Ok, this is getting really old @ Tom's

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am starting to tire of visiting Tom's Hardware, due to the overlay advertisement interrupting looking over content.

The other, more annoying reason, is because visiting Tom's will almost always cause my browser to freeze, and crash or disable flash - which usually ends up with needing to restart the browser anyway. That and the 4 or 5 flash object warnings that sometimes get hidden behind the browser window, which will make the browser unresponsive until i find it and hit ok.

Anyways, with these problems in mind i have been visiting Tom's less and less even though i love the tech/ hardware coverage and being able to help out in the community.

I might try and find another site to replace Tom's - I don't want to but its getting really annoying.

I welcome your respectful feedback and maybe a solution to the flash issues (i don't ant to disable flash in my browser because of other websites over reliance on flash - which don't throw errors)

Thanks community.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you for some responses. Unfortunately i still suffer from flash crashing sometimes before the bottom half of the site finishes loading (which in turn messes up my other tabs.

Chrome + Latest Flash
Various Plugins (tried disabling everything except Flash)

I get those "detected possible bad flash object" - or something like that
where it prompts to hit ok or settings...

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010

There is way too much advertising. Full sceen ads, flash, etc. it's affecting the site quality and user experience.

Perhaps a less advertising for registered users?

Too many ads? No. How many times do you have to tell people to use Firefox with Adblock? Maybe your caps lock key needs some attention to make people notice.
Then again, screaming at idiots may not cause them to understand.

How did that go again??? "Stupid is as stupid does" I forget.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Again, thanks for the replies.

I think my love affair with chrome is lessening to a smolder, as i find here and there incompatibilities and issues (especially with web development) that impede its mainstream usability and compatibility.

I started using chrome because when i started school, 2 years ago, i would wake up in the morning and load up a browser to my news sites and my outlook inbox.

Firefox took forever to load, and chrome met my fancy for being a bright and cheery morning person, such as i. Chrome's come a long way, but i might start having FF installed again in addition to Chrome.

In addition, it think about a year and a half or so ago, Tom's was not this bad. I felt as though i was getting informative information (lol - just realized how stupid that sounded, but it makes sense if you think about it because there is a lot of info they put up that is just garbage, or really just advertising) about computers and tech. But now (as with other sites i visit) it seems like every other article is about one of the million new tablet/ smartphone crap.

But now i feel as though i don't get enough of what i would like (benchmarks, experiments, upgrade ideas, builds and gaming info).

Do you guys have any suggestions of websites you visit in addition to Tom's to get your fill?

I visit Tom's, Maximum PC and sourced sites sited from articles.

Please, don't even think I replied at you. You are obviously not an idiot, but they do appear in too many places elsewhere in these forums. I have seen this complaint many, many times in threads all over the place.

Chrome... Yes, came out with a bang, but now the party's over. [:tigsounds:3]

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
So you think is OK that you need a third-party plug-in to visualize a website??? Sorry but calling idiot to the people that refuse to install this kind of stuff just to be able to surf the web normally makes me doubt about your common sense.

This is a great site but this things end up affecting it. And if you see this very same complaint from different people it may have a reason...

Let's see how well you do blocking HTML5 ad's

randomizer

Champion
The more people that use ad blockers the more pervasive the ads will need to become. Ad impressions/clicks need to be maintained so if there are less people then there need to be more ads. It's a viscous cycle.

jeffchele

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
The prom here is not that we should be using Adblock or a certain browser, it's these stupid sites and them selling out to the marketers. We should be able to view content first and foremost as that is why we come to the site. If we can't find the content we will go elsewhere, a warning...

The common passer-by is going to get adds. It's the ads that pay for these sites. Advertising sells products. It is only through awareness that people buy anything. The one's that come here a lot, or stay, are one's that will deal with keeping the ads from appearing. If someone frequents this site often yet does nothing to hide/block the ads, it's on them. The site will not customize for them, they need to customize for themselves.

To surf the web 'normally' is to see everything that is programmed to appear at all sites.
3rd party plugins are needed, that's part of surfing the web 'normally' such as needing the Adobe Flash plugin to see that content. Other 3rd party plugins can prevent you from seeing things you don't want to see. It's your computer, set it up to do what you want it to do, or not do.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Personally, i don't entirely mind seeing ads here or there, but its too much here, and many of them are intrusive audio or flash video ads that keep crashing my Chrome (9.0.597...)

I moved to firefox last night and was able to find all the extensions that are variants of the ones i have for Chrome except an extension sync... which is kind of important to me...

But anyway, i have been using firefox and its nice (with the stratos/aero enabler/no menu - the default look, just seems old now because of chromes look and layout)
Tom's doesn't crash on FF and Flash doesn't give me localized content protection errors...
Once a sync program pops up (or its integrated into FF) that syncs everything, then i'll make a full switch back to FF

[Just found one that is in beta...]

I also don't mind having a 3rd party plugin that changes the way i see the web - viewing it the way it is intended is great for everything, but obnoxious websites. One of the plugins i usually get for browsers is iGoogle tab remover (i use igoogle for very little, but still use it for notes and the weather) because i don't like the awkward grid that the tabs force.

But i won't install an ad blocker because i believe in supporting the sites that i visit regularly.

Did you guys have suggestions of sites you use to supplement/ compliment Tom's?

Seeing the ads won't help the sites. It's when you click on the ads and/or make a purchase from that click that pays the site.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Right, i see what you mean - you would'nt be clicking on them anyway in that case.
You've swayed me. lol

But i still don't have the need for it, except for here...

However... I do occasionally disable adblockplus, reload the homepage here and spend an hour just clicking the living crap out of the ads, browse the sites for a bit and leave.... on to the next ad. When I'm done I delete all the new cookies I received so I look like a new contact next time I do this. This is all to do my part in paying for the bandwidth I use here at Tom's. :D

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
To use this site, I use firefox 4 beta with noscript (exceptions for the site itself) and addblock plus. However, I have been thinking about how I'm not supporting the site financially this way. I think what I'll try to do is to build a custom add filter for this site in addblock, and allow only the adds which I don't mind seeing. I don't know if this will work, or how hard it will be, but if possible I will do it. I'm never going to click on the super annoying adds anyhow, so it would be wasting both my bandwidth and theirs to show them.

What?? you mean my system has bug? Say it ain't so... I have 4 RAIDs running, how could it survive?

TRENDING THREADS