !
2 answers Last reply
More about detect webcam system reboot

    "FYIS.org/estore" <FYIS.org/estore@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
    > indicator lite is on.
    > Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images, whenever
    > the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if the
    > webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I must
    > reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the webcam
    > software.
    >
    > Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting? I
    > am running Win98SE.

    What make/model webcam?

    usb ? webcam, maybe unplug and plug it back in
    or maybe
    Device Manager Refresh
    Hopefully reboot the cam rather than the whole computer.

    In news:Tm%8d.6058$cd1.1741@trnddc03,
    bumtracks posted:
    > "FYIS.org/estore" <FYIS.org/estore@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> When I initially boot my system, my webcam is detected and the
    >> indicator lite is on.
    >> Regardless of what webcam software I use to capture images,
    whenever
    >> the software is closed, the webcam indicator lite goes out; and if
    >> the webcam software is restarted the webcam cannot be detected. I
    >> must reboot to have the system restart the webcam, then restart the
    >> webcam software.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to reinitialize/detect the webcam without rebooting?
    >> am running Win98SE.
    >

    > What make/model webcam?
    >
    > usb ? webcam, maybe unplug and plug it back in
    > or maybe
    > Device Manager Refresh
    > Hopefully reboot the cam rather than the whole computer.

    Replug of camera did relight the indicator lite, but neither a refresh
    of DM or reopen of any webcam software would detect the camera. I
    don't recall the make/model of the webcam, it is a year old USB
    inexpensive model branded under the GE label.

    Looks like I'm resigned to rebooting the system.

    Thanx,
    DanlK, FYI Services
    www.FYIS.org
    Visit our re-opened eBay store @ http://tinyurl.com/35wgv !