Sign in with
Your question

Thinkin of pushing my OC'd 3700+ further. Recommended?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2006 5:57:59 PM

Okay so a couple of months ago I OC'd my Athlon 3700+ to 2420MHz (on air) and everything has been running smoothly without a hitch since then, so I am itchin to push it up a tiny bit further just to get the most out of it. Thing is I dont know a great deal about OCing so Id like your opinions on wether I can go any further or is it unsafe. Vcore is at default 1.48v. Most importantly my idle CPU temp is 32C. So how far do you think I can safely go? I was thinking even just up to 2.5GHz but if it can do more, great!

Current BIOS OC config - 220x11
December 7, 2006 6:19:16 PM

i have gotten my 3700 to 2630mhz with no vlt bump
and 4 512,s and 2t timmings

and got it to 2730mhz but with 2 512,s and 1t timmings

see how high you can go with no vlt mods then start going up with the vlts.

on your vlts probably shouldnt go over 1.5.
December 7, 2006 6:20:05 PM

Well I am sitting with my 3700 at

2642.8 which is 11x240.3(ish)
I pulled the HTlink back to 961Mhz (from 1000)

And run my memory at 220. I assume you are running your memory 1/1 with the cpu? try taking the memory down a notch or two, like me.

My CPU Idles at a chilly 18C with the OC which I think it amazing... since the motherboard idles at 23C lol

Don't start playing with voltages just yet... I think on stock you can push yours further than 2.4.

My memory was happy with 1:1 all the way to till... 230 I believe... but wasn't super stable in everything (BF2 to be specific) so I put a memory divider on. Instead of running your DDR at DDR400, try DDR333 or DDR266?

How many sticks of ram are you using? What brand? What are the timings?
Stock heatsink? Stock Thermalpaste? AS5?
Motherboard? Stepping of the cpu even? lol im teasing you with the last one there... i doubt you wrote that down before you put the HSF on. Download CPU-Z and get back to us on some of this information and we will try and help you push that a little higher.

Mine posted at 2.9Ghz on air, but that was just for laughs... my Asus A8V-MX is a horrible OC board, i only did it for shits and giggles.

Goodluck!
December 7, 2006 7:14:23 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Kind of you to help. So it seems like I am cabable of getting a bit more out of it then?

Quote:
How many sticks of ram are you using? What brand? What are the timings?
Stock heatsink? Stock Thermalpaste? AS5?
Motherboard? Stepping of the cpu even? lol im teasing you with the last one there... i doubt you wrote that down before you put the HSF on. Download CPU-Z and get back to us on some of this information and we will try and help you push that a little higher.

Okay well I'll try give the most info I can with my limited knowledge :D  I have 2 sticks of 1GB (2gb total) Corsair 3200 XMS memory. Timings are in sig. However this is the full config in BIOS: (from top) 3 8 3 3 11 14 5 3 (1t)

Yes im using stock heatsink/fan and paste.

Motherboard - Asus A8N - SLI Premium (cooling pipe version)

Hope that was enough info. So what can be done?
December 7, 2006 7:29:00 PM

well since the CPU has an integrated memory controller the speed of the memory isn't as important as the speed of the cpu...

so lets pull that ram back a bit... put up a divider at say... DDR333 and see how it likes that... slowly increase the fsb untill it isn't stable and then back it off.

Then perhaps try 266 and push the FSB up some more

and remember! LOCK THE AGP/PCI-E/PCI buses!!! this is very very important!
December 7, 2006 7:51:52 PM

Hmm sorry I really dont understand that :oops:  :lol:  Needs to be very basic for me... All I did in my previous OC was change the frequency and very basic memory changes like changing from 2t to 1t. Do you think I would be okay just going straight into raising the frequency. I know I could get higher results with the other processes like one you explained but I really dont feel comfortable altering anything that I may forget how to set back.... What if I just brought it up to 2.5GHz (fsb up to 228)? Just a simple raise of the frequency and no need for any other BIOS alterations?

Quote:
and remember! LOCK THE AGP/PCI-E/PCI buses!!! this is very very important!

Oh yeah and my mobo does that automatically so no need for that. Thank God! :) 
December 7, 2006 9:26:16 PM

Right im just gonna go ahead and try 230x11...
December 8, 2006 8:26:00 PM

^ Crashed... Listen can someone advise me on what to do! In simple terms. I understand I will probably have to adjust the memory speed and voltage but how?
December 8, 2006 9:22:46 PM

Alright, I see you have experienced your first overclocking crash. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, right?

Here are a few things to try:

1) Lower your HTT multiplier

The HTT bus is very sensitive to overclocking, so try your best to keep it around 1000mhz. All you have to do is lower the multiplier by one. Just make sure you don't lower your cpu multiplier, that would make your overclocking sort of useless.

2) Raise your Ram timings, use a memory divider, or increase memory voltage.

You could be hitting a overclocking wall because of your ram. If this is the case, try lowering your memory speed to ddr-333. You could also increase your ram timings or the voltage, but I recommend using a divider first.

3) Raise cpu voltage

If you do this, be very careful. Raising your cpu's voltage is the most dangerous part of overclocking. So try to avoid this and try the other steps first.

4) Can your power supply handle the overclock?

Many people overlook the fact that you need a good power supply to have a stable overclock.

Sorry, have to go. Feel free to ask more questions.
December 8, 2006 10:01:04 PM

Thanks for that info. I'll take some time and try it out.
December 8, 2006 10:12:15 PM

Quote:
1) Lower your HTT multiplier

The HTT bus is very sensitive to overclocking, so try your best to keep it around 1000mhz. All you have to do is lower the multiplier by one. Just make sure you don't lower your cpu multiplier, that would make your overclocking sort of useless.

I think I'd like to give this a go. Seems safest. One thing though I just noticed you have the same board as me so could you tell me where in the BIOS I will find this option. I know the CPU multiplier but I havnt a clue about the one your talking about and where I can access it. Could you explain?
December 8, 2006 10:43:59 PM

FYI, I currently have my 3700 set @ 275*11 (3025mhz). I had to reduce my ram to 2/3 since I am using crappy Kinston Valueram. It ran prime stable for 16 hours and I haven't had any issues with it in the 2 months its been at that. Not sure what cooler you are using, but I have a Zalman 7700cu (w/ arctic silver paste). I've bumped up my voltage 2 increments (not sure of the number), but it runs cool still, only a few degrees warmer than stock @ load.
December 8, 2006 11:10:20 PM

Wow gm0n3y im jealous! :(  I'd love to get that. Okay I would hide it I'd love to get 2.5GHz but mine cant even do that without a minor crash!! I know its mostly all to do with BIOS settings but I just cant grasp it!! By the way i am not using a good cooler. Im using stock although as I said before my temps are not a problem.

Quote:
Im running my sempron64 at 2.41 with no voltage core adjustments. You should be able to do better.

I wish...
December 8, 2006 11:13:45 PM

Quote:
Okay so a couple of months ago I OC'd my Athlon 3700+ to 2420MHz (on air) and everything has been running smoothly without a hitch since then, so I am itchin to push it up a tiny bit further just to get the most out of it. Thing is I dont know a great deal about OCing so Id like your opinions on wether I can go any further or is it unsafe. Vcore is at default 1.48v. Most importantly my idle CPU temp is 32C. So how far do you think I can safely go? I was thinking even just up to 2.5GHz but if it can do more, great!

Current BIOS OC config - 220x11

If you could pick up the deluxe version of that mobo (A8N32SLI-Deluxe), you can hit 3ghz on air on stock vcore, I say this all the time and stand by it that the 3700 in my opnion is probably amd's best chip made, because of the performance and oc ability it has considering it is not an fx module (and how cheap it is)
Its mainly just due to the fact that I dont know what do and no matter how many ppl try to explain it im just not getting it. Id like to get 3GHz but I would honestly be happy with even 2.6GHz, although right now I just want to get 2.5...
December 8, 2006 11:22:38 PM

well i own a amd 3400+, which have runing at 2.7 ghz right now, what i suggest doing is lowering the speed of the memory so it runs at ddr333 speeds, look in the bios and under memory settings see if you can set the memory to 166mhz, and then raise the fsb until your computer becomes unstable then back it off a lil, this elimates the chance the the memory being the problem of the over clock because it would run at a lower clock that usal. heres what i mean, in normal settings the memory and fsb both run at 200mhz, but if i set the memory to 166mhz and the fsb to 250, i get a memory of 200 and a FSB of 250, i get a core clock of 2700
December 8, 2006 11:26:55 PM

In your bios, go to the Advanced Tab -> CPU Configuration -> Hyper Transport Frequency.

It is set to auto by default, lower it to 4. That should allow you to overclock higher. Otherwise, you will have a HTT running at 1125mhz(~225x5), way over the safe limit. Keep in mind though, your ram could be holding your overclock back, not the HTT. Generally speaking, anything above 2.8ghz with a 3700+ is water cooling territory. Though some people have luck and get higher on air.

I would overclock my own processor, but I value stability above all else. Not to mention this system is for college. Maybe when I feel reckless one day.....
December 8, 2006 11:48:35 PM

in your bios go to

jumperfree configuration set AI overclocking to manual
then go from 220 to say 225mhz and so on as you like

for your cpu/memory ratio

go to cpu configuration
memory settings set memory clock mode to limit
then memory clock value from 200mhz down to the next lower
setting 180 or 166.
December 9, 2006 12:06:17 AM

Wow alot of info from you guys! This is really making things understandable. I'll have another try at it.

Quote:
Ok, I will make this as simple as possible

You have already oc it some, right now you know how to get into the correct bios sections and everything right?

Yeah Im fine at finding the sections. Its just the configurations I usually have difficulty grasping.
December 9, 2006 12:16:24 AM

Quote:
In your bios, go to the Advanced Tab -> CPU Configuration -> Hyper Transport Frequency.

It is set to auto by default, lower it to 4. That should allow you to overclock higher. Otherwise, you will have a HTT running at 1125mhz(~225x5), way over the safe limit. Keep in mind though, your ram could be holding your overclock back, not the HTT. Generally speaking, anything above 2.8ghz with a 3700+ is water cooling territory. Though some people have luck and get higher on air.

I would overclock my own processor, but I value stability above all else. Not to mention this system is for college. Maybe when I feel reckless one day.....

Okay well I tried what you said and I crashed again. I was hoping that would work as it was the simplest... Maybe its the memory?
December 9, 2006 12:32:43 AM

do you have cpu-z?

if so check the timings in it and the htt and everything else.

and when you go into the bios dont change a lot of settings at once
just one at a time.

this is my x2 dual core but is the same as a singlecore prettymuch.

the mem timings say 180 something but in the bios my timmings
are at 166mhz.
December 9, 2006 12:35:46 AM

I have a Venice 3200+

and im sitting at 2.9 @ 1.52 volts

i could run it at 3 but my ram cant handle more then 210 mhz. so i leave it here.

ive got a Blue orb 2 so my temps are decent.

gl on getting it higher
December 9, 2006 1:04:21 AM

Quote:
do you have cpu-z?

just one at a time.

are at 166mhz.

Right heres the main info from CPU-Z

Clocks:
Core speed - 2420MHz
Multiplier - x11
Bus speed - 220.0MHz
HT Link - 1100.0MHz

Memory
Frequency - 220.0MHz
FSB DRAM - CPU 11
CAS Latency - 3.0 clocks
RAS to CAS delay - 3 clocks
RAS Precharge - 3 clocks
Cycle Time - 8 clocks
Bank cycle time - 11 clocks
Command Rate - 1t
DRAM icle timer - 16 clocks

Thought it might be better if I just gave you the exact details. So what exactly do you say I should change? Memory to 166MHz? Then increase the CPU frequency to 230 (i want 2.5 for now)?
December 9, 2006 1:14:07 AM

In your bios, increase the command rate to 2t, that should give you a little more overclocking headroom. Since the rest of your ram timings are relatively relaxed, if you hit any more overclocking problems, set the RAM frequency to DDR-333(~166). That should allow you to go higher.

2.5 for a Sandy seems pretty low, you can push it farther. Just be ready for a little frustration. Once it seems stable, Prime95 it for an hour or two. If any errors come up, your overclock is not stable, and back off a little.

You may just have to increase cpu voltage at this point, but try the other steps first.
December 9, 2006 1:14:50 AM

Quote:
do you have cpu-z?

just one at a time.

are at 166mhz.

Clocks:
Core speed - 2420MHz
Multiplier - x11
Bus speed - 220.0MHz
HT Link - 1100.0MHz TRY TO GET THIS DOWN

Memory
Frequency - 220.0MHz AND THIS AT OR BELOW 200MHZ
FSB DRAM - CPU 11
CAS Latency - 3.0 clocks
RAS Precharge - 3 clocks
Cycle Time - 8 clocks
Command Rate - 1t

Thought it might be better if I just gave you the exact details. So what exactly do you say I should change? Memory to 166MHz? Then increase the CPU frequency to 230 (i want 2.5 for now)?

yes set your memory in the bios to the next lower setting
184 or 166mhz. and your htt to x4 instead of x5.
December 9, 2006 1:18:13 AM

Quote:
In your bios, increase the command rate to 2t,

that always hinders me, i can go higher with 1t timmings.
December 9, 2006 1:19:37 AM

Quote:
do you have cpu-z?

just one at a time.

are at 166mhz.

Clocks:
Core speed - 2420MHz
Multiplier - x11
Bus speed - 220.0MHz
HT Link - 1100.0MHz TRY TO GET THIS DOWN

Memory
Frequency - 220.0MHz AND THIS AT OR BELOW 200MHZ
FSB DRAM - CPU 11
CAS Latency - 3.0 clocks
RAS Precharge - 3 clocks
Cycle Time - 8 clocks
Command Rate - 1t

yes set your memory in the bios to the next lower setting
184 or 166mhz. and your htt to x4 instead of x5.
Okay thanks I'll have a go at it tomorrow, right now I gotta get some sleep. That should work though right?
December 9, 2006 1:23:50 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks I'll have a go at it tomorrow, right now I gotta get some sleep. That should work though right?

it should but after you set those in the bios keep it at 2.4
then check that your timming in cpu-z

is htt is below 1100 and your memory is under 200mhz

then raise the fsb a little higher to say 225 or 230 max
dont go more than 10mgz at a time.
December 9, 2006 1:30:21 AM

Alright got it :)  Thanks.
December 9, 2006 1:41:48 AM

cool man goodnight and if any more questions
ill try to help tommorow.
December 9, 2006 5:28:41 AM

I got the same 3700 san diego core and I cant get it past 230 FSB.

I have MSI K8N Neo4-F mobo
Crusial Ballistix 1GB (512 x 2)
After 2.50 Ghz I get the BSOD or its not stable
Any tips on how to push this to the max would be great.

I also have a 430psu by thermaltake http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I was thinking of getting a new mobo. I want to push it to its limits on air.

*UPDATE*
I lowered the ram speed from 200fsb to 166fsb, I also lowered the HTmultiplier Link from 5x to 4x. I have my Crusial Ballistix at 2.8volts, and FSB speed at 240
Here are some bench marks and cpu z pics

The bench marks are for 2.60ghz, 2.62ghz, and 2.64ghz
This cpu has a lil more juice, and its HOLDING IT DOWN at 2.64Ghz! :p 
December 9, 2006 11:33:01 AM

Right im now trying to set the RAM speed and im a bit confused with the setting in the BIOS (memclock index value). Okay default appears to be 400MHz. When I select it to change I dont the 184 or 166MHz option. The only next lowest option is 333MHz... Do I change to that? Thats ddr333 right? Also my Vcore seems unusually high compared to what most of you guys have. Its at default 1.48V :?

(UPDATE): Alright guys I got a successful OC to 2.5GHz! (2531mhz) Sirhek, followed just what you said and everythings going fine, got a 35 overall score increase in 3dmrk06 and running stable (for now).

Using CPU-Z here are the new values just to make sure everythings safe:

Tech Volt: 1.488(vcore)
Clocks
Core speed - 2531MHz
Mulit - x11
Bus speed - 230.1MHz
HT Link - 920.5MHz

Memory timings - (new) Frequency - 180.8MHz, FSB:D RAM - CPU/14
rest of timings the same.

So what do you think? Everything seem a okay? Plz let me know if isnt.
December 9, 2006 2:32:59 PM

everything looks great, and it should work ok keep an eye on temps

if you want to go higher say 2.6 all you need is 237x11

goodluck and glad i could help.
December 9, 2006 2:58:34 PM

Quote:
everything looks great, and it should work ok keep an eye on temps

if you want to go higher say 2.6 all you need is 237x11

goodluck and glad i could help.

Great! Im gonna stick with 2.5 for now but will probably boost it up to 2.6GHz when I really need the extra speed. Also I think I might get a good cooler soon so I'll probly do it then. Maybe 2.7. Thanks once again for all your help! I appreciate your patience :) 
December 9, 2006 4:02:57 PM

Just one more thing. For some reason my CPU (and mobo) temp is exactly the same (if not a little cooler) as before I did the 1gb OC! Dont know how thats possible but my CPU is idling at 29C! 30C Highest! :? Do you think this is odd? Will I try OCing some more? :)  Remember I do only have the stock cooler so what do you think?

Sorry about this. You've helped me loads already. Last thing I promise :) 
December 9, 2006 4:10:49 PM

my 3700 is currently in a msi mobo and oc,ed to 2.4
it has the stock hsf and very little or i should say not enough
thermalpaste and idles at 29c and loads at around 35c

when i took it out of my asus mobo it had the acfreezer pro
hsf which covers about 80% of the cpu, the stock hsf covers
all of the cpu.

all i did was put the 3700 in the msi mobo and slapped the stock hsf on it.
didnt clean $hit or add any more paste.

and the asus currently has a x2 4400 which all i did was slap the
acfreezer pro on it didnt add any paste or clean anything either.
it is oc,ed to 2.6 and idles at 37 to 39c.

your temps are fine.
December 9, 2006 4:36:16 PM

Quote:
my 3700 is currently in a msi mobo and oc,ed to 2.4
it has the stock hsf and very little or i should say not enough
thermalpaste and idles at 29c and loads at around 35c

when i took it out of my asus mobo it had the acfreezer pro
hsf which covers about 80% of the cpu, the stock hsf covers
all of the cpu.

all i did was put the 3700 in the msi mobo and slapped the stock hsf on it.
didnt clean $hit or add any more paste.

and the asus currently has a x2 4400 which all i did was slap the
acfreezer pro on it didnt add any paste or clean anything either.
it is oc,ed to 2.6 and idles at 37 to 39c.

your temps are fine.

Cool I think I might try 2.6GHz now then :)  I was wondering isnt my RAM slower now though? I mean I did reduce its speed. Just curious.
December 9, 2006 4:50:50 PM

yes it is at 180 if you go for 2.6 it might be at 192 or close to 200mhz.
if you oc to 2.6 go to cpu-z and it should be somewere close to that.
December 9, 2006 5:26:48 PM

Quote:
yes it is at 180 if you go for 2.6 it might be at 192 or close to 200mhz.
if you oc to 2.6 go to cpu-z and it should be somewere close to that.

Oh I see, so as I OC higher the memory will gradually get back to its normal speed. Makes sense. I have a new goal now :twisted: :lol: 
December 12, 2006 7:51:22 AM

I was bored and I decided to push my 3700 a lil more, like 300mhz more :twisted:
Here are my results

I got 2.9 and its holding it down pretty good. 8) on air.
I <3 my 3700

*Update*

I pushed til the whole system crashed! :twisted:
I got to 2.99with a lil more juice. I raised the vcore by 6.6% and its running smooth.

December 12, 2006 3:24:33 PM

Wow well done! Wish I had the guts to do that. 2.9!!? 8O

Why is my vcore so high at stock while yours, which you've raised, is still way lower?? Mine is and has always been 1.48 at default!! Is this a problem do you think? Why is it so high? :( 
December 12, 2006 5:00:11 PM

That is about the limit I found with my 3700 as well. Although, by lowering the memory quite a bit I was able to get up to around 3.07. The heat at that level still wasn't that bad (I don't think I had to raise my volts more than 2 steps up in the bios), it just wouldn't go any higher (and I didn't want to push the volts up anymore).
December 13, 2006 1:06:33 AM

nice guide.
December 13, 2006 3:22:29 AM

Thanks. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Just a good starting point so the reader can move on and understand what everyone is telling him.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 13, 2006 4:07:50 AM

Ive been reading this thread and theres some really good info here. Just wondering, is the DFI infinity nforce4 SLI a good board for OCing? I'm thinking of getting it for my 3700 since I can get it pretty cheap here. Not trying to hijack or anything tho.
December 13, 2006 12:59:57 PM

merc14, thanks for that guide! I've read through and its really clear and easy to understand. I've learned so much more from reading that! I am going to refer to it every time I OC. Thanks for posting it up.
December 15, 2006 1:59:33 PM

Quote:
Wow well done! Wish I had the guts to do that. 2.9!!? 8O

Why is my vcore so high at stock while yours, which you've raised, is still way lower?? Mine is and has always been 1.48 at default!! Is this a problem do you think? Why is it so high? :( 

:(  1.48 vcore? I had my x2 running @ 1.23 until I oc it, then @ 1.39 right now and I have mine @ 3ghz (x2 4000, pretty nice oc if I do say so myself)

Sounds strange, but try a new thermal grease, don't know why, but that got my vcore lower then the ee x2 modles
Okay im gettin a bit worried now... Is there any real danger in my voltage at 1.48? Whats the disadvantage of having a high CPU voltage (vcore)?

I will be getting a new CPU cooler next week and I will aslo be applying Arctic Silver 5 onto it. Maybe I understood wrong but are you saying that my vcore will auto change when I cool down the CPU more? Also looking at the vcore reading in CPU-Z it constantly fluctuates down to .47 briefly then back to .48... Is that normal?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 11:17:26 PM

Higher voltage increases signal strength and therefore stability. However, the downside is that it produces more heat and also degrades the circuits faster than at a lower voltage. This means a shorter lifetime for the components. The reverse is also true in that if you lower voltage below its default, you will likely increase lifespan and lower heat substantially. Now if you intend to keep to keep your pc for say 10 years, decreasing lifetime becomes a problem as it may not last that long at a high vcore. But most people in this forum anyway upgrade at least every 4-5 years, and unless your pushing 1.65-1.7V, it should still last that long. No guarantees tho since you are still running out of spec and every component reacts differently to more voltage. Which is why you are running yours at 1.48V and I_Love_Tacos can run his at 1.39V at 3GHz. The average cpu is designed to last 10 years approx. at STOCK voltage, and manufacturers make it quite clear that voltage increases decrease lifespan. So that is why it voids your warranty, manufacturers dont want people to keep returning dead components that have been OCed to the extreme with huge voltages.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 15, 2006 11:20:51 PM

Quote:
I will be getting a new CPU cooler next week and I will aslo be applying Arctic Silver 5 onto it. Maybe I understood wrong but are you saying that my vcore will auto change when I cool down the CPU more? Also looking at the vcore reading in CPU-Z it constantly fluctuates down to .47 briefly then back to .48... Is that normal?

Got a bit carried away with lifetimes and forgot this part. :oops:  No, vcore wont auto change when you cool the cpu more, BUT... it may allow you to drop the voltage a bit as it may be more stable with a lower temp. May be, ok, not definitely. The fluctuation is normal and is well within safe limits, and the readings are never perfectly accurate anyway.
December 16, 2006 4:17:51 PM

Okay thanks for the help. I might try reducing the vcore a bit when I get my new Zalman installed. Not too bothered about it now though cause I dont intend to keep using my 3700 for 10 years lol! I will be getting a whole new Core 2 Duo system next May, I assume it will last till then!
!