Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling Radiator Question

Last response: in Overclocking
December 8, 2006 12:25:55 AM

I currently have a Aquaxtreme MP-05 block, Swiftech MCP655 pump, Swiftech MCRES Micro res and one Black Ice Stealth 120 Radiator.

I have a x1900xt, which I was thinking of watercooling. Before I get the block for the video card, I was wondering if it is possible to run an E6600 (potentially overclocked a lot) and an x1900xt with just one radiator and still get cool temperatures?

The reason I ask this is because I do not have the room to upgrade to a bigger radiator.

Just for reference, my cpu runs at 30c idle.
December 8, 2006 12:31:23 AM

Sure you can do it, but the actual question is if you will be comfortable with the temperatures?
Sadly for you the Stealths are designed for low CFM fans, so upgrading to a noisy/powerful fan wont do much improvement (if any at all).
December 8, 2006 12:33:10 AM

set 2 fans on to the rad in push pull it should handle it...
Related resources
December 8, 2006 12:45:23 AM

What type of temperatures would I be getting?

I would rather get a quiet db fan also.
December 8, 2006 2:57:06 AM

Very hard to tell, you have a very nice WB and pump but without dual rad support...
I hate to do this, but have you seen the Thermaltake Aquabay M2? It fits in two 5.25 bays, since you lack of space for a second rad.
December 8, 2006 9:43:00 AM

Are there any other 5.25 bay radiators?

I have a place for a fan in the front of my pc, could that fit another radiator?
December 8, 2006 10:52:18 AM

You won't get good air flow with a bay radiator, don't even go there.
I use outside air to cool my radiator (NY is chilly right now), and my CPU temp is 21C (69F), won't even hit 80F under load. It'll get cooler too, I haven't had it on but 10 minutes.
One thing I'll do this weekend is insulate my resevoir, my sig is old, it runs way cooler now.
December 8, 2006 11:33:02 AM

True, youll need at least 3-4 bays to run it effectively because the hot air it'll draw from the drives will heat up the rad.
How about modding your case? Adding a few holes for the tubbing and sticking the radiator outside with heavy duty tape??
December 8, 2006 12:12:12 PM

Okay here is the problem.

If I mount a double radiator from the top 4 holes, it will hang down and block my video card slots. If i were to mount a double from the bottom 4 holes, the top will go over the exit fan for my psu.

Would that be bad if the radiator blocks the psu exit?

If you don't understand me, I will provide pictures.
December 8, 2006 12:23:45 PM

Here is a sample picture.

The black outline is the radiator, mounted from the bottom four fan holes.

The white circle is the 80mm exit from from my psu.

Would it be a problem if the radiator blocked that exit?

*That 80mm exhaust fan is the hottest exhaust coming out of my case*

Would that heat up the radiator?

December 8, 2006 12:42:26 PM

Your best bet would be to mount your rad on the top of your case. Drill a couple of holes for your tubing, secure the rad, and you're good to go.
December 8, 2006 12:45:23 PM

I don't have any room internally (psu).

However, I would rather not mount it in a visible place (top of case as you said) as it will ruin the sleekness of my case.
December 8, 2006 2:55:47 PM

With the Swiftech Radbox, I have mine hanging over my expansion slots and still have room to plug the only thing that it actually blocks in (my sound cable.) There is about 2 1/2" between my case and the bottom of the rad so that is good. I idle at 19C, load at 26C with a dual 120mm rad.
December 8, 2006 5:58:08 PM

I think that would work for me also. Do you have a link to the rad box?
December 8, 2006 7:59:22 PM

Lol, I think the sleekness would increase with rad mounted anywhere visible. But sure as long as the Radbox gets the job done.
December 8, 2006 8:33:52 PM

That is how I plan on doing it, and I think itll look sleek as hell :D 
December 10, 2006 6:23:54 PM

Sorry I was away for the weekend.

Anyways, that would be awesome. I never thought of mounting it on the otherside of the case. That would be a great idea. Although, that would be the biggest "mod out of all of the possible solutions. It would hid the radiator, but have it visible if i wanted it to be.
December 10, 2006 6:48:18 PM

Just remember that you will need REALLY silent fans and shower rod holders on the outside to get that really clean look :wink:
December 10, 2006 6:59:56 PM

Yeah.

The whole point of the watercooling (for me) was to get quiet fans and have cool temperatures. I am planning on getting these fans Scythe
Do they put out enough CFM, because they are near dead silent.

Also what do you mean by shower rod holders?

I was trying to think in my mind how to mount the radiator and fans and what to mount them with?

Any ideas?
December 10, 2006 7:17:54 PM

Thats a really silent fan, but if you want the best performance in that range get a SilenX one. My favorite radiator fan as of now.

The shower rod holders are for the holes youll drill in the case. To mount it I would advice you to use heavy duty double sided tape, the kind that holds 2lbs for each inch.
December 10, 2006 7:29:39 PM

Yeah. I was looking into those also.

Should I mount the fans against the case or the radiator against the case?

If I mount the fans against the case, they will have no air to pull.
December 10, 2006 9:38:33 PM

Quote:
If I mount the fans against the case, they will have no air to pull.

Then you've answered your own question :wink:
December 10, 2006 9:49:31 PM

I guess I have.
December 10, 2006 10:39:17 PM

PM me some pics once the project is done, no mattering how you decide to mount the rads :D 
December 10, 2006 10:52:25 PM

I will. Just got the Silenx fans.

However, I am having second thoughts about getting the radiator yet.

I think I might wait until the R600 or later to get a new watercooled graphics card. Then I would need the dual radiator to cool both the graphics and cpu.

Until then though I think I will be just fine running the cpu with a silenx fan on the single radiator.
December 10, 2006 11:17:41 PM

Yeah better off that way, whats the max youve overclocked the E6600 on that loop?
Two rads on the side of the case would be wicked cool :wink:
December 10, 2006 11:28:04 PM

Well it was running at 29 idle with the stock NZXT case fan. However, right now I am replacing the loop with some red PrimoChill ice coolant, installing some new (safer) spring clamps, and going to install my new Silenx fans! Once, that is completed I will reinstall the loop, post pictures and overclock. I think I should be able to easily reach 3.0ghz.
December 10, 2006 11:31:50 PM

You've got to be shitt!ng me. You'll reach 4Ghz or you may not call yourself an overclocker :twisted:
I'll give a lesson on optimizing the P5W once youve got everything up and running, just PM me.
December 10, 2006 11:33:31 PM

Do you have xfire or aim?

My screen name for both is floge03.
December 10, 2006 11:35:48 PM

Just MSN for now, my s/n is in the profile.
December 10, 2006 11:37:54 PM

Darn. You should get them both.

According to Speedfan, my something on my P5W, not sure what (called fan 3) runs at 129c. I assume it is either the NB or the SB because both are burning hot to the touch.

However, in ASUS AI Booster it says my system is running at 40c. Any idea what speedfan is telling me is so hot?
December 10, 2006 11:43:08 PM

Check Speedfan's readme file or something becaus I've never used that program so I couldnt accurately tell. But your assumptions are probably correct.
December 10, 2006 11:51:01 PM

I checked another asus program called PC Probe II and it says my motherboard temperature is 40c also. So maybe it is something the matter with Speedfan, im not sure.
December 11, 2006 12:13:34 AM

I would not worry too much about cooling as a 120mm radiator is quite sufficient for cooling your cpu.If you fell it is not doing its job,then you have the option of buying an external radiator and fan setup.But when I say you should be fine with your current setup,just check out my machine specs,you'll see what I mean.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
!