• yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • no

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
SUP, i just got a new hard drive; Hitachi's Deskstar 80gb SATA 300 hard drive. i put it as my master and my other hard drive which is a 250Gb Seagate SATA 300 hard drive as my slave. i install my base version of Xp pro and install all updates and service packs. i connect my 250Gb hard drive as my slave and it only recognizes only 127Gb!!! what is going on? Pleas HELP!!

P.S. i installed Partition Magic 8.03 to see if i can format the hard drive but it can't, and it reads the format as BAD.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
See this thread (http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=202761&highlight=xp+127gb)

48-bit LBA must be enabled in the bios + XP must be at least SP1.

Jo

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
There was some rumor about early versions of XP not formatting anything larger than 136gig, don't know why partition magic is acting up. I thought SATA drives had no "master"/"slave" jumpers, the only jumpers I have seen on SATA drives deal with SATA150 compatibility.

sailer

Splendid
There was some rumor about early versions of XP not formatting anything larger than 136gig, don't know why partition magic is acting up. I thought SATA drives had no "master"/"slave" jumpers, the only jumpers I have seen on SATA drives deal with SATA150 compatibility.

I've read that about the early version XP also. The reason given was that when XP was first released, hard drives were a lot smaller, with big ones being in the 80-100gb range. SP1 was supposed to take care of that, and SP2 was suppsoed to fix what SP1 messed up.

A different part of the OP's problem, unless I'm misunderstanding what he did, might be that he now has two hard drives with an operating system installed and the computer doesn't know which to use, so it is defaulting to an earlier programing that doesn't recognize over the 136 gig. Can't say for sure, only an idea that pops to mind.

OF course, if I misunderstood what was done, then my idea is wrong as well.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
yes, i fount the problem, i had to update my registry to 48bit LBA. i would have thought that SP2 would have done that but i guess it doesn't. heres the link for anyone with my problem : http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html, click on the Reg48bitLBA to download the registry updater.

thanks for the help l8er :)