8800gtx please help

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I i recently got an EVGA 8800gtx it seems to be performing really slow. I RMA it and now i got a new one and now its the same thing. It performs just like my old x850 pro by ati.

My specs:
intel pentium D 940 @3.6ghz
ddr2 667 2 gigs
74gb raptor HD
700watt psu by thermaltake
p5n32-sli motherboard

I am getting a score of 12,000 in 3dmark03. I have already RMA the card once and i am getting the smae thing. I am using driver 97.02 for my 8800gtx

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
so wait wait, your RMAing a GFX BECAUSE IT GETS A LOW SCORE IN A BENCHMARK? a BENCHMARK 4 years old!?

I mean what do u get in 06 or 05? how do your games plays that what matters the most is game play.

jesus give an 8800GTX to the people who dont need it why dont yea santa! :roll:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Did you use Driver cleaner to remove the previous ATI drivers? Try that, and if no luck consider RMA or check all of the connections such as the power cables to the card.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
That is aslo possible if you can reformat your comp its the best way to get rid of EVERYTHING that might conflict with your GFX card

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I get about the same performce in all my games with the 8800gtx. I have tryed uninstalling the drivers too but it is no use i get the same thing. Also when i first boot my computer up it flashes red colors but it does not stall or anything it continuse to boot windows. I dont get flashing red colors in windows but only when i am installing the video drivers it does that. Where can i get that driver cleaner

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
There's a lot of people having issues with the 97.02 drivers with the 8800's series. I too had the slowdown issue. I switched to the CD driver that came with the card. It worked pretty good, but I still had a few issues with artifacting.

The 97.28 beta came out and I've been gaming on it for a week. It's been good and I have few complaints. The issues we are having are driver related. Just try to find the driver that works best with your system until Nvidia can get something out better. Do make sure you use a driver clearner program before you reinstall these drivers.

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21918

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
could it be that my card has the wrong transistor on it if so how would i be able to tell if it has the wrong one??

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I doubt it's your resistor. One of mine has the 39 and the other the 40 resistor. The incorrect value is the 68 which was supposed to have been corrected before launch. Here's the article if you want to check your card.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

Did you try the different drivers? Use the driver that's on your CD. If that doesn't work there's the 97.28 beta. Did you also follow the steps to clean your drivers before re-installing? This is what I normally do.

1. Uninstall Nvidia drivers from the control panel.
2. Re-boot into safe mode.
3. Run driver cleaner program of your choice.
4. Re-boot and install video drivers.
5. Re-boot again.

You should score with a 8800 GTX anywhere around 9-12K on 3dmark06 depending on your set-up. Let me know what you have tried so far.

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
ok thanx guys im going to try reinstalling everything. Also is it normal when i boot my computer it flashes red colors when it boots past the bios it also does it when installing drivers??

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I checked the resistor and it has no number instead it is painted a blue color. does this mean its a bad one cause there should be ether the 40c or the 39c there

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Someone else had the blue resistor, but I don't think he was having trouble. So far as I know the tech support didn't comment on if the blue resistor having the correct value or not.

Did the re-installing help? Try this first since it takes a few minutes and is the least drastic. Don't use the 97.02. Either use the CD which is 96 somthing(I think) or the beta drivers. I was never able to get the 97.02 working properly. The other drivers solved the slowdown issue for me. The 97.28 has been the best especially with sli.

Good luck, welcome to the bleeding edge of technology :D

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
ok thanx guys im going to try reinstalling everything. Also is it normal when i boot my computer it flashes red colors when it boots past the bios it also does it when installing drivers??

What is flashing red? Your mainboard lcds or the lights on the front on your case? Try to be more specific.

Post some of your specs including the brand of 8800 you have.

Thanks

bananabox

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
There's a lot of people having issues with the 97.02 drivers with the 8800's series. I too had the slowdown issue. I switched to the CD driver that came with the card. It worked pretty good, but I still had a few issues with artifacting.

The 97.28 beta came out and I've been gaming on it for a week. It's been good and I have few complaints. The issues we are having are driver related. Just try to find the driver that works best with your system until Nvidia can get something out better. Do make sure you use a driver clearner program before you reinstall these drivers.

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21918

wow surfer you have a bad ass system. i just messed myself when i read the sig

icyballz

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
like when i start up my computer and when it reports what ur memory timings are stuff like that it runs real choppy and my screen flashes red colors flickering on and off. it does the for a few seconds then it continues to load up windows fine.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Make sure you have the power wired to two dedicated 12v rails. Most 700 watt are ample for a single 8800GTX just make sure it's getting adequate juice. There are plenty of threads on this you can research but my guess is your supply should work fine. You also might check to see if you have the latest BIOS for your mainboard. After this just try running your rig in default BIOS mode without any o/c or advanced settings.

Another thing to check is what video BIOS your card is running. The latest I've seen is Version 60.80.07.00.11
The blinking red lights you are describing are weird unless other people whom have the same board are having the same occurrences. I would take this as a sign that something is off.

I would first try to trouble shoot and see if it is indeed a power issue. Then research and make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mainboard and video cards.