Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

gls858 (gls858@yahoo.com) wrote

>You can contact Microsoft and they will provide a copy of SP2
>on CD for free or you can download it from their site. It includes
>all previous fixes.

Thanks.

>What error messages are you getting
>when you get the BSOD?

There's the rub. They started about 6 months ago and I meticulously
sent the error reports to Microsoft and followed their advice, to no
avail. The easier option became to hit the off button as soon as they
appeared because the data - apart from numerous references to
win32k.sys - were so varied.

I can't read the minidump files and, as far as I can see, 'event
viewer' does not record the crashes. I'll try to be more sensible if,
or, rather, when, the next occurs and post it here.

Tony.

Tony wrote:
> gls858 (gls858@yahoo.com) wrote
>

>>You can contact Microsoft and they will provide a copy of SP2
>>on CD for free or you can download it from their site. It includes
>>all previous fixes.
>

> Thanks.
>

>>What error messages are you getting
>>when you get the BSOD?
>

> There's the rub. They started about 6 months ago and I meticulously
> sent the error reports to Microsoft and followed their advice, to no
> avail. The easier option became to hit the off button as soon as they
> appeared because the data - apart from numerous references to
> win32k.sys - were so varied.
>
> I can't read the minidump files and, as far as I can see, 'event
> viewer' does not record the crashes. I'll try to be more sensible if,
> or, rather, when, the next occurs and post it here.
>
> Tony.
Are you getting stop error message when it blue screens or
does your machine just automatically reboot? If it's
just rebooting, there is a parameter that will make it stop
at the BSOD so that you can see the stop error. It would
look something like this:

Stop 0xc0000218 (0xe11a30e8, 0x00000000, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)
UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR

You can search on the stop error message in the MS Knowledge Base.

gls858