Spammers on news articles,some other articles,forums

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It seems that the spammers are getting out of hand.I keep reporting them every day and every few hours but they keep cropping up often.
Perhaps Tom's Hardware should make it more difficult (more of a pain in the ass) to register and be able to post.
Perhaps Toms Hardware should also sue the Spammers or maybe file a complaint against those websites (likely scams probably infested with malware too) listed by the spammers so that they are taken down.
What else can be done?

Thank you for your efforts in reporting the SPAM. It's greatly appreciated, and helps us clean up the SPAM quickly.

We are aware of the issue. The Admin and development teams are working on a solution.

randomizer

Champion
The sites are taken down reasonably quickly. But it takes a few minutes to register a new domain name and the content is all the same on each site (bar the colour scheme) so it's not difficult to multiply the number of domains that they spam.

I see a lot of news sites with similar spammers, so I don't think there is any easy silver bullet. Accountability and authentication are some of the major problems with the internet.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
O.K. well here is just one idea.How about with registration have a fee (credit card,pre paid credit card or paypal) of just say $5 (maybe lower too) to be a registered user (able to post on this forum (or enter contests etc.).If the persistent spammers had to pay a fee and their posts were CONFIRMED Spam and their accounts quickly removed it would not seem likely that they would Spam here because of mounting costs.Also it would benefit Toms Hardware (help pay for hosting,new builds ,stories etc)

Again this is just one quick idea.

Well, good to hear progress is being made. Unfortunately to the OP, I doubt the problem will ever be completely solved, short of making randomizer read and approve every comment post.

Jolly good idea. Just serve him up a tall skinny vodka valium latte every half hour. :D

randomizer

Champion

I think I'll pass the honour onto our resident spam exterminator, mousemonkey.

A hollow point would be my choice, cheaper and much more satisfying. [:mousemonkey]