IDE HDD with SATA not working......?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, I have a SATA drive, complete with OS running fine. I want to use an old Western Digital IDE HDD I have laying around for archiving data, but I cannot access it AT ALL when I plug it in. The IDE used to be my old primary drive before I upgraded, so I think it has the MBR on it.

I have a Gigabyte S3 mobo, and an IDE Optical (DVD).

I've tried different jumper settings, master/slave, boot order, blah blah. The IDE will show up during POST, but in Windows when I go to My Computer/Manage/Disk Management, it doesn't show up. I know this IDE drive works. Just to be sure, I even tried another IDE I have laying around and same problem, so I'm thinking it must be a setting or such that's the culprit.

So, in a nutshell: How to get an IDE drive working with a SATA as my primary???

Thanks in advance.

pat

Expert
Ok, I have a SATA drive, complete with OS running fine. I want to use an old Western Digital IDE HDD I have laying around for archiving data, but I cannot access it AT ALL when I plug it in. The IDE used to be my old primary drive before I upgraded, so I think it has the MBR on it.

I have a Gigabyte S3 mobo, and an IDE Optical (DVD).

I've tried different jumper settings, master/slave, boot order, blah blah. The IDE will show up during POST, but in Windows when I go to My Computer/Manage/Disk Management, it doesn't show up. I know this IDE drive works. Just to be sure, I even tried another IDE I have laying around and same problem, so I'm thinking it must be a setting or such that's the culprit.

So, in a nutshell: How to get an IDE drive working with a SATA as my primary???

Thanks in advance.

the drive label on the WD should clearly indicate that running it alone as MASTER needs the jumper to be completly removed

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Right. Did that, unplugged my optical (just to be sure), and booted up. IDE drive is recognized in BIOS, but not in Windows.......don't know why.

The IDE drive used to be my previous OS drive....so dunno if it still has the MBR on it. Can't format it because I don't have a floppy and the IDE doesn't know up in My Computer/Manage/Disk Management. So I don't even know how to wipe it clean to start over from scratch.......