Sign in with
Your question

Help me solve a heating mystery!

Last response: in Systems
December 8, 2006 5:19:11 AM

I still can't seem to get my temps down in this system, can anyone figure out what I am doing wrong?

I've got the following:
CM Stacker 830
2x 4 in 3 Modules with Stock Fans (120mm) (Est. 20CFM) (Blows into case)
2 Silenx 120mm Fans (Est. 60 CFM) (Blows into case)
1 Rear Coolermaster Fan (120mm Came w/ Case) (Est. 11 CFM?) (Blows out of case)

Processor:
E6600 2.4 Ghz (No OC)
Tuniq Tower w/ AS5 applied w/ Stock Fan

Graphics Card:
EVGA 8800GTX

Generally my temps idle close to 40C (Asus Probe), or 42C (Core Temp). Ambient temperatures in my room are around 23C.

Should I add more fans, move the fans around, change the intakes and outtakes? Help someone! I've read over and over people getting temps close to 28C using only air cooling (as I am), and although I don't expect the same, I'd at least like to get it down to the low 30s w/o water cooling.

Suggestions? Help?

More about : solve heating mystery

December 8, 2006 6:15:34 AM

Right on.

Basically, all you need is just 2 120mm fans, lower front, and upper rear.
As for the fan in the side panel - it is a good option, but you dont need that with a core 2 duo. I just drilled a bunch of holes in the side panel, so the air gets sucked in by itself. that seems to be enough.
December 8, 2006 6:59:24 AM

Um, your temps are normal bro! My temps are almost identical to yours. Dont worry about it :) 
Related resources
December 8, 2006 7:07:07 AM

Good to know. I've got a replacement rear fan (since the one that comes with the case isn't that great) that will give around 60~70CFM, and a top fan (will be used for out take), that will give a good 40~50 CFM, both of these fans are on the way and should actually be here tomorrow :-)
December 8, 2006 7:09:07 AM

I know the temps are in the normal range, but being the picky person I am, I'm aiming for something better. (Gives me more leeway for OCing experimentation, at least until I convert my set up to water cooling in the summer)
December 8, 2006 7:13:21 AM

OK, well then get a better (Higher RPM) side panel fan(s) and ensure that it blows alot of cool air towards the CPU fan.. That should bring the temps down. You should have more air coming into the case than going out.. That is, you must strive to have a greater "pressure" inside the case.
December 8, 2006 7:17:39 AM

Quote:
Let the exhaust fans pull in the air thats needed.

Exhaust fans suck air out of the case, not pull air in..
December 8, 2006 10:05:30 AM

Quote:
Let the exhaust fans pull in the air thats needed.

Exhaust fans suck air out of the case, not pull air in..

Well in a manner of speaking it does. The case isn't going to be air tight, so the air being exhausted has to be replaced from somewhere. That somewhere is from the outside of the case, otherwise you would be creating a vaccum, which isn't going to happen. So as air is pushed out, air rushes in from somewhere to replace it. The reason you have intake fans is to guarentee where the air is coming from (and being directed over/towards). Otherwise the air coming in could be coming in from anywhere, even from the back where the warm air is being exhausted. I have heard all types of theories on how best to accomplish air cooling. Some say that the pressure should be higher in the case (more intake than exhaust) and some say the reverse. To me direction is the key (as specified by the ATX specs), intake at the bottom front, exhaust at the mid to upper rear. If you have an ATX motherboard, that was the way it was designed and thats why the CPU is always near the top rear corner of the motherboard.
December 8, 2006 10:15:39 AM

OK, sounds like it can work either way.

But i still maintain that the better method of cooling would be to bring in as much cool air as possible. Since that would keep the ambient temperature in the case lower, thus keeping the hardware components cooler.

The exhaust fans would then ensure that the "warmed-up" air gets expelled from the case. Creating a nice airflow cycle inside the case.

Also, try and reduce case clutter by removing any unused cables. Then use cable ties to "zip up" the cables in use so that they dont restrict the airflow.
December 8, 2006 12:00:33 PM

Not to beat a dead horse any more than it has already been...but the key to air cooling is a combination of the delta in temperature from the hot components and the air around it, and the rate at which the air is removed.

The rate at which heat moves is directly proportional to the difference in the temperature between the hot and the cold. For example a room temperature beer (I love examples with beer.) will become colder faster if you put it in the freezer rather than if you put it in the refrigerator. The greater difference in the temperatures within the freezer makes the heat move more quickly.

Of course now comes the point on the rate of air flow. If the air flow is non-existant, then the delta in temperatures will get smaller and smaller until an equalibrium is reached. Air flow is important to keep the delta in temperatures a reletive constant.

The point on the pushing air in vs. pulling air out should be obvious - it is best to have a constant flow of air going in and being pulled out - Either solution on their own would give less than optimal results.

I hope this helps to solve the issue at hand. Keep good air flow helps to ensure a good delta in air temperatures. Couple this with a good heat exchanger (I.E. the heatsink and fan) and you will be in good shape.

Cheers.
!