Initializing network provider? Need help please...

CanadianOx

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Ive bought this D-link adapter Cable to play Starcraft On IPX but i cant figure out whats wrongs, on one computer (PIII) has no problem creating a game, and has a network card. On the other computer (PI) it says Cannot initialize network provider, (also having a network card) when i try to create a game... I've read trouble shooting but cant seem to figure it out. Its just a simple cable the plugs into one computer and into the other, no router or anything. Is there Anyone out that can help me?

CanadianOx

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I believe it is. If it is can i do this without internet? niether of them have internet.

Im very frustrated right now, i know computers but ive never dealt with network stuff like this. i have no clue where to start

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Internet is not need for tying 2 computer together. A crossover cable is required if you don't have a router/hub/switch. I do it on a regular basis. In the network connection CP, select your NIC card, rt click properties. Then scroll down to TCP/IP select then properties. Then select "Use the following IP". Enter IP like "192.168.xxx.xxx", 255.255.255.0 Each computer must have a different IP (last number set) You do not need anything in the DNS section.

Once both pc have been set, try to ping each computer.

You can turn on/install file and printer sharing form the Port Connection Properties. Make sure both PC are in the same group.