How good is my system?

HEMI_Engine

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Hello all.

New to the forums and a PC gamer.

I've been reading a lot about computer tech and how quickly it's advancing. And I have a few questions.

About a year ago I had a rig built for three general purposes.

-Gaming
-Movie
-Music

A relative of mine builds PCs so I consulted him, told him what I wanted and what I wanted it for and let him do the rest. I'm not computer savvy enough to build my own.

My System: Taken mainly from CPU-Z (Sorry for my noobness :p )

Board: Abit AW8 - Intel i955X
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz O/Ced - 4.0 Ghz
Memory: 2048 MB DDR2 Dual-Channel Corsair - PC-4300 (266MHz)
Video: ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512 MB PCIE
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi

My question is: Will this system last me another year for what I'm using it for?

I'm asking because I've been reading up on things and am considering building a new rig in a year's time. (Vista, DirectX10, Quad-Core)

Replies greatly appreciated.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
depends on how hardcore of a gamer you are, i would have upgraded a while ago if i where you, but thats just me. with a C2D and a better video card you would see better performance.

HEMI_Engine

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
That's why I'm asking.

I have been toying with the idea of a Dual Core and/or video card upgrade for the last few months, to take me to the end of my two year target period.

About the gaming. I'm not too hard core, but I play alot of FPS and love eye candy. Just finished playing F.E.A.R and play a lot of America's Army.

HEMI_Engine

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Haven't thought too much into that yet. I'm 17, money isn't growing on my trees. :lol:

I do know that I'm aiming to spend 2-4 thousand when I upgrade a year from now when I build from scratch.

Say this was your system, how much would you spend on a CPU/GPU combo, and what would you buy?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
money? ha! thats what parents are for! thats what i do anyway...

if i had 2000-4000 to build a new system for myself i would be in heaven, my lastest system (parts are in the mail now) was capped at about $1500.

anyway, i would drop about $1700 (asuming you have about $3000 to spend.) on gfx and cpu, right now i would get a QX6700 and an 8800gtx. of course i would drop alot of cash ($400+) on water cooling (oc-ing ftw!) so that would take a good chunk out of my budget. that would leave me $1300 for the rest.

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Are you freaking kidding?

That system should be absolutely fine. The graphics card is not top of the line, but is still quite good.

I would wait until the end of this year, when Dx10 is mainstream, vista has reduced errors, c2d is even more advanced, and we have the arrival of ddr3.

I think it would be a waste of your money to upgrade at the current moment, when you can look to see what is on the horizon.

spectre666

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
i agree with floge03. there is alot of new technology coming out within the next 6 months ~ 1year. i would wait. Besides the DX10, Vista, and DDR3, AMD is coming out with 65nm cpu's as well as quad core's. I think AMD's 65's will slaughter the anyting intel has. (this is based on how long amd was beating intel with thier 90nm chips). But, really its up to you.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
If you are rich, build a new system.

If you like to have the pockets full of it, that pc will last you another year doing everything you do today. not dx10 of course

Get drunk with your friends and buy a new pc next year :D