Streaming a webcam on a webpage

We have a Axis 205 webcam.

We can view the image from this webcam through its own webpage - ActiveX or
java-applet, or we can use Axis' own software to view the image/video.

What we need is some way to be able to view this image/video through a
webpage on a webserver on the internet. But we haven't found a way to do
this other than capturing the image (screen capture) with Windows Media
Encoder and streaming it from there to the internet.

We do not want everyone to stream directly from the webcam, but instead have
them visit a webpage on an external server that in turn streams the video
from our webcam.

Any solutions for this out there?

--
________________________
Rolf Barbakken @ Questus ans

    "Rolf Barbakken" <notnoisy@alexandria.cc> wrote in message
    > We have a Axis 205 webcam.
    >
    > We can view the image from this webcam through its own webpage - ActiveX
    or
    > java-applet, or we can use Axis' own software to view the image/video.
    >
    > What we need is some way to be able to view this image/video through a
    > webpage on a webserver on the internet. But we haven't found a way to do
    > this other than capturing the image (screen capture) with Windows Media
    > Encoder and streaming it from there to the internet.
    >
    > We do not want everyone to stream directly from the webcam, but instead
    have
    > them visit a webpage on an external server that in turn streams the video
    > from our webcam.
    >
    > Any solutions for this out there?
    >
    > --
    > ________________________
    > Rolf Barbakken @ Questus ans
    > Teknisk ansvarlig
    > Web: http://www.questus.no

    Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?

    "bumtracks" <justaposter@usenet.bud> wrote in message

    > Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    > that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?

    That would not solve it. We want only one stream out of the house to the
    internet - the stream to the other webserver. There many people may access
    it. We don't want many people accessing our webcam directly.

    One solution could be setting up Windows Media Encoder to stream the video
    to a media server on the webserver which in turn serves the visitors to that
    webserver, but this means having a user logged on at all times to capture
    the video.

    The stream is encoded as a mjpeg-stream. Like
    http://webcamaddress/mjpg/video.mjpg

    --
    Rolf @ Questus ans
    "There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

    snip

    >Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    >that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?

    Hi,

    Can you expand on that or give a pointer to examples of web site
    config to do this?

    I have web cam that only slows down to about 3 frames per sec.

    I would like to serve 1 frame every 10 seconds or so.

    I want to slow it down to limit data band width.

    The camera I have (Toshiba IK-WB11A) does not have very good FTP
    options and uses bandwith even if no one is accessing the page.

    Thanks

    <Gordo> wrote in message news:3gncm0l74hcfqbfm4fajqcvk6sr56al8vo@4ax.com...
    > snip
    > >
    > >Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    > >that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can you expand on that or give a pointer to examples of web site
    > config to do this?
    >
    > I have web cam that only slows down to about 3 frames per sec.
    >
    > I would like to serve 1 frame every 10 seconds or so.
    >
    > I want to slow it down to limit data band width.
    >
    > The camera I have (Toshiba IK-WB11A) does not have very good FTP
    > options and uses bandwith even if no one is accessing the page.

    I personally don't have that cam but
    If it can save or display a current single image file (imagename.jpg)
    you most probably can use the URL path to imagename.jpg embedded as a
    single web page graphic so when someone loads the webpage they see the
    current view. Then by simply adding a short JavaScript image pull timer
    you can refresh that image on the webpage every 10 seconds quite easily .
    and a short JavaScript to pull that image from the cam
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Thanks,

    That extra info helps a lot. I know I can capture a single shot and I
    will do some digging around on that JavaScript timer.

    Cheers

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:58:32 GMT, "bumtracks" <justaposter@usenet.bud>
    wrote:

    ><Gordo> wrote in message news:3gncm0l74hcfqbfm4fajqcvk6sr56al8vo@4ax.com...
    >> snip
    >> >
    >> >Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    >> >that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?
    >> >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can you expand on that or give a pointer to examples of web site
    >> config to do this?
    >>
    >> I have web cam that only slows down to about 3 frames per sec.
    >>
    >> I would like to serve 1 frame every 10 seconds or so.
    >>
    >> I want to slow it down to limit data band width.
    >>
    >> The camera I have (Toshiba IK-WB11A) does not have very good FTP
    >> options and uses bandwith even if no one is accessing the page.
    >>

    >I personally don't have that cam but
    >If it can save or display a current single image file (imagename.jpg)
    >you most probably can use the URL path to imagename.jpg embedded as a
    >single web page graphic so when someone loads the webpage they see the
    >current view. Then by simply adding a short JavaScript image pull timer
    >you can refresh that image on the webpage every 10 seconds quite easily .
    >and a short JavaScript to pull that image from the cam

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    <Gordo> wrote in message news:3gncm0l74hcfqbfm4fajqcvk6sr56al8vo@4ax.com...
    > snip
    > >
    > >Have you tried simply viewing source on the java streaming page and using
    > >that code on your webserver with probably minor path changes ?
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can you expand on that or give a pointer to examples of web site
    > config to do this?
    >
    > I have web cam that only slows down to about 3 frames per sec.
    >
    > I would like to serve 1 frame every 10 seconds or so.
    >
    > I want to slow it down to limit data band width.
    >
    > The camera I have (Toshiba IK-WB11A) does not have very good FTP
    > options and uses bandwith even if no one is accessing the page.
    >
    > Thanks

    Gordo,

    I'm almost ready to shell out for one of these. How do you like it? Any
    serious faults? Everything I read says the picture quality is superior.
    I've read the manuals they have online and it sounds like it has a lot of
    capability. Could you do a small review? I'd hate to shell out over $500
    and be disappointed.

    Many thanks!

Webcams Streaming Peripherals