SATA DVD Burner 33$

G

Lite-On newegg

SH-16A7S-05 - OEM

Free shipping when paying with paypal. Was pretty impressed when I saw it, I bought one. Wont be able to try it for another 2 weeks so I cannot vouch for it.

Also got a DVD reader from ZipZoom : Liteon SHD-16S1S 16X Serial ATA DVD-ROM (Black)

Also SATA. Hope they gonna work well, got a few IDE laying around for MS installation if anything goes wrong.

My Cable management is going to r0x0r! =)

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I just saw that. It got a bad review so instead I went for the retail model for $36.00. I doubt I'll have any problems with it. I purchased a cheap $20.00 Lite On SATA DVD-ROM from Newegg a few months ago but they're no longer carrying it. It has worked perfectly with my DQ6.

G

Actually when I said it went up 2$ I was wrong looking at the drive you specified.

I just realized the difference in SKU
SH-16A7S-06 vs the -05.

I actually bought one form my friend since they're not really available in Canada, looks like I'll be keeping the 06 one 8).

Do you have any links to Reviews? or you're talking about Newegg review?

I don't really care about performance, only media compability and even then I usually buy branded quality DVD's and the difference between a 5min Burn and a 6 min is pretty insignificant for me.

I am just a cable management junky =)

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Yeah, I meant the buyer reviews. The DVD-ROM drive I got earlier performs a bit slower than my previous Lite-On IDE DVD-ROM but that's because I haven't been able to flash the firmware to speed it up. Like you said, a difference of a few minutes (when ripping) is not a deal-breaker. It also came set to region 2 by default so I had to change it to 1. I used the LtnRPC utility to reset the region counter but I'm not sure if this will work with the burner.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
All I have to say is: ITS ABOUT TIME! I mean, SATA has been around for a very long time, and only now do companies start releasing DECENTLY priced SATA optical drives?

If I had any need to get a new optical drive, I'd be all over that.

G

I saw some rig with neat cable folding. And I do fold them when possible.
I would say folded cables are better then Rounded, but not better then SATA. You can route sata anyway you want the cables are flexible, thin and narrow, they can get through holes and such and are easily tie wrapped.

Also I will probably go with the P5N32-E SLi
13-131-073-04.JPG

As you can see the placement of the IDE is so ackward, it wouldn't look/be good at least near the motherboard.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I saw some rig with neat cable folding. And I do fold them when possible.
I would say folded cables are better then Rounded, but not better then SATA. You can route sata anyway you want the cables are flexible, thin and narrow, they can get through holes and such and are easily tie wrapped.

Also I will probably go with the P5N32-E SLi
13-131-073-04.JPG

As you can see the placement of the IDE is so ackward, it wouldn't look/be good at least near the motherboard.

The power cables sucked because they were all wrapped, and I added in a second DVD drive so it doesn't look as neat...but to give you an idea of what can be achieved with a ribbon cable:

DSC07685.JPG

It's possible to see where the IDE cable connects to the motherboard; under the main ATX power cable it wraps around the motherboard tray. The area at the optical drives could probably be cleaned up with about 10 minutes of work. I'm not very clear as to how you think SATA cables are better than that.