Replacing laptop screnn

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
How hard/expensive is it to replace a laptop LCD screen? My HP laptop screen just crapped out and I'm wanting to know if I should scrap it and buy a new computer or just try to replace the screen?

Thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Replacing a laptop screen will be some of the hardest work you have ever done... don't try it unless you have a whole weekend you want to dedicate to it... not to mention I don't even know who goes around selling laptop panels...

Replacing it will also be fairly expensive, it might run anywhere between 600-800 bucks...

So my guess would be to just scrap it and get a new one... but ask around for some estimates first...

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Replacing it is not that difficult if you can find a teardown guide for your model on the internet. Finding the screen would be real expensive from the manufacturer but perhaps a deal for a used one on ebay would be good - for example my friend has a Toshiba P20 with a dead mobo but the screen is fine, so someone with a dead screen & good mobo could buy the screen so that one of the laptops work.

Jo

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
These guys sell laptop relpacement parts, and tend to have much better prices than the manufacturer.

But depending on the laptop you are trying to fix it may be better just to get a new one.