Best Webcam For Video Sessions with Parents...Recommendati..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

Hi All:

I've just bought my parents (ages: 70/65) a computer and (surprisingly) they
have taken to it quite quickly. (It wasn't easy getting them to buy into it
though.) We live on opposite sides on the country and I want to set up the
ability to have video sessions with them. I already have gotten them up to
speed with e-mail and MSN chat. Now it's time to up the ante.

I currently have a Quickcam Cordless, but I have to get something else for
myself. First, it runs on a 2.4 GHz spectrum and it gets interference from
my 2.4 GHz phone on all 4 channels. Plus, I'm not a fan of the fact it shuts
itself off every 10 minutes to save the 9V battery. I also may want to use
it to view what's happening in my home when I'm not there, so it needs to be
able to be turned on when I log into my computer remotely.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice webcam for myself and my
parents that I'll buy and install when I visit them in two weeks. The price
is not really an obstacle; if it provides a quality video session with MSN
Messenger, it's worth the price to me. But I notice most consumer webcams
seem to be less than $200.

I haven't been able to find any good web sites with good webcam reviews. So,
if anyone has a web site with good webcam reviews, please advise.

I really don't know about all the features I'm reading about and how
important they are to a quality video session, e.g.,

* face tracking
* pan/tilt/zoom
* microphone
* USB 2.0

Any advice/comments on these features (or ones not mentioned) would be
appreciated.

Also, not sure if I'm going to need headsets to make the most of these video
sessions instead of using built-in microphones. Don't you get feedback from
the speakers with these?

My parents and I both have broadband internet service and fast machines (P4s
and lots of memory).

Thanks for being patient with this long post. Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

I'd go to the "PC Magazine" and/or "Computer Shopper" web site and look for
any reviews of web cameras. I'm using ones from Creative and the picture is
satisfactory. Do Not expect TV or movie quality. And the cameras are
accessed from MSN or Windows Messenger.

"Sid Joyner" <sid_joyner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> I've just bought my parents (ages: 70/65) a computer and (surprisingly)
> they have taken to it quite quickly. (It wasn't easy getting them to buy
> into it though.) We live on opposite sides on the country and I want to
> set up the ability to have video sessions with them. I already have gotten
> them up to speed with e-mail and MSN chat. Now it's time to up the ante.
>
> I currently have a Quickcam Cordless, but I have to get something else for
> myself. First, it runs on a 2.4 GHz spectrum and it gets interference from
> my 2.4 GHz phone on all 4 channels. Plus, I'm not a fan of the fact it
> shuts itself off every 10 minutes to save the 9V battery. I also may want
> to use it to view what's happening in my home when I'm not there, so it
> needs to be able to be turned on when I log into my computer remotely.
>
> So, I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice webcam for myself and my
> parents that I'll buy and install when I visit them in two weeks. The
> price is not really an obstacle; if it provides a quality video session
> with MSN Messenger, it's worth the price to me. But I notice most consumer
> webcams seem to be less than $200.
>
> I haven't been able to find any good web sites with good webcam reviews.
> So, if anyone has a web site with good webcam reviews, please advise.
>
> I really don't know about all the features I'm reading about and how
> important they are to a quality video session, e.g.,
>
> * face tracking
> * pan/tilt/zoom
> * microphone
> * USB 2.0
>
> Any advice/comments on these features (or ones not mentioned) would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, not sure if I'm going to need headsets to make the most of these
> video sessions instead of using built-in microphones. Don't you get
> feedback from the speakers with these?
>
> My parents and I both have broadband internet service and fast machines
> (P4s and lots of memory).
>
> Thanks for being patient with this long post. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

Really can't go wrong with the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000,, even find them
on a two fer one deal at dell sometimes or ebay too.
most people dont use the face tracking,, gimmick/pia
the Quickcam Orbit pan/tilt/pia leave a lot to be desired and actually makes
aiming it static difficult - it wants to park looking into the yonder.

Cant beat a Headset with boom/fixed position mic so its always right there
no matter which way the heads turn while speaking.

If you wanna spend a bit more set your parents up with one of dlinks new ccd
network cams with the two way voice(add a powered speaker) - then you can
holler -- mom don't do that
and hear her curse with no computer on her end necessary.

"Sid Joyner" <sid_joyner@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi All:
>
> I've just bought my parents (ages: 70/65) a computer and (surprisingly)
> they have taken to it quite quickly. (It wasn't easy getting them to buy
> into it though.) We live on opposite sides on the country and I want to
> set up the ability to have video sessions with them. I already have gotten
> them up to speed with e-mail and MSN chat. Now it's time to up the ante.
>
> I currently have a Quickcam Cordless, but I have to get something else for
> myself. First, it runs on a 2.4 GHz spectrum and it gets interference from
> my 2.4 GHz phone on all 4 channels. Plus, I'm not a fan of the fact it
> shuts itself off every 10 minutes to save the 9V battery. I also may want
> to use it to view what's happening in my home when I'm not there, so it
> needs to be able to be turned on when I log into my computer remotely.
>
> So, I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice webcam for myself and my
> parents that I'll buy and install when I visit them in two weeks. The
> price is not really an obstacle; if it provides a quality video session
> with MSN Messenger, it's worth the price to me. But I notice most consumer
> webcams seem to be less than $200.
>
> I haven't been able to find any good web sites with good webcam reviews.
> So, if anyone has a web site with good webcam reviews, please advise.
>
> I really don't know about all the features I'm reading about and how
> important they are to a quality video session, e.g.,
>
> * face tracking
> * pan/tilt/zoom
> * microphone
> * USB 2.0
>
> Any advice/comments on these features (or ones not mentioned) would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, not sure if I'm going to need headsets to make the most of these
> video sessions instead of using built-in microphones. Don't you get
> feedback from the speakers with these?
>
> My parents and I both have broadband internet service and fast machines
> (P4s and lots of memory).
>
> Thanks for being patient with this long post. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

I'm using a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 to communicate with friends in
Australia from my home in the Netherlands. Works good with MSN, not
with Netmeeting (problem with opening ports on the router(s) )
Quality depents on time of the day/trafic on the net.
I'm not using a headset.

I have also an IP-cam (Sitecom) but on video-quality the Logitech is
lots better.

If you want to try things out, please send me an e-mail.

JanS
www.vakantietreinen.nl

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

I myself have a very old logitech quickcam rectangular model, which
still works like a charm. I don't think my review of it would help,
since it's no longer for sale anyway.
However I can give you some information on what your features mean,
and how important they are:
> * face tracking
This is rather useless. it means that the webcam will rotate and
automatically focuss on your face while you move it. if you just bu a
camera without it, and put it in a nice spot, and dont change the
position of your head too much, it'll work fine :)
> * pan/tilt/zoom
Most of these features can be done trough software, I presume you
already know what they mean
> * microphone
If you've already got a microfone in your monitor, or a seperate one,
this is not needed.
> * USB 2.0
USB 2 has a faster data speed than USB1.1, I don't think this is
really important for a webcam since the data needed to transfer is not
that much. however if you awnt to buy one, make sure the computer
supports USB2, or it will be pretty useless. if you connect it to a
USB1.1 port, it will just run on USB1.1 speed, which is a LOT lower

Hope that helped,
TB

"Sid Joyner" <sid_joyner@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<10mdq4d3gpva82b@corp.supernews.com>...
> Hi All:
>
> I've just bought my parents (ages: 70/65) a computer and (surprisingly) they
> have taken to it quite quickly. (It wasn't easy getting them to buy into it
> though.) We live on opposite sides on the country and I want to set up the
> ability to have video sessions with them. I already have gotten them up to
> speed with e-mail and MSN chat. Now it's time to up the ante.
>
> I currently have a Quickcam Cordless, but I have to get something else for
> myself. First, it runs on a 2.4 GHz spectrum and it gets interference from
> my 2.4 GHz phone on all 4 channels. Plus, I'm not a fan of the fact it shuts
> itself off every 10 minutes to save the 9V battery. I also may want to use
> it to view what's happening in my home when I'm not there, so it needs to be
> able to be turned on when I log into my computer remotely.
>
> So, I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice webcam for myself and my
> parents that I'll buy and install when I visit them in two weeks. The price
> is not really an obstacle; if it provides a quality video session with MSN
> Messenger, it's worth the price to me. But I notice most consumer webcams
> seem to be less than $200.
>
> I haven't been able to find any good web sites with good webcam reviews. So,
> if anyone has a web site with good webcam reviews, please advise.
>
> I really don't know about all the features I'm reading about and how
> important they are to a quality video session, e.g.,
>
> * face tracking
> * pan/tilt/zoom
> * microphone
> * USB 2.0
>
> Any advice/comments on these features (or ones not mentioned) would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also, not sure if I'm going to need headsets to make the most of these video
> sessions instead of using built-in microphones. Don't you get feedback from
> the speakers with these?
>
> My parents and I both have broadband internet service and fast machines (P4s
> and lots of memory).
>
> Thanks for being patient with this long post. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

gerry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:40:24 GMT, "bumtracks" <justaposter@usenet.bud>
wrote:

>Really can't go wrong with the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000,, even find them
>on a two fer one deal at dell sometimes or ebay too.
>most people dont use the face tracking,, gimmick/pia
>the Quickcam Orbit pan/tilt/pia leave a lot to be desired and actually makes
>aiming it static difficult - it wants to park looking into the yonder.

The 4000 is a great cam, only issue is a very flimsy swivel assembly. Very
easy to damage. One minor drop can easily pop the little clip the use to
hold it together out, deform it's plastic tabs so it won't seat tightly. I
ended using PVC cement to hard fix the mount (still swivels fine)

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

Hi All:

Thanks to everyone with all the advice and information. It was very helpful.
Thanks especially for the reference to Tom's Hardware reviews. It was
current and gave some insights.

It seems no one really cares at all about the face tracking, so I assume I'd
even turn this features off if the camera I chose did support it. The
pan/tilt/zoom can be done from software, although I'm not exactly sure that
MSN Messenger supports PTZ within their software. Is the PTZ support a
standard across all cameras? My computer does support USB 2.0, so I'm sure
I'll get a camera that supports the higher speed, even if it isn't required.

I guess my main hardware question that remains is about the microphone. As I
said, I do have a separate (cheap) microphone already. I haven't yet done
any voice chat across the internet, but I'm concerned that if we don't use
headsets (which would be preferable for my parents so I can talk with both
of them at the same time), that there would be feedback or they can hear
their voice echoing back from the speakers on my end. Is this an issue with
people? Or is software taking care of this? I'd really like some advice on
how to get the best quality voice chat; after all, the video may bring the
smiles from my parents, but it won't mean much down the road if the voice
communication is not a pleasant experience.

I'm leaning towards the Logitech Orbit. I know MSN had a relationship with
Logitech in the past so I'd hope their products work well with MSN
Messenger. I've noticed that there is fairly high praise for the Logitech
4000, but isn't the Orbit the same thing with additional features? I am
interested in the aesthetics and it looks like the Orbit would be more
stylish and look much better on my desk than clipping or moving the 4000 all
around every time I want to have a video chat. I really don't know what
people have found out with camera placement. It seems to me that if you're
looking at your party on the monitor with Messenger, you can't be looking
them in the eye when you talk with them (since the camera is not in the
monitor). How do people work this and is one camera better for placement
than others to reduce this effect? Maybe it's not a big deal - I'm just
thinking out loud. But for $30 more (MSRP), it seems like the Orbit may be a
more flexible choice and look better with my system.

I'll probably make a decision either today or tomorrow so any last minute
advices would be appreciated. Once again, thanks very much for all the help
so far. It's been great.

"The Blasphemer" <theblasp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> * face tracking
>> * pan/tilt/zoom
>> * microphone
>> * USB 2.0
>>
>> Any advice/comments on these features (or ones not mentioned) would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Also, not sure if I'm going to need headsets to make the most of these
>> video
>> sessions instead of using built-in microphones. Don't you get feedback
>> from
>> the speakers with these?
>>
>> My parents and I both have broadband internet service and fast machines
>> (P4s
>> and lots of memory).
>>
>> Thanks for being patient with this long post. Any advice would be greatly
>> appreciated.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam,microsoft.public.msn.messenger (More info?)

I have Orbit, 4000 & Logitech Notebook Pro here. Of all I like the Orbit
least because of its habit of ending up in its default parked aimed
position, boot the computer and it exercised left and right and parks -
which is looking out & up at the ceiling here. PIA for me to use pan/tilt
buttons to aim it each time used.

Notebook Pro is slightly better low light and has a slight edge on pic
quality too. Orbit & 4000 qualities are too close to call. Maybe just
design tolerances, i dunno.