Upgrade to XP Pro

Hi everyone

I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and I'm
very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and they
say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
when I purchased it.

I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and I'm
prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
problems!

Thanks for your time.
14 answers Last reply
More about upgrade

    Tosca wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
    > that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and I'm
    > very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
    > realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
    > and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
    > having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and they
    > say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
    > when I purchased it.
    >
    > I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and I'm
    > prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
    > from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
    > problems!
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    My guess is that it would be cheaper to buy a copy
    of 98SE from ebay. Then you could buy the upgrade
    version of XP Pro and be legal. Just make sure
    that the 98SE is a legal copy.

    gls858

    If the laptop manufacturer does not offer XP support for your old laptop
    model, you might be better off leaving it the way it is..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    Tosca wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
    > that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and I'm
    > very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
    > realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
    > and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
    > having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and they
    > say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
    > when I purchased it.
    >
    > I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and I'm
    > prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
    > from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
    > problems!
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
    Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
    OS.

    Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
    is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
    installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
    "Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
    true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
    files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

    Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
    for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
    current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
    clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
    there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
    because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
    within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
    you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

    WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
    system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
    translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
    designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
    can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
    important to you, back it up before proceeding.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    If you have Windows 98 installed you should be able to do a clean install
    using an Upgrade version on XP. Boot to the Windows 98 Desktop. Pop the XP
    CD into the CD-Rom. Select Install. Change the install from
    Upgrade[recommended] to New. Follow the on screen prompts and ensure you
    install to C:\Windows. The install will see you have a qualifying product
    and begin some of it's setup. It will reboot and the installation should
    continue resulting in a clean install.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
    > that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and
    > I'm
    > very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
    > realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
    > and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
    > having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and
    > they
    > say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
    > when I purchased it.
    >
    > I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and
    > I'm
    > prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
    > from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
    > problems!
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Since this is an "old Laptop" --
    Laptops tend to have odd hardware configurations, and usually require
    drivers specific to the model or series.
    Make sure that you have XP compatable drivers available on other than the
    hard disk.
    Floppys may be more convenient than a CD, due to CD driver issues that may
    occur.
    Often storing the drivers in a seperat subdirectory or even a partition will
    work, but this is taking a chance.

> [...]
    > Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    > hardware components or applications.
    >
    > You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    > there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    > components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    > Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    > with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    > hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    > models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    > consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    > before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    > hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    > still support Win9x.
    >
    > HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe

    You could just restore win 98 from your restore disks you got along with the
    laptop and purchase a win xp pro upgrade disk. That would be the cheapest
    thing to do. But I would seriously reccommend you buy a full copy of win
    xp. That would make for the most stable and trouble free install. Plus if
    anything goes wrong you have a full operating system disc not just an
    upgrade disk.

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
    > that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and
    I'm
    > very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
    > realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
    > and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
    > having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and
    they
    > say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
    > when I purchased it.
    >
    > I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and
    I'm
    > prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
    > from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
    > problems!
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    I won't spend any time talking about making sure your old Laptop is
    compatible with XP {how old is it?] since everyone else has covered that
    very well. What I will say is that IF you buy an upgrade version of XP {$199
    approx.) and install it over an OEM version of any Windows OS [which, from
    your post, appears to be what you have], you will continue the OEM
    restriction of the original Windows installation which basically locks it to
    use on that old Laptop [you cannot move it if you buy a new Computer]. I
    would suggest that you either buy a new computer OR buy the full retail
    version of XP Pro [$250-$299 approx.] because it does not perpetuate the OEM
    restriction [forever locked to one machine].
    Gene
    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery disc
    > that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro preinstalled and
    > I'm
    > very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP Pro (I
    > realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am investigating this)
    > and I'd like to know if there is any sort of upgrade disc that I can use
    > having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the manufacturer of the laptop and
    > they
    > say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state it was
    > when I purchased it.
    >
    > I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc and
    > I'm
    > prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of upgrading
    > from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP Pro without any
    > problems!
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Oh and dont worry about hardware conflicts in xp. I have installed Xp on
    old machines designed for win 98 and had them run very well. Win Xp
    supports lots of hardware both old and new. But the best thing would be to
    download the new drivers for your hardware when you get xp.

    Jake wrote:
    > Oh and dont worry about hardware conflicts in xp. I have installed Xp on
    > old machines designed for win 98 and had them run very well. Win Xp
    > supports lots of hardware both old and new. But the best thing would be to
    > download the new drivers for your hardware when you get xp.

    Then you've been very lucky.

    Mike Hall wrote:
    > If the laptop manufacturer does not offer XP support for your old laptop
    > model, you might be better off leaving it the way it is..

    Also remember that XP may run exremely slow on older equipment.
    Check the minimum requirements. If you just meet the minimum
    I doubt that you will be satisfied with the performance.

    gls858

    Gene K wrote:
    > I won't spend any time talking about making sure your old Laptop is
    > compatible with XP {how old is it?] since everyone else has covered that
    > very well. What I will say is that IF you buy an upgrade version of XP {$199
    > approx.) and install it over an OEM version of any Windows OS [which, from
    > your post, appears to be what you have], you will continue the OEM
    > restriction of the original Windows installation which basically locks it to
    > use on that old Laptop [you cannot move it if you buy a new Computer]. I
    > would suggest that you either buy a new computer OR buy the full retail
    > version of XP Pro [$250-$299 approx.] because it does not perpetuate the OEM
    > restriction [forever locked to one machine].
    > Gene

    To clarify a bit:

    While it's true that the original OEM Win98 license is forever bound to
    that specific laptop, the OP would be permitted to remove and transfer
    the retail WinXP Upgrade license, should he/she elect to do so at a
    later date. Of course, the newer computer to which it's transfered
    would have to have a license for an earlier, qualifying OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thank you for all of the comments. It's provoked quite a healthy exchange
    and varied ideas. I'll ask a reputable computer maintenance company to
    assess my old IBM laptop (3 - 4 years old) and, if they think that it will
    run XP Pro satisfactorily, I'll upgrade. As I said, I do have a new laptop
    with XP Pro and I wanted to have two so I could "play" with things more (as
    an academic exercise) such as home networking, file sharing, RD etc. between
    them. I know I could play with these features between 98SE and XP Pro but
    98SE is bound to "die" soon as an OS and everyone will be using more recent
    OSs.

    Tosca

    If you go to the IBM website and do a search for support on your model, and
    you don't find any evidence of XP drivers and programs listed, there is a
    really good chance that XP will not give you all of the functions that you
    have now.. IBM make many changes and revisions of what appears to be fairly
    stock stuff..

    Your best bet is to run your XP CD in W98, and use option 4 to do a
    compatibility check.. this will tell you what will NOT run as expected..
    then look in the IBM website whatever you need.. if it is not there, you are
    out of luck..

    --

    Gene K wrote:
    > I won't spend any time talking about making sure your old Laptop is
    > compatible with XP {how old is it?] since everyone else has covered
    > that very well. What I will say is that IF you buy an upgrade version
    > of XP {$199 approx.) and install it over an OEM version of any
    > Windows OS [which, from your post, appears to be what you have], you
    > will continue the OEM restriction of the original Windows
    > installation which basically locks it to use on that old Laptop [you
    > cannot move it if you buy a new Computer]. I would suggest that you
    > either buy a new computer OR buy the full retail version of XP Pro
    > [$250-$299 approx.] because it does not perpetuate the OEM
    > restriction [forever locked to one machine]. Gene
    > "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone

    No it doesn't, the only part locked to the laptop is the original OEM
    software. When the upgrade is moved to a new computer, the laptop will need
    to be returned to the original configuration and this frees up the retail
    license.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    >> I have an old laptop with 98SE preinstalled and I have the recovery
    >> disc that came with it. I have a second laptop with XP Pro
    >> preinstalled and I'm
    >> very happy with XP Pro. I'd like to upgrade the old laptop to XP
    >> Pro (I realise that there may be hardware conflicts but I am
    >> investigating this) and I'd like to know if there is any sort of
    >> upgrade disc that I can use having reinstalled 98SE. I've asked the
    >> manufacturer of the laptop and they
    >> say that they only provide a disc that will restore it to the state
    >> it was when I purchased it.
    >>
    >> I suspect that I may have to buy a standard copy of the XP Pro disc
    >> and I'm
    >> prepared to do that - unless there's a cheaper and legal way of
    >> upgrading from 98SE. That is assuming that the laptop will run XP
    >> Pro without any problems!
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.

Laptops Windows XP